Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best/Worst lounges on NZ network

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2016, 5:57 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Palmy's Koru Lounge is closed for a refresh between 9th and 13th July. Must be a paint job to spend so little time closed. Vouchers for refreshments during the refresh - will report on my early flight on Monday.
I had heard that NZ wanted a larger lounge at PMR partly as an improved point of difference with Jetstar.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 6:43 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by CHCflyer
Palmy's Koru Lounge is closed for a refresh between 9th and 13th July. Must be a paint job to spend so little time closed. Vouchers for refreshments during the refresh - will report on my early flight on Monday.
I had heard that NZ wanted a larger lounge at PMR partly as an improved point of difference with Jetstar.
Probably be along the same lines as the upgrade in NPE, repaint and rearrange to make more more with new furniture.

PMR has plenty of space to expand that lounge , unless the airport company is holding onto space to be hopeful to get Intertional back.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 11:30 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by Ber2dca
I've noticed that many people find food automatically better when it is consumed in an environment they consider more socially prestigious, whether that is a high-end restaurant or a country they deem more desirable.
I don't think that is the case here. NZ gastronomy is just really good in comparison to many other countries, e.g. US and UK (or perhaps US and UK gastronomy is just pretty terrible). You could say I maybe felt that way as a visitor, but the expats in NZ agree that it's easy to find good food. (Mainland Europe tends to be quite good too, although that's definitely country dependent.)

It's worth noting that I'm mostly not visiting high end restaurants. Across the board, NZ food was solid. (High end restaurants have been solid anywhere, but I'm going to do research / get reccomendations if I'm spending any significant money on food either way.)

As a coffee snob, I was quite impressed that most NZ cafes seemed to know what they were doing - and I didn't do any research, this was just randomly hopping into cafes. Compare that to the US and UK where you'll have a hard time finding acceptable coffee even if you do do solid research beforehand - most cafes just don't know how to make coffee. (Seattle being the main US exception, and Europe is just pretty bad in general.)

Last edited by televisor; Jul 9, 2016 at 11:41 pm
Old Jul 10, 2016, 1:24 am

Originally Posted by CHCflyer
I will be pleased to see this. I was there a week or two ago and to be quite frank, the lounge was very disappointing (especially so when compared to a newly refurbished lounge such as Dunedin). Really missed seeing "Tina's" slice also. No response from AirNZ about that one on twitter. The food selection consisted of a couple of sandwiches, soup and two sweet slices.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 10:21 pm

Programs: LH Senator,*A Gold, IHG Gold Ambassador, AB Gold, One World Sapphire, Accor Gold, A3 Gold
I've noticed that many people find food automatically better when it is consumed in an environment they consider more socially prestigious, whether that is a high-end restaurant or a country they deem more desirable.
Trade liberalization has deepened patterns of food import dependence. Food cultures are sometimes underappreciated in food sovereignty literature, which tends to assume that there will be a preference for local or ‘culturally appropriate’ foods.
In short our eggs are better than your eggs. This fundamental truth is also reflected in Airline lounges and proof of concept can be determined by the current thread escalation to a point of "Our eggs best thou".
Old Jul 19, 2016, 5:58 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
The changes at PMR lounge are small (though it was only closed a week or so). They have removed a partition wall and the computer booths to create more seating areas. The catering is spread over two tables and more seats rammed in.
It does get very crowded when the two morning ATRs depart at around 07.00.
The lounge seems to be manned now with a preppy little guy manning the door at times, though he was absent last Monday.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 4:26 pm

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
I was very pleasantly surprised to discover Villa Maria Reserve Pinot Noir 2012 being served in the WLG Koru Club a couple of days ago. That's an amazingly high quality and expensive wine to serve in the lounge - in fact when passing through to international (after quickly partaking of lunch in the domestic lounge) I noticed it for sale in JR Duty Free for $48/bottle:
http://www.jrdutyfree.co.nz/product/...NOT+NOIR+750ML

Could this be a leftover from a batch of business class wines, perhaps?

Alas, no such extravagant wine choices awaited me in the international lounge, though the lounge host there was particularly friendly and offering great service (radioed someone from the gate to come and check my passport for me, as I'd done a web check-in, so I didn't need to leave the lounge).
Old Aug 4, 2016, 4:42 pm

Programs: NZ*S, IHG D
Should have smuggled a bottle or two out to enjoy in international lounge :-P
Old Aug 5, 2016, 1:09 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by c3rn
Should have smuggled a bottle or two out to enjoy in international lounge :-P
Bad idea. Not only is that not ethical, but will get confiscated at international security so a complete waste.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 3:12 am

Programs: NZ*S, IHG D
Was only kidding around Kiwi Flyer, I don't seriously condone that behaviour it was an ironic comment given the context of the situation.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 3:19 pm

Thumbs down

Departing back to CHC from NAN later today. I was already aware that the NZ lounge was closed due to refurbishment. I was given 2x FJD$25 vouchers upon request at check-in for use at Bula Bar & Bistro or Gloria Jean's Coffee. They weren't offered to me outright and I would have been left high and dry if I hadn't have asked as the checkin counters are behind immigration / security, etc.

After seeing the disappointing selection of food and beverages at the aforementioned stores, I decided to try my luck at the FJ "Tabua" lounge. I was met with a smile and the lounge dragon proceeded to check a list of passengers which I didn't appear to be on. She then checked my BP and asked which membership level I had (Koru). She then exclaimed that I should have been given vouchers and would not be allowed in.

I wouldn't have an issue with this as I understand that from time to time the lounges will be closed for refurbishment, etc., however, there was no effort made to allow Koru members into the lounge. This lounge also offers Priority Pass so it's not like NZ couldn't have let Koru in. It is also my understanding that NZ*G/*E are allowed into the lounge.

My other issue is that you are paying for lounge access, not for a FJD$25 meal voucher (which was enough for one small pizza). It is plainly inadequate. More-so, why is it taking NZ over 7 & 1/2 months now to get the place refurbished? That's over half a year. Had I have known this in advance of taking out the Koru membership I may not have even bothered to fly with NZ.

/rant over
Old Sep 23, 2016, 7:03 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by codyc1515

My other issue is that you are paying for lounge access, not for a FJD$25 meal voucher (which was enough for one small pizza). It is plainly inadequate. More-so, why is it taking NZ over 7 & 1/2 months now to get the place refurbished? That's over half a year. Had I have known this in advance of taking out the Koru membership I may not have even bothered to fly with NZ.

/rant over
Surely they could of setup an temporary lounge? with up to to flights are day to AKL, surely it would of been worth it.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 6:25 pm

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
They were letting Elites/Business into the Tabua lounge, but it's average at best. Honestly it's one of those things that happen when Air NZ are creating a new lounge, I certainly didn't have a cry about it and went and got some food upstairs. The airport is improving which is the main thing.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 9:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by codyc1515
Departing back to CHC from NAN later today. I was already aware that the NZ lounge was closed due to refurbishment. I was given 2x FJD$25 vouchers upon request at check-in for use at Bula Bar & Bistro or Gloria Jean's Coffee. They weren't offered to me outright and I would have been left high and dry if I hadn't have asked as the checkin counters are behind immigration / security, etc.

After seeing the disappointing selection of food and beverages at the aforementioned stores, I decided to try my luck at the FJ "Tabua" lounge. I was met with a smile and the lounge dragon proceeded to check a list of passengers which I didn't appear to be on. She then checked my BP and asked which membership level I had (Koru). She then exclaimed that I should have been given vouchers and would not be allowed in.

I wouldn't have an issue with this as I understand that from time to time the lounges will be closed for refurbishment, etc., however, there was no effort made to allow Koru members into the lounge. This lounge also offers Priority Pass so it's not like NZ couldn't have let Koru in. It is also my understanding that NZ*G/*E are allowed into the lounge.

/rant over
Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill. Move on.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by Nickolash27
Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill. Move on.
My thoughts exactly. Very shortsighted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.