Search

Air NZ/NZ advice

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2006, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA *S, Hyatt DIA, *W/IC Plat, HH Gold, A3 *G, Sixt Plat
Air NZ/NZ advice

Hello,

Looking for some Air NZ and advice on New Zealand in general. My wife and I will be flying from LAX - PPT, spending 9 nights there, then stopping in AKL for 5 nights on the way back (1 stopover included/allowed with AA award).

I had a wild idea to do only 2 nights in Auckland/NZ, then fly Virgin Blue low cost across the Tasmanian Sea to see SYD for a few nights. I think she's talked me out of trying to do both NZ and Australia in 5 nights...I wouldn't do justice to either, so we're going to New Zealand.

What advice would the NZ FTers have for me as far as:

- Things not to miss in NZ?
- Which cities to hit for sure? AKL, Christchurch, Wellington?
- Any Air NZ passes that allow seeing 3 or more cities in one trip?
- Best wine country area?
- Best nature/fjords? I have read a bit on Milford on South Island.

We'll be coming off of a relaxing French Polynesia time, and will be looking for more of the same, mixed in with some city life interaction...

Thanks!
Old Jul 15, 2006, 7:49 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
5 nights isn't enough time to do more than scratch the surface. I'd pick one area and concentrate on that. What time of year are you visiting? Some places are nicer in winter and others nicer in summer. Also are you interested in culture, natural beauty, adventure stuff, outdoors (hiking, lazing on a beach)?

I'm not aware of any passes but NZ fares are all available one way so you can combine to suit your itinerary. As long as you book early enough (and have set plans) it shouldn't be too expensive to fly around - but some destinations more expensive than others.

In the Australia and South Pacific forum there is stickied NZ master thread which may give you some ideas (and further questions).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.