Wiki Posts
Search

AKL-ORD suspended until Oct 2024

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2024, 3:41 pm
Original Poster

AKL-ORD suspended until Oct 2024

Just in, via AirNZ press release:

Air New Zealand will pause its Auckland – Chicago non-stop service from 31 March to 25 October 2024.

The route is being put on hold due to ongoing challenges with the availability of serviceable Rolls-Royce Trent 1000 engines which is impacting airlines around the world. These are the engines used on Air New Zealand’s Boeing 787 aircraft.*

Air New Zealand Chief Customer and Sales Officer Leanne Geraghty says it was a difficult decision to make, but one that results in the least number of customers impacted.

“We know this will be disappointing for customers travelling to and from Chicago during this period, especially to those travelling over the upcoming April holiday break. It’s not a decision we’ve made lightly and we’re sorry to make this change so close to the time some customers plan to fly.

“Unfortunately, Air New Zealand continues to be impacted by challenges with availability of Rolls-Royce Trent 1000 engines, meaning we will now have up to three aircraft unavailable for an extended period, so we’ve had to review our schedule.

“We made the tough decision to temporarily pause the Chicago route while maintaining our schedule of up to 35 flights each week to six ports across the US and Canada, so there are still plenty of options to get to Chicago, the US, and beyond.”

Customers with bookings on Air New Zealand’s Chicago services will be rebooked with a connection through another US airport to get them to their destination as quickly as possible. Customers who booked directly with Air New Zealand will receive their new itinerary within 72 hours and do not need to contact Air New Zealand. Those who booked via a travel agent should contact their agent to confirm changes to their itinerary.

Customers can opt to receive a full refund or place their booking into credit.

“Getting our customers to their destination safely is our number one priority and to do that, we need to ensure our aircraft and engines are maintained to the highest standard. These challenges do not present a safety risk to customers flying on our 787 fleet.

“We’d like to thank customers in advance for their patience and understanding as our teams work as fast as they can to make these changes.”

*Explaining the Rolls-Royce Trent 1000 global engine challenges

Rolls-Royce Trent 1000 engines normally require heavy maintenance, where they are taken off the aircraft and sent to the offshore manufacturer for inspection, after 1000 engine cycles (take-offs and landings). During regular inspections, Air New Zealand engineers identified that the engines required maintenance after 750-850 cycles. Rolls-Royce has been unable to provide Air New Zealand with spare or replacement engines to deliver the level of service needed, leading to a reduction in the amount of flying Air New Zealand can deliver via its 787 fleet.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 2:01 am

Programs: NZ *E, QF Gold, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, PanPacific Platinum
I was confirmed J, now looks like LAX, bugger
Old Mar 12, 2024, 6:16 pm

Programs: NZ*E
what a shame, these problems are really a big issue, ICN, HBA, now ORD -------
Old Mar 13, 2024, 5:31 am

Programs: NZ*E, UA*1K, QF Plat
Unfortunate. I have used the ORD option a number of times.
ORD is easier to use the compared to JFK
Old Mar 13, 2024, 12:13 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by mmonster
what a shame, these problems are really a big issue, ICN, HBA, now ORD -------
What next? ….HNL?

At least NZ is proving a list of there lower preforming routes in the southern winter season.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by cavemanzk
What next? ….HNL?

At least NZ is proving a list of there lower preforming routes in the southern winter season.
Think if there was a what's next it would far worse. Remove all the 789 or NEO routes.

Until the 2nd and 3rd 777 leases come on, a plane going to tech at an out station or diverting to a city with no crew is going to be a mess for the network.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 12:54 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
What next? ….HNL?

I think it's a bit of a stretch to say it's a lower performing route - yes US demand is slightly lower over their summer but the reality is it's a route that for 3x weekly frequency on a ULR route ties up one airframe for considerable periods of time and there are plenty of alternate options for pax to be moved to incl NZ services via IAH, SFO and LAX.

This is all about freeing up a Dreamliner so there probably isn't a single other route they could pull that would free up a plane like this.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 1:42 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G)
What next? ….HNL?

I wouldn't expect HNL to go away given HA is apparently suspending its HNL-AKL route.
mmonster likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2024, 1:45 am

Programs: NZ GE, Marriot Platinum
NZ26 AKL to ORD has been cancelled tomorrow (Friday 15th, March) due to "engineering issues"
Old Mar 14, 2024, 3:22 am

Originally Posted by MrLovebucket
NZ26 AKL to ORD has been cancelled tomorrow (Friday 15th, March) due to "engineering issues"
ICN was cancelled today. 3x Dreamliners parked up is causing a lot of grief.
Old Mar 14, 2024, 9:03 am

Programs: NZ *E
I expect we will see the cabin refit project pushed well into next year given all this.
Old Mar 14, 2024, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by samjnz
I expect we will see the cabin refit project pushed well into next year given all this.
Nope. Air NZ reaffirmed a few weeks ago that it's on schedule.
Old Mar 14, 2024, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by samjnz
Suspect the 3rd leased 777 that they are trying to get will help.

Plus the refit I guess will be happening during a longer maintenance which has to happen anyway.
Old Mar 14, 2024, 4:26 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by sbiddle
Nope. Air NZ reaffirmed a few weeks ago that it's on schedule.
I don’t believe a word their PR spin machine spews.
Remember call centre wait times are 3 minutes or whatever the number was Foran said a number of months ago

Air New Zealand is all talk and no action when it comes to announcements and press releases
Old Mar 21, 2024, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

never mind - please delete

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.