Wiki Posts
Search

International Transfer at AKL?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2024, 1:20 am
Original Poster

International Transfer at AKL?

Hello,

I will be flying from Cairns (CNS) to Papeete (PPT) via Brisbane and Auckland, with the CNS-BNE leg operated by Qantas (codeshare) and the BNE-AKL & AKL-PPT legs operated by NZ itself. All on one NZ ticket.

Now there are two options:

Option 1 - 4h5m stop in Brisbane, 2h20m stop in Auckland
Option 2 - 1h40m stop in Brisbane, 4h30m stop in Auckland

Will Qantas in Cairns be able to check my bags through all the way to PPT? And is a sterile international-to-international transfer possible in NZ/Auckland? Or is it like in the US where you always have to go through immigration no matter what?

If that should all work, then which option would you choose? Option 1 has a 777 (insterad of A321neo) on BNE-AKL which would be cool, on the other hand maybe 4h30m in Auckland is better as an additional buffer in case of delay of the BNE-AKL flight?

Thanks!!
Old Jan 3, 2024, 1:25 am

Programs: NZ*E, UA*1K, QF Plat
I suggest option 1.
In Brisbane you will be changing terminals which are not close together.
In AKL you do not have to pass through immigration, but will go through a transfer security check.
ArnoldB and becks1 like this.
Old Jan 3, 2024, 1:33 am
Original Poster

And does anyone know if Qantas and Air New Zealand have an interlining agreement so I can check the luggage all the way through from CNS to PPT?
Old Jan 3, 2024, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by ArnoldB
And does anyone know if Qantas and Air New Zealand have an interlining agreement so I can check the luggage all the way through from CNS to PPT?
Yes they do.

I have flown of NZ-ticketed TSV-BNE(QF operated NZ codeshare)-AKL(NZ)-WLG(NZ). Bags checked thru etc.
ArnoldB likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2024, 1:50 am
Original Poster

Perfect, thanks for the fast responses! I will go ahead and book Option 1 then.
Old Jan 3, 2024, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Note you still need a NZeTA for the transit
NZeTA required from 1 October 2019 to visit or transit New Zealand

Agree with option 1. Is a short bus ride at BNE domestic to international.
https://www.bne.com.au/passenger/to-...inal-transfers
Old Jan 4, 2024, 1:30 am
Original Poster

Now both Qantas and Air New Zealand answered on Facebook that they don't have an Interlining Check Through agreement with each other and baggage can't be checked all the way through?!

I suppose with 4h5min in Brisbane now it should not be a problem to collect the luggage and check it in again, but still...
Old Jan 4, 2024, 2:19 am

They are wrong. The QF/NZ codeshare agreement allows for bags to be checked through to the final destination from the port of origin if all on one ticket.
ArnoldB and Thai-Kiwi like this.
Old Jan 4, 2024, 3:48 am

Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador
The both should be able to check through to each other. This is what they both have published in the GDS as of this moment.

W/*QF¥*NZ«

QF-081 QANTAS AIRWAYS/QANTAS AIRWAYS LIMITED
MAY ISSUE TICKETS INCLUDING
NZ-086 AIR NEW ZEALAND/AIR NEW ZEALAND LIMITED
MAY CHECK BAGGAGE TO
NZ

W/*NZ¥*QF«

NZ-086 AIR NEW ZEALAND/AIR NEW ZEALAND LIMITED
MAY ISSUE TICKETS INCLUDING
QF-081 QANTAS AIRWAYS/QANTAS AIRWAYS LIMITED
MAY CHECK BAGGAGE TO
QF
ArnoldB, Thai-Kiwi and debh like this.
Old Jan 4, 2024, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Top of climb
They are wrong. The QF/NZ codeshare agreement allows for bags to be checked through to the final destination from the port of origin if all on one ticket.
And my own experience as posted shows this interlining QF-NZ is in place and works …

That both QF and NZ staff operating on social media gave wrong responses is worrying - unless the manner of the query was misinterpreted…
Old Jan 4, 2024, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Yeah really seems to be a case of rather incompetent social media staff. I also asked them about the upgrade issues (see my other thread) and their response there was "your flight is not operated by NZ, therefore OneUp is now available" - wrong on so many levels (I asked why direct upgrades - not OneUp - are unavailable for my 2 out of 3 NZ op by NZ flights).
Old Feb 8, 2024, 9:51 am

Programs: QF SG, AC, AA
Air New Zealand to QANTAS Interlining at AKL on separate tickets

Originally Posted by ArnoldB
And does anyone know if Qantas and Air New Zealand have an interlining agreement so I can check the luggage all the way through ...?
If I am flying Air New Zealand YYZ-xxx-AKL and connecting to QF AKL-SYD-HND, can bags be checked through? (I suspect not), and if not, what process and connecting time is needed in AKL?
Thanks
Old Feb 8, 2024, 11:47 am

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by jrobin
If I am flying Air New Zealand YYZ-xxx-AKL and connecting to QF AKL-SYD-HND, can bags be checked through? (I suspect not), and if not, what process and connecting time is needed in AKL?
Thanks
Most likely you bags won’t be able to check though, although you luck would be that your starting in YYZ. So the AC? Agent maybe more open to it, than NZ.

Are you planning to go via YVR?

Most of the North American flights arrive into AKL, early AM. It’s getting better now with wait times, since the new digital arrival card process. But I would save you would want at least an hour to clear customs and quarantine.

QF bag drop closes 60min before departure, and QF check-in is at the complete opposite end of the terminal to arrivals.

To be safe and allow for delays you probably want 5+ hrs, NZ OTP hasn’t been great lately.
Old Feb 8, 2024, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrobin
Thanks
Both XX, AirNZ and QF flights all on the same ticket/PNR?
Expect the answer is "no", as Air NZ would take you to SYD and / or Japan.
As Air NZ does not fly from YYZ, will be up to the airline you first check in with at YYZ. AC, UA or ?
Will need full entry to NZ,even if only for a few hours.--> NZeTA required from 1 October 2019 to visit or transit New Zealand

A map from the Great Circle Mapper - Great Circle Mapper

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.