Wiki Posts
Search

Bonus SP earnings

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2024, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*S, IHG D
Bonus SP earnings

Quick question, why would I be earning bonus status points? My next couple of domestic flights are showing a line for a bonus but I don't understand why?
For context, it was booked by a corporate travel agent so no credit card bonus or anything like that.

Old Mar 11, 2024, 2:20 pm

do you have an ANZ platinum credit card tied to your Airpoints account? cos that's usually what triggers the SP bonus

(doesn't matter if its Corporate travel)
c3rn likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2024, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by raznz
do you have an ANZ platinum credit card tied to your Airpoints account? cos that's usually what triggers the SP bonus

(doesn't matter if its Corporate travel)
Yes I do
I use to book my own domestic flights using ANZ card and was aware of the bonus then but have to use corporate tagt now.
Why would ANZ would give this bonus when you're not putting flights on their card
Old Mar 11, 2024, 2:39 pm

for context, I've never spent a dollar on my ANZ credit card and have enjoyed bonus SP on all my flights. So i guess we just enjoy it or take advantage of it where/while we can!
Old Mar 11, 2024, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Seems odd but I'll take it
Old Mar 11, 2024, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by c3rn
Yes I do
I use to book my own domestic flights using ANZ card and was aware of the bonus then but have to use corporate tagt now.
Why would ANZ would give this bonus when you're not putting flights on their card
For $150 for an extra 50% non metal SP it is great value. The only spend on that card is $150 annual fee.

I am assuming that ANZ and AirNZ have a deal where ANZ is only paying when the SP are used not issued so they can give away a lot of points without it being realised in dollar terms. And ANZ SP get counted last to move up or retain a tier. If that isn't the case, then yeah not sure how ANZ is funding it.
c3rn likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2024, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by c3rn
Yes I do
Because they do. Many of us here report holding the card but make little associated flight spend on it.
Old Mar 11, 2024, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by raznz
for context, I've never spent a dollar on my ANZ credit card and have enjoyed bonus SP on all my flights. So i guess we just enjoy it or take advantage of it where/while we can!
Even better is I also get the 50% on most *A flights too. So my upcoming 4 J sectors on TG in Aug/Sep each earns 110Sps - so 4x 110SPs and 4x 55 SPs bonus (440 metal and 220 non metal). Still need the core amount of NZ metals flying of course.

GE requalification requires 810 SPs, which itself generates 405 non metal SPs totalling 1215 SPs (of the 1350 required overall). Seems relative easy to gain as 810 SPs requires approx $10k spend on flights (depends on class/route etc).
Old Mar 11, 2024, 7:05 pm

Great news! I wish I knew this a while ago!
Old Mar 11, 2024, 8:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Because they do. Many of us here report holding the card but make little associated flight spend on it.
Well I just never realised it applied to bookings not made with the card as the payment method. Very valuable perk of the card.
Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 6:23 pm

Programs: NZ*E
yes, it is a good package, the thing that I am not happy about, which is nothing to do with the bonus, is that the NZ/SQ alliance when ticketed with NZ but operate by SQ, it is not NZ metal, I wish it would be the same, like it was for CX.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 6:46 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by mmonster
yes, it is a good package, the thing that I am not happy about, which is nothing to do with the bonus, is that the NZ/SQ alliance when ticketed with NZ but operate by SQ, it is not NZ metal, I wish it would be the same, like it was for CX.
I suspect that the ANZ credit card bonus was wrongly set up to include any *A flight by a low level employee. It makes you wonder if the current NZ/SQ setup was intentional or accidental. I mean with the NZ/CA alliance for instance, you will get NZ metal ADP/SP even if you book with CA directly. I have to say Airpoints is just a joke and was created randomly by random people.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 7:05 pm

Programs: NZ*E
Originally Posted by Xiaotung
I suspect that the ANZ credit card bonus was wrongly set up to include any *A flight by a low level employee. It makes you wonder if the current NZ/SQ setup was intentional or accidental. I mean with the NZ/CA alliance for instance, you will get NZ metal ADP/SP even if you book with CA directly. I have to say Airpoints is just a joke and was created randomly by random people.
I agree with you - I also found that the information available about these partnerships are written in a very inconsistent way - the webpages for CX/NZ and SQ/NZ is an example.
I guess no one will write to them since they will just give people the wrong answer - the answer that they do not want - but it really be a great thing if they can treat NZ metal for a SQ operated flight on 086 stock and an NZ number
Old Mar 12, 2024, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Even better is I also get the 50% on most *A flights too. So my upcoming 4 J sectors on TG in Aug/Sep each earns 110Sps - so 4x 110SPs and 4x 55 SPs bonus (440 metal and 220 non metal). Still need the core amount of NZ metals flying of course.

GE requalification requires 810 SPs, which itself generates 405 non metal SPs totalling 1215 SPs (of the 1350 required overall). Seems relative easy to gain as 810 SPs requires approx $10k spend on flights (depends on class/route etc).
Sorry what is GE?
Old Mar 12, 2024, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 40love
Sorry what is GE?
Gold Elite = GE

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.