Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best/Worst lounges on NZ network

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2016, 2:20 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by jasonvr
Alright, you all have scared me enough to not try it. How is the domestic lounge as compared to the Intl? I know the Intl just went thru a refurb not too long ago. Differences in food, alcohol, showers, etc?
While the Intl Lounge was an completely new build last year, the Domestic Lounge was re done about 18 months before that.

Food,Drinks,Showers are pretty much all the same in both lounges. Wine and Beer selection is the same, don't expect the high end stuff in an NZ Lounge.

Note - there are two lounges in the Domestic Terminal, the regional on is smaller and doesn't have bathroom and hot food. While the main Domestic Lounge is more to the same standard as the Intl.

It'd still be interesting to see the rationale for denying me access to the Intl lounge though since it would violate *A rules for *G which state:
If anything for probably breaching the CAA Rules, as your an Domestic Passenger in an Intl Departure Area without an valid reason. Accessing an lounge in the completely wrong terminal, wouldn't be an valid reason.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 6:18 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Alright, you all have scared me enough to not try it. How is the domestic lounge as compared to the Intl? I know the Intl just went thru a refurb not too long ago. Differences in food, alcohol, showers, etc?

It'd still be interesting to see the rationale for denying me access to the Intl lounge though since it would violate *A rules for *G which state:

I am *G, it is flagged as a *G lounge, and I am departing from that airport (albeit a different terminal)
This is *nothing* to do with *A rules.

You can argue all you want about *A rules but there mere fact that you'll have to enter a customs area and effectively leave NZ (ie pass through immigration) which you won't be able to do without a boarding pass means you won't have physical access to the lounge.

NZ is not like the US where in many airports there is no differentiation between domestic and international and once you're airside you're one and the same.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 9:57 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by cavemanzk
While the Intl Lounge was an completely new build last year, the Domestic Lounge was re done about 18 months before that.

Food,Drinks,Showers are pretty much all the same in both lounges. Wine and Beer selection is the same, don't expect the high end stuff in an NZ Lounge.

Note - there are two lounges in the Domestic Terminal, the regional on is smaller and doesn't have bathroom and hot food. While the main Domestic Lounge is more to the same standard as the Intl.
Thank you for the information. I had read about the Regional and regular Domestic lounges. Good to know that the Domestic lounge is largely the same. And I'll still be able to see/experience the Intl lounge prior to my departure back home.

Originally Posted by sbiddle
This is *nothing* to do with *A rules.

You can argue all you want about *A rules but there mere fact that you'll have to enter a customs area and effectively leave NZ (ie pass through immigration) which you won't be able to do without a boarding pass means you won't have physical access to the lounge.

NZ is not like the US where in many airports there is no differentiation between domestic and international and once you're airside you're one and the same.
Again, as I've already said, I'm not going to do it, but I think you missed the start of the conversation. I'm arriving Intl from LAX and was contemplating going thru transit security to access the Intl lounge. At that time I would not have entered NZ at all since I wouldn't have cleared Immigration nor Customs yet.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 10:34 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by jeffrocowboy
I am sure they did when I went through PERTH (AKL-PER-JNB). The airline made everyone who was transiting group together and checked all documents/boarding passed before we proceeded through security
PER is even worse. They don't let you through international transfer security even if you can show them a boarding pass for a same day onward international flight UNLESS your name is on their list. Most times at PER I've been forced to clear immigration twice because my name wasn't on their list. It is a pain.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 7:32 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G), QF S (OWR), UA 0.14MM
So looks like a certain prominent American blogger has posted a review of AKL Domestic lounge:

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...unge-auckland/
For a domestic lounge the food spread was extremely impressive, possibly the most impressive of any domestic lounge I’ve seen anywhere.

Air New Zealand’s domestic lounges are incredible. While the decor wasn’t cutting edge and the lounge was crowded, the food and beverage selection was great, and they even had made to order espresso drinks. Star Alliance Gold goes a long way on flights within New Zealand.
I just find it amusing, with the amount of complaints about that lounge over the years here on FT, while definitely getting (high) praise from someone who flies almost exclusively in J/F and been to lounges the world over.

To be fair, NZ has improved the quality of their lounges in the past year or so...
Old Jul 3, 2016, 10:46 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Kamadan

I just find it amusing, with the amount of complaints about that lounge over the years here on FT, while definitely getting (high) praise from someone who flies almost exclusively in J/F and been to lounges the world over.
When you compare it to an many US lounges even the Chch regional lounge is vastly superior.

While we all may complain at times about the NZ lounges many people have never visited a US lounge to see what else is on offer. IMHO Koru is great in comparison.

While at HKG last week I visited the SQ, TK, UA and new CX Business Pier. Other than the Pier which is truly an amazing lounge all the others were nice but IMHO nothing on AKL International Koru. UA did win a few brownie points for having bacon though.
Old Jul 4, 2016, 3:08 am

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by sbiddle
While we all may complain at times about the NZ lounges many people have never visited a US lounge to see what else is on offer. IMHO Koru is great in comparison.
I think we can really only complain about the New Zealand bassed lounges is they replace the food options with the choice of an Cookie Time Cookie or Veggie Chips!
Old Jul 4, 2016, 3:49 am

Originally Posted by cavemanzk
I think we can really only complain about the New Zealand bassed lounges is they replace the food options with the choice of an Cookie Time Cookie or Veggie Chips!
Or pretzels!
Old Jul 4, 2016, 2:58 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
I successfully made it to the domestic lounge (no I didn't attempt the Intl lounge). Per suggestions here we walked over to the Premium check in in the domestic terminal and they were more than happy to change us onto an earlier flight to ZQN as well, so no more 10 hours layover! We had our choice of flights but didn't take the earliest option so that we could grab a shower and some breakfast in the lounge. Now let's just hope that the remainder of the ticket stays properly intact.

As far as the lounge itself, quite nice. Spacious and doesn't feel crowded (and in fact is quite empty right now). Everyone is beyond nice here. Took a refreshing shower. The shower rooms are actually a tight fit and aren't going to be confused with the showers at the LH FCL or FCT, but perfectly acceptable for a quick refresher after a 12 hour flight.

The scrambled eggs are probably the best lounge eggs I've ever had, airline or hotel lounge. Good fresh and rich taste. Not a coffee drinker, but the barista thing is interesting. Might go for a hot chocolate instead.
Old Jul 4, 2016, 4:22 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand Airpoints - Gold Elite, Velocity - Platinum, Qantas - Gold
The scrambled eggs are probably the best lounge eggs I've ever had, airline or hotel lounge.
You must have got the scrambled eggs on a good day, as they can be very average sometimes.
Old Jul 4, 2016, 8:54 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G)
Originally Posted by smeags_nz
You must have got the scrambled eggs on a good day, as they can be very average sometimes.
I've noticed that many types of foods taste much better in New Zealand than in the USA. What comes across as average in New Zealand can be quite delicious when compared to a similar product in the States.

I've spoken with a number of other Americans who have made similar observations about the quality of food in New Zealand (and various countries in Europe) compared to that in the USA.
Old Jul 4, 2016, 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by smeags_nz
I would disagreed with you a week ago having previously always had some of the best eggs on every visit only to find that last week at the CHC Domestic Koru lounge they were in fact quite average. Generally speaking though, 10/10 and a great effort by the chefs at Air NZ.
Old Jul 4, 2016, 9:42 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand Airpoints - Gold Elite, Velocity - Platinum, Qantas - Gold
Originally Posted by codyc1515
I would disagreed with you a week ago having previously always had some of the best eggs on every visit only to find that last week at the CHC Domestic Koru lounge they were in fact quite average. Generally speaking though, 10/10 and a great effort by the chefs at Air NZ.
Actually, I was probably being a bit harsh on the AKL Domestic Lounge, it's more the WLG Domestic Lounge where I've had the worst eggs.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 5:14 am

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
I successfully made it to the domestic lounge (no I didn't attempt the Intl lounge). Per suggestions here we walked over to the Premium check in in the domestic terminal and they were more than happy to change us onto an earlier flight to ZQN as well, so no more 10 hours layover! We had our choice of flights but didn't take the earliest option so that we could grab a shower and some breakfast in the lounge. Now let's just hope that the remainder of the ticket stays properly intact.

As far as the lounge itself, quite nice. Spacious and doesn't feel crowded (and in fact is quite empty right now). Everyone is beyond nice here. Took a refreshing shower. The shower rooms are actually a tight fit and aren't going to be confused with the showers at the LH FCL or FCT, but perfectly acceptable for a quick refresher after a 12 hour flight.
Glad to hear they put you on an earlier connection. I think that with international to domestic connections they are quite often happy to do that.

And yep, the lounge sure ain't the FCT but those showers have been a lifesaver for me before now - just grateful they have them at all in a domestic lounge.

The international lounge looks a lot slicker and has a manned bar with cocktails etc, but if anything I think the food's better in domestic.

Last edited by mad_atta; Jul 6, 2016 at 6:29 am
Old Jul 5, 2016, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by SeaProf
I've noticed that many types of foods taste much better in New Zealand than in the USA. What comes across as average in New Zealand can be quite delicious when compared to a similar product in the States.

I've spoken with a number of other Americans who have made similar observations about the quality of food in New Zealand (and various countries in Europe) compared to that in the USA.
I've noticed that many people find food automatically better when it is consumed in an environment they consider more socially prestigious, whether that is a high-end restaurant or a country they deem more desirable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.