Old Feb 3, 2005, 7:16 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Could see no signs of any refurbishment a month ago
Old Feb 3, 2005, 7:20 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Originally Posted by gratn
They certainly let me check in about 4 hours or so early the last time I flew LAX-AKL. I arrived at about 7pm (ex LAS) and tried to transfer onto NZ1 (2? I can never remeber) which departed 9.45pm (I think). It was full so I was stuck with NZ5 which didn't leave until 11.30pm or so. There was no problem getting my baording pass and checking my bags....I just killed time by having dinner at the restaurant in the flying saucer thingy in the middle of LAX (very dull meal) then went up to the NZ lounge at about 8.30 or 9pm.

Rather than fight for a late check out from the Marriott and then being stuck with the child at LAX for a few hours I would still shell out the bucks for an airport hotel room overnight. I got some funny looks when I checked in and out of the Sheraton Gateway within about 3 or 4 hours, but it was worth the $US30 I paid.
Thats good to know check-in opens early in LAX. On the short hotel stay I did similar in SFO. As an added bonus, mentioned at check-in that I would be checking out really early and so wont be able to take advantage of the included breakfast, and they gave me several nice drink chits ^
Old Feb 4, 2005, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Could see no signs of any refurbishment a month ago
Not only that, but also some of the more comfy recliners that used to be in the LAX lounge have gone missing.
Old Feb 24, 2005, 7:48 pm

Programs: NZ *S
Originally Posted by kiwibigdave
Not 35,000.

This year I'll make maybe five NSN-AKL returns, a pair of AKL-LAX, and one set of domestic US miles LAX-TPA. That won't add up to 35k miles.

And thanks everyone else for your thoughts, I think I'll join up with KC, especially as I know I'll have 8 hours to kill at LAX later in the year with Mrs and baby KBD in tow . . .
Are you sure you're not my clone b.dave?

I fly NSN-AKL rtn 5-10 times a year and off-shore once a year or so. A year or two back I was up to AKL every 4 weeks or so and tossed up KC, after being given the odd free pass at check-in after a lengthy delay.

Last year we tried the BNE-AKL business class and thought the lounge was the best part of the whole deal (320 business seats are pretty cramped really). This trip bumped me up to silver and I've got one silver KC pass, but was thinking of joining KC if it allows overseas lounge access.

We've now got a littly, and are heading off to DEN via SFO and AKL. The trip involves 4 separate trips and I'm inclined to think it might be worth it. Did you ever join up? No discount from silver is there?

Any experience from others with a baby in KC? Are the staff good? How about the other pax?
Old Feb 24, 2005, 8:36 pm

Welcome to FlyerTalk NSN-Dave,
From another pax's point of view, I cannot see that there would be a problem with bringing a baby in; provided of course that you supervise at all times and ensure that quiet is upheld. Consideration of other pax is the key.

There are of course, as you will know many other benefits of Membership, including but not limited to - the ability to pre-reserve seats in the first few rows of the Y cabin, Priority Check-In and Priority Baggage Claim [Yeah Right].

As a reminder - International Lounges allow only 1 guest per member [excluding SIN]. KORU club benefits only apply on NZ flights
Old Feb 24, 2005, 8:44 pm

and as a Koru member I had my first op-ups. Although I would imagine that travelling with a family that would be unlikely.
Old Feb 24, 2005, 9:11 pm

Programs: NZ *S
Originally Posted by Fliar
and as a Koru member I had my first op-ups. Although I would imagine that travelling with a family that would be unlikely.
op-ups - that would be a free upgrade at check-in?
Old Feb 24, 2005, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by NSN-Dave
op-ups - that would be a free upgrade at check-in?
or at the gate, due to operational requirements.
Old Feb 24, 2005, 9:35 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

op-ups have even been known to have happened (rarely) after boarding (not to me, but I forever live in hope )
Old Feb 25, 2005, 1:44 am

op-ups have even been known to have happened (rarely) after boarding (not to me, but I forever live in hope )
Happened to me - most ppl already on board,then a FA comes up to me 'we have a different seat for you' (Oh darn, I thought, there goes my window seat' - how wrong I was!)
Old Feb 25, 2005, 4:45 am

Programs: Air NZ Gold Elite, Sheraton Gold.
Any experience from others with a baby in KC? Are the staff good? How about the other pax?
We had our 1 year old LHR-LAX-AKL CHC-LAX-LHR in C with own seat- (he is a good traveller- very happy/quiet) but was fine, and lounge & in-air staff were brilliant.

In fact, they went the extra mile, i would say- offers of non-on display food
that might be more suitable in lounges, etc.
Old Feb 27, 2005, 7:31 pm
Original Poster

Are you sure you're not my clone b.dave?
For me to be your clone you'd have had to be here first. As it is, it's the other way around

Did you ever join up?
Not yet, but I hope to very soon, hopefully by introducing a corporate programme at work so that all the people here currently paying $250 to join and $495 a year can instead get membership for $150 + $445. The $150 inital saving and $50 per year afterwards will make a big difference to me and others.

Any experience from others with a baby in KC? Are the staff good?
We've had the baby in J trans-Tasman already and in-flight staff were excellent with her. No experience in the lounge at the time though.

How about the other pax?
Originally Posted by ntddevsys
Consideration of other pax is the key.
Can you say 'whataloadofoldbollocks' here? Or is it too late?

Obviously plenty of scope for opposing views here, and even though it goes without saying that we'd aim to be considerate to other pax the very nature of the beast means that sometimes baby will not be cute and goo-ing. On the occasions when she's not some pax might be unhappy. Maybe as unhappy as some people might be at drunken / boorish / loud / mobile-phone happy other pax.

YMMV
Old Mar 5, 2005, 6:38 am

Location: Oz, Wales, Fiji. AirNZ Gold Elite, Virgin Australia Platinum, Qantas Gold, Hyatt and IHG Platinum.
First flight from LA is 7:15 or 7:45pm depending on day of week. So likely no one there much before 4pm. However what I am unsure on is whether they will let you check-in at 4pm for a flight so many hours later.
Hi there again kiwiflyer!

The first flight from LAX is actually around 3:15pm, it's NZ2 to London. The lounge opens around noon I believe, and it's pretty busy from then on although I'm guessing it quitens down after NZ2 has gone out. AirNZ check-in is open from around 11am I believe and you can check-in all day for any flight - so, even if you're on the 11pm NZ5 to Auckland you can check your bags at 11 am. I find this really useful if you've had to check out of the hotel and want to roam around town for the afternoon (or, if you were slightly mad, you could even spend 12 hours in the lounge ).

Cheers, Zac
Old Mar 6, 2005, 4:40 pm

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Zaco
The first flight from LAX is actually around 3:15pm, it's NZ2 to London.
Except on Tuesdays, when for some bizarre reason it leaves at 12.30pm - I have no idea why.

Good to see you back on the NZ board, Zac - hope all is going well with the big move to the southern hemisphere!
Old Mar 7, 2005, 3:24 am

Programs: Air NZ Gold Elite, Sheraton Gold.
Be careful about this. We flew on NZ2 in Jan LAX-LHR, and checkin was NOT open at 4 hours prior to dept. They only opened at around 12:30pm. So even if the lougne was open, we were unable to get there.

Most annoyed to stand in the premium queue for an hour waiting for checkin to open- i'd be told 4 hours too by Call Centre.......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.