Community
Wiki Posts
Search

95 min I to D at AKL

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2023, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
95 min I to D at AKL

2 UA*Gs have 016 tickets UA LAX 07:25 connecting to NZ (UA code) WLG 09:00.

To expedite the connection, I know I have/want to
(1) Walk (10 min) from I to D,
(2) Arrange each carry-on to <22 lb and totaling <30 lb each person,
(3) Submit declaration form up to 24 h ahead and bring no food.

What else should I be aware of? What's the probability of misconnection?
Old Dec 31, 2023, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HkCaGu
2 UA*Gs have 016 tickets UA LAX 07:25 connecting to NZ (UA code) WLG 09:00.

To expedite the connection, I know I have/want to
(1) Walk (10 min) from I to D,
(2) Arrange each carry-on to <22 lb and totaling <30 lb each person,
(3) Submit declaration form up to 24 h ahead and bring no food.

What else should I be aware of? What's the probability of misconnection?
If all 1 ticket/PNR its an Air NZ problem. Not yours
Allowable carry on in this part of the world is *far* less than what is common in USA. Look at the Air NZ web site. Many people check in bags.
Can check in and bag drop for the domsetic flight in the AKL international terminal. Then walk or free bus to domestic terminal.
Depending on passport will need NZeTA -- >NZeTA required from 1 October 2019 to visit or transit New Zealand
Online travel declaration replaces the cardboard arrival card, filled in by hand. But manual arrival card still available.
I would not be concerned. Expect you will have time for a lounge visit. But lounge will be busy: peak commuter time

OP's other NZ thread--> What time to buy NZ tix for 2024 US spend
HkCaGu and taupo like this.
Old Dec 31, 2023, 2:01 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Just be aware that arrivals into AKL were a nightmare in 2023 but got progressively better towards the end of 2023.

At certain times of the day biosecurity screening was taking 60+ mins resulting in significant numbers of people missing connecting flights.
​​​​​​
Things have got a lot better and under normal circumstances there won't be any issues.. But it's still something to be aware of at busy times.
HkCaGu and nancypants like this.
Old Dec 31, 2023, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
I never take the bus and always walk between terminals. Faster to walk than wait for bus. Should have enough time.

If you have change and have luggage (less than 1 hour will have to drop bags at D terminal) More than 1 hour drop at I terminal. Trolley free and available.
HkCaGu likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2023, 3:48 pm

Programs: NZ*E, QF-G, EK-P
As data points…
3 arrivals in Nov / Dec - 2 early Nz arrivals with nothing to declare and straight thru - plane to curb in under 10 mins!
1 mid morning arrival with emirates. No left turn nothing to declare booths were operating and check baggage still less than 25 mins.
HkCaGu likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2023, 10:41 pm

Re 3, the NZTD can be completed from 24 hours from first flight departure, not up to.
HkCaGu likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 1:10 am

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
You do have to get through security if you are connecting to domestic jet service. This can take 15 mins - just another fish hook that you cannot plan for. If you are flying on a turboprop then you don't need to clear security but you are further down the terminal from the jet gates.
HkCaGu likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 2:19 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by CHCflyer
You do have to get through security if you are connecting to domestic jet service. This can take 15 mins - just another fish hook that you cannot plan for. If you are flying on a turboprop then you don't need to clear security but you are further down the terminal from the jet gates.
OP's flight akl-wlg will always require security at domestic terminal. Domestic security normally takes 5 mins, but on a bad day/time can be 15 mins.

To sum up, 95 mins is doable but very risky on separate tickets.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
If all 1 ticket/PNR its an Air NZ problem. Not yours
I had this recently flying SIN-AKL-WLG with a 90 min connection in AKL. SIN-AKL flight was an hour late so knew I would not be making the flight to WLG.

Once I cleared Customs and Biosecurity in AKL, by which point my WLG flight had already departed, I went to premium check in and they rebooked me for the next flight to WLG an hour later.

At the time of booking, I knew the risk, but as it was all on one (NZ) ticket I knew I’d be protected in the case of a misconnect so booked it anyway.

There are plenty of NZ AKL-WLG flights each day anyway (one each hour or so on weekdays) so it’s certainly no big drama if you do misconnect.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Nightowl888
I had this recently flying SIN-AKL-WLG with a 90 min connection in AKL. SIN-AKL flight was an hour late so knew I would not be making the flight to WLG.

Once I cleared Customs and Biosecurity in AKL, by which point my WLG flight had already departed, I went to premium check in and they rebooked me for the next flight to WLG an hour later.

At the time of booking, I knew the risk, but as it was all on one (NZ) ticket I knew I’d be protected in the case of a misconnect so booked it anyway.

There are plenty of NZ AKL-WLG flights each day anyway (one each hour or so on weekdays) so it’s certainly no big drama if you do misconnect.
Same route and same issue for me last Jan. Mrs TK and I were proactively rebooked whilst in-flight SIN-AKL. Unfortunately unable to select seats until at AKL.
Old Jan 3, 2024, 4:56 am

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
Customs had a new process when I arrived into AKL Dec 23 which was much faster. Before you get into the baggage claim hall you get screened based on if you have something to declare/the officer thinks your bags need to be screened. If you don’t need to be screened they put an Express tag on your passport and once you’ve collected your bag you just walk straight out. If something to declare you line up for screening as normal.
Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2024, 6:09 am

Programs: NZ Elite (*G)
Originally Posted by NZ_Flyer
Customs had a new process when I arrived into AKL Dec 23 which was much faster. Before you get into the baggage claim hall you get screened based on if you have something to declare/the officer thinks your bags need to be screened. If you don’t need to be screened they put an Express tag on your passport and once you’ve collected your bag you just walk straight out. If something to declare you line up for screening as normal.
I also arrived into AKL Dec 23 and had the same experience (I only had carry-on, no checked luggage). It was very quick and easy.
Old Feb 6, 2024, 7:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Report: Mon 1/22 UA642 arrived Gate 17 at 0727. Long walk to immigration but all declarations done ahead and no checked bags to wait for. Walked the green path under 21°C temp and 93% humidity. About 15 min to spare at the domestic lounge before 0830 Gate 31 boarding right outside. My bags were 22+17 lb and mom's were 13+8 lb, hitting the max. Nobody checked since we boarded early as *G.

I bought a NZ$49 SIM card on Amazon US for US$29.99. If I had more time, I heard the OneNZ booth inside customs has it a few dollars cheaper compared to the outside world.
Old Feb 6, 2024, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by HkCaGu
Report: Mon 1/22 UA642 arrived Gate 17 at 0727. Long walk to immigration but all declarations done ahead and no checked bags to wait for. Walked the green path under 21°C temp and 93% humidity. About 15 min to spare at the domestic lounge before 0830 Gate 31 boarding right outside. My bags were 22+17 lb and mom's were 13+8 lb, hitting the max. Nobody checked since we boarded early as *G.

I bought a NZ$49 SIM card on Amazon US for US$29.99. If I had more time, I heard the OneNZ booth inside customs has it a few dollars cheaper compared to the outside world.
Yeah GST free SIM card & top up before immigration.

Though personally now using esims for ease of use & with VoWi-Fi phone & SMS keep working
Old Feb 6, 2024, 7:25 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I arrived at AKL on Sunday from the US. It took one hour to get my checked bag - that is onle hour of waiting at the carousel and not from arriving at the gate.. The MPI/Customs pre-clearance desks make a huge difference to processing times but the issue now seems to be ground handling and offloading bags and getting them to the carousel.
It was annoying but I made my connection. Had they come off sooner I would have caught an earlier flight, but at least I didn't miss my scheduled connection.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.