Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Regional lounge access and AKL express lane

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2024, 12:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Gold

Just clarifying a few things, I have a few flights coming up to/from aussie and the islands in biz. Flying from a regional airport and connecting through Auckland onto business premier, am I entitled to access the regional lounges? All booked through on one ticket. Also, transiting through AKL can i walk into the express lane through the main security entrance or do I need to go up through the premium check in area?

I'm not quite at a point where koru club is worth it for regional lounge access in terms of the number of flights I take but hopefully that's going to change next year.
Old Jan 31, 2024, 12:27 am

Programs: NZ *G
I believe the answer to your first question is yes, given it’s all one ticket.

For your second question, you can use the Premium Checkin area and go upstairs using the lift and then follow the pathway to the dedicated lines. Sometimes if there’s a big queue for the lift it’s faster to go upstairs using the main escalator. At the point the public enter the security area you can then cut across to the premium line (it’s against the back wall, if you’re looking from the public access point).
Old Jan 31, 2024, 1:03 am

Programs: NZ *G
Deleted duplicate post

Deleted
Old Jan 31, 2024, 8:25 am

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Tried to use the express lane in AKL last week (was flying AA in biz) and the person manning the gates told me to go back to the check in hall to get a piece of paper to allow me to use the gates. My boarding pass had the bar code on it as that is what the machines read, so I wonder what the piece of paper is all about.
went through the normal route instead. Needless to ay security was dreadful. Both my bags went for secondary screening but they actually didn't look inside, I just waited for them to get round to getting my bags and they handed them straight over.
A couple of 'what was that all about?' moments at our gateway airport.
Old Jan 31, 2024, 9:20 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
The barcode is irrelevant - Air NZ and Qantas print an express logo / text on boarding passes and this is what entitles you to use the express lane.

I would have assumed all airlines would do this but obviously AA aren't.
Old Jan 31, 2024, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by CHCflyer
Tried to use the express lane in AKL last week (was flying AA in biz) and the person manning the gates told me to go back to the check in hall to get a piece of paper to allow me to use the gates. My boarding pass had the bar code on it as that is what the machines read, so I wonder what the piece of paper is all about.
went through the normal route instead. Needless to ay security was dreadful. Both my bags went for secondary screening but they actually didn't look inside, I just waited for them to get round to getting my bags and they handed them straight over.
What do you mean secondary screening? Do you just mean they went down the inside lane? That just means they couldn't figure out what was in your bag in X seconds so send it down the lane. Is fairly regular to pass then back to you without opening your bag as when looking at the x-ray without time pressure can figure out what is I in there and give it to you.
Old Jan 31, 2024, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by CHCflyer
As @sbiddle noted, the paper or electronic boarding pass has EXPRESS PATH printed on it. The person is there simply to turnaround pax that don’t have that. AA presumably could (and should) have stamped ‘express path’ or printed a BP-sized card with ‘Express Path’ on it.

A hassle either way to go ‘normal’ or return to AA check-in.
Old Jan 31, 2024, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
As @sbiddle noted, the paper or electronic boarding pass has EXPRESS PATH printed on it. The person is there simply to turnaround pax that don’t have that. AA presumably could (and should) have stamped ‘express path’ or printed a BP-sized card with ‘Express Path’ on it.

A hassle either way to go ‘normal’ or return to AA check-in.
Though you would expect AirNZ seeing can print in NZ but at other ports like YVR they put a sticker on the BP.
Old Jan 31, 2024, 6:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbiddle
The barcode is irrelevant - Air NZ and Qantas print an express logo / text on boarding passes and this is what entitles you to use the express lane.

I would have assumed all airlines would do this but obviously AA aren't.
Does this include boarding passes printed at regional airports? Flying out Tauranga
Old Jan 31, 2024, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by AITCNZ
Does this include boarding passes printed at regional airports? Flying out Tauranga
Yes. I started at WLG, and both BPs were printed. My BP AKL-SIN had EXPRESS PATH printed.

Old Feb 1, 2024, 1:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Yes. I started at WLG, and both BPs were printed. My BP AKL-SIN had EXPRESS PATH printed.

Great, thanks!
Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2024, 1:11 am

Not every airline pays for Express. CX doesn’t (so much for metal neutrality as part of the NZ/CX North Asia Alliance…)
Old Feb 4, 2024, 3:13 pm

Programs: Air NZ *E
Originally Posted by Top of climb
Not every airline pays for Express. CX doesn’t (so much for metal neutrality as part of the NZ/CX North Asia Alliance…)
Yes it does, was stickered for Express lane at AKL CX check in (without asking) for a CX metal flight a few days ago.
Old Feb 4, 2024, 7:49 pm

Programs: QFF
Maybe it's a BP issue then? QF need to put stickers on also at AKL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.