Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Should NZ bring back Business from CHC TT?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should NZ bring back Business from CHC TT?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2024, 3:29 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by Rebound
The removal of Works Deluxe shows Air NZs intention when it comes to premium on narrow bodies.
Sometime I think the narrow A320/321 flights on the Tasman, should be run under another brand or at least a sub brand.

The J service on the 77W/789 is the polar opposite of the model of service on the Airbuses, its like they are two different airlines. It seems so strange that on the 77W/789 they offer a full table service meal, and not on a single tray.

It was a odd move removing Freedom Air (SJ), maybe could of done with a rebrand. But think NZ should of keep a LCC around, and make it clear who they are.
Old Jan 28, 2024, 8:41 pm
THR

The removal of Works Deluxe shows Air NZs intention when it comes to premium on narrow bodies.
I suspect that is more due to the issues with capacity and having to take A320s out of service.
Old Jan 28, 2024, 8:49 pm

Programs: NZ *E
Originally Posted by cavemanzk
Sometime I think the narrow A320/321 flights on the Tasman, should be run under another brand or at least a sub brand.

The J service on the 77W/789 is the polar opposite of the model of service on the Airbuses, its like they are two different airlines. It seems so strange that on the 77W/789 they offer a full table service meal, and not on a single tray.

It was a odd move removing Freedom Air (SJ), maybe could of done with a rebrand. But think NZ should of keep a LCC around, and make it clear who they are.
Technically they used to be two separate airlines with the Airbus fleet run by "Zeal320" rather than "Air New Zealand" back in the day!
Old Jan 28, 2024, 8:56 pm

Programs: Airpoints Elite
I'm honestly a bit gutted about WD going, as it has been a real boon when travelling with an infant/toddler too young to have their own seat (but it guarantees nobody sat next to us, i.e. we won't annoy other passengers). Of course toddlers soon get big enough to have their own seat - as mine almost is - but it's helpful to have the choice.
mckma8 likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2024, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by samjnz
Technically they used to be two separate airlines with the Airbus fleet run by "Zeal320" rather than "Air New Zealand" back in the day!
Given the A320s are now in mainline don't unions will make it easy.

My understanding when they did Zeal There were no A320s in mainline fleet.
Old Jan 28, 2024, 9:33 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by nzkarit
Given the A320s are now in mainline don't unions will make it easy.

My understanding when they did Zeal There were no A320s in mainline fleet.
Correct, they shifted all the A320’s over to the Freedom Air AOC. Which then renamed as Zeal 320 LTD, Freedom Air just became a trading name essentially.

In the last couple of years of SJ, the Zeal 320 crews would operate both NZ/SJ flights all in NZ uniforms. There was a couple of a320’s painted as SJ, but they all got repainted as NZ. So you would go on a SJ flight, with a plane painted as NZ and crew in a NZ uniform. At least they offered J on the NZ coded flights. On the SJ flights from memory the J seats were sold as something like “the big seats”.
Old Jan 29, 2024, 2:51 am

Once QF get their A220s on stream I’d expect them to make a concerted push into the NZ market with more frequencies that are “right sized” for the route - you already see it happening with the new E190 service BNE-WLG. And Cam Wallace, ex NZ now at QF, is no fool.
Old Jan 29, 2024, 11:24 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Top of climb
Once QF get their A220s on stream I’d expect them to make a concerted push into the NZ market with more frequencies that are “right sized” for the route - you already see it happening with the new E190 service BNE-WLG. And Cam Wallace, ex NZ now at QF, is no fool.
Yeah nah.I just can't see that happening nor can I see the business model.

The Alliance E190 is primarily there only because QF mainline is stretched to capacity as well. You can easily argue the E190 is too small for the WLG-BNE route which is probably only at around 70% of pre Covid capacity. Like SYD-WLG there are people having to fly via AKL to get there due to the poor capacity and flight timings from/to WLG.

Maybe there could be the potential for a NTL-AKL service now that they will have an international terminal and the use of a smaller plane might make sense to test the waters, but there really is nowhere else in NZ (such as HLZ / ROT) that will ever see international flights again.
Old Jan 29, 2024, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by greg23
At this point it seems NZ are happy for QF to eat their lunch, as it’s obvious QF are quickly building their market share on the Tasman (QF 44% vs NZ 43%).
Don't think it's intentional. Having 4-5 brand new A320/321 grounded due to the Pratt and Whitney engine issues doesn't help growing capacity....
Old Jan 29, 2024, 8:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Thanks for all the replies! I do agree with quite a few of you who point out that there would probably be little premium demand out of CHC (and WEL) but it still means that NZ loses what premium demand there is to QF/EK. Also understand of course that EK and QF benefit from connecting passengers who are flying long haul in J

But if NZ had a premium offering out of CHC/WEL could they not code share to connecting flights from SYD/MEL and earn revenue that way? i mean right now those pax are just lost completely to One World or EK

Or of course look at operating some long haul out of CHC. Surely if others can make it work NZ could?
Old Jan 29, 2024, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by oranjemakker
Thanks for all the replies! I do agree with quite a few of you who point out that there would probably be little premium demand out of CHC (and WEL) but it still means that NZ loses what premium demand there is to QF/EK. Also understand of course that EK and QF benefit from connecting passengers who are flying long haul in J

But if NZ had a premium offering out of CHC/WEL could they not code share to connecting flights from SYD/MEL and earn revenue that way? i mean right now those pax are just lost completely to One World or EK

Or of course look at operating some long haul out of CHC. Surely if others can make it work NZ could?
Singapore has business out of CHC and AKL. What *A carries would you pick up in Sydney for onwards connection?

Suspect with some of the other airlines out of CHC they will know how sticky the pax to the home country airline vs pax would pick either airline. Hope many are tourists vs NZ origin?
Old Jan 29, 2024, 9:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by nzkarit
Singapore has business out of CHC and AKL. What *A carries would you pick up in Sydney for onwards connection?

Suspect with some of the other airlines out of CHC they will know how sticky the pax to the home country airline vs pax would pick either airline. Hope many are tourists vs NZ origin?
yeah that is a fair point, SQ must be quite a good code share.

not sure re the other airlines, but I would think CX, EK, and CE all pick up a fair amount of NZ residents. I guess United is probably many US tourists
Old Jan 29, 2024, 9:14 pm

it's still easier and makes more sense for NZ to feed passengers to AKL and put them on a long-haul flight to Asia/NA vs TT and then *A to elsewhere.
Old Jan 29, 2024, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by raznz
it's still easier and makes more sense for NZ to feed passengers to AKL and put them on a long-haul flight to Asia/NA vs TT and then *A to elsewhere.
easier from the airlines perspective, not from the passengers. transferring EK or QF in Sydney is seamless, go through security and you are there, and much better lounges if you compare EK Sydney to Koru and if you are lucky to have QF Plat or higher F lounge is AMAZING

Auckland you have to change terminals and deal with that horrible AKL international, its bad on departures and terrible on arrivals. If you had the choice in CHC why would you fly NZ and have to deal with that?
Old Jan 29, 2024, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by raznz
Yeah to make it worthwhile for LH by AirNZ would need a few flights everyday and a rotation that cycles planes through CHC without domestic to/from Auckland. Then need to plan out how you can get crew and standby crew to CHC as they would deadhead & require accommodation as there is no 787 crew base in CHC. Though some CHC crew who commute from CHC may like it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.