Community
Wiki Posts
Search

gate checking bags allowed?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2024, 12:26 am
Original Poster

gate checking bags allowed?

I'm flying SFO-AKL in economy class, which appears to include 1 checked bag, 1 carry-on bag, and 1 additional carry-on item. I'll be checking a suitcase and then I have a smaller carry on suitcase + a backpack. Often in these circumstances I ask to gate check my carry on suitcase for free, since I have to wait at baggage claim anyway for my checked bag--but I realize I have only tested this with US-based airlines. Does this concept exist on ANZ?

I'm a bit worried they'll look askance either because I've already checked a bag or because my backpack is larger than what is technically allowed for the additional item.

sorry if this is a silly question.
Old Feb 11, 2024, 12:39 am

Programs: NZ Koru
Worth a try if it’s a full flight, but being NZ I’d expect them to ask for your credit card.
Old Feb 11, 2024, 12:53 am
Original Poster

Interesting, thanks. Here any of the nicer airlines (UA, AA, DL) would do it for free every time, except for basic economy on UA where you're not supposed to have any carry on baggage. In fact they're often looking for volunteers at the gate to check a bag because they claim the overhead bins are going to be full. Sounds like this isn't typical of NZ? Do you know if it happens in Australia?
Old Feb 11, 2024, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by plymouthstreet
I'm flying SFO-AKL in economy class, which appears to include 1 checked bag, 1 carry-on bag, and 1 additional carry-on item. I'll be checking a suitcase and then I have a smaller carry on suitcase + a backpack. Often in these circumstances I ask to gate check my carry on suitcase for free, since I have to wait at baggage claim anyway for my checked bag--but I realize I have only tested this with US-based airlines. Does this concept exist on ANZ?

I'm a bit worried they'll look askance either because I've already checked a bag or because my backpack is larger than what is technically allowed for the additional item.

sorry if this is a silly question.
Originally Posted by plymouthstreet
Interesting, thanks. Here any of the nicer airlines (UA, AA, DL) would do it for free every time, except for basic economy on UA where you're not supposed to have any carry on baggage. In fact they're often looking for volunteers at the gate to check a bag because they claim the overhead bins are going to be full. Sounds like this isn't typical of NZ? Do you know if it happens in Australia?
  • When it comes to carry-ons NZ & AU airlines operate very different to USA airlines. Don't expect to bend the rules (ticket t&c's) that much. Overhead bins can at times be not full, as NZ-AU passengers have different expectations.
  • For long hauls gate checking in not really a thing
  • With a checked suitcase, another suitcase and a backpack, that you concede is too big for the "additional carry-on item", suggest you check in 2 bags. Or 1 only bigger bag
  • Do you have a credit card for the extra cost, if any, at check in?
  • Do you really need that much stuff to haul around NZ? A lot to be said for travelling light.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Feb 11, 2024 at 1:34 am
Old Feb 11, 2024, 1:41 am

Yeah gate check is not something AirNZ does and I haven't really seen it outside of the US airlines. Would almost say the US is the odd ones out here. And when you say carry on suitcase make sure you are talking about an international carryon not a US carryon. What passes as carryon in the US will not pass as carryon elsewhere.

Exception prams and wheelchairs which are already checked in and have bag tags on them, from checkin and left at the gate.

The additional carry on item is a hand bag or a slim laptop bag (laptop and charger, not more pockets/storage)
Old Feb 11, 2024, 2:35 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Gate checking isn't a think because of security measures and Avsec requirements.

It would mean the bag would have to be re-screened for jet services since the requirements are different for carry on and checjed luggage.. And for regional services it would mean the pax having to remove any contents that aren't permitted in the hold.

It's far easier to simply not allow this than cause delays while luggage is rescreened.
Old Feb 11, 2024, 2:40 am

Originally Posted by sbiddle
Gate checking isn't a think because of security measures and Avsec requirements.

It would mean the bag would have to be re-screened for jet services since the requirements are different for carry on and checjed luggage.. And for regional services it would mean the pax having to remove any contents that aren't permitted in the hold.

It's far easier to simply not allow this than cause delays while luggage is rescreened.
That reminds me saw an AvSec person last week at the gate giving something to a passenger which they removed from their checked bag before the flight. Didn't see or hear the specifics but guessing it was most likely a battery.
Old Feb 11, 2024, 2:52 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
I assume the US just basically ignores IATA baggage guidelines since they don't rescreen bags so would have no idea if the bags are compliant with the rules around batteries.
Old Feb 11, 2024, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone!

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
  • When it comes to carry-ons NZ & AU airlines operate very different to USA airlines. Don't expect to bend the rules (ticket t&c's) that much. Overhead bins can at times be not full, as NZ-AU passengers have different expectations.
  • For long hauls gate checking in not really a thing
  • With a checked suitcase, another suitcase and a backpack, that you concede is too big for the "additional carry-on item", suggest you check in 2 bags. Or 1 only bigger bag
  • Do you have a credit card for the extra cost, if any, at check in?
  • Do you really need that much stuff to haul around NZ? A lot to be said for travelling light.
Fair questions. The "suitcase" I'm checking in is really a duffle bag with my hiking poles, tent, tramping backpack, which are a bit too long for my carry-on suitcase and have to be checked anyway. The duffle's still small though and I don't own a full size checked suitcase. Hence the 3 bags.

Apart from large lithium batteries I can't think of anything allowed in carry-on bags here that isn't allowed in checked baggage, so when gate checking a bag they typically just ask if you have those inside.
Old Feb 11, 2024, 11:04 am

Programs: Air New Zealand
ANZ seem relaxed about this. Often see people with one wheeled cabin bag and a second small backpack.

Jetstar enforce their baggage rules firmly.
Old Feb 11, 2024, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by kryptonjohn
ANZ seem relaxed about this. Often see people with one wheeled cabin bag and a second small backpack.

Jetstar enforce their baggage rules firmly.
They seem relaxed until there is a flight when they aren't relaxed. Also remember depending on the flight half the flight is Gold or Elite and can have 2 bags combined of 14kg, with one not over 10kg.
Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2024, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by nzkarit
They seem relaxed until there is a flight when they aren't relaxed. Also remember depending on the flight half the flight is Gold or Elite and can have 2 bags combined of 14kg, with one not over 10kg.

I have noticed with a bit of an uptick in international tourism over Summer, that domestic connecting flights can have quite a few pax boarding with quite a lot of carry-on baggage - some quite bulky and probably in excess of the 'entitlement'. Cabin crew needed to work quite hard to help folks put roll-aboard bags vertically into the overhead lockers (ie handle vertically), and PA announcements for smaller bags to go under the seat in front.

Most annoying were pax that put their carry-on in the forward lockers then occupied seats down the back. Those seated forward that hadn't boarded asap, struggled to find overhead locker space...
Old Feb 11, 2024, 3:35 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand
Originally Posted by nzkarit
That's certainly true. However I don't think I've never seen Air NZ turning back any but the most obvious transgressors. Family members travelling with me have become accustomed to carrying 2 items with the second one in a grey area between a carry-on bag and a hand held bag.
Old Feb 11, 2024, 4:01 pm

Programs: NZ Silver
Had someone on my flight recently that boarded an ATR with a full-size suitcase! FA was not impressed but stored it in the back with the fast bags. Doubt anything came of it.
Old Feb 11, 2024, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jimmyah
Had someone on my flight recently that boarded an ATR with a full-size suitcase! FA was not impressed but stored it in the back with the fast bags. Doubt anything came of it.
OP is flying SFO-AKL in economy class. So a different situation do NZ domestic flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.