Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What happens after Elite?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2024, 5:12 pm

Programs: Airpoints Elite
Originally Posted by greg23
There was supposed to be a rejig of the Air NZ frequent flyer program in mid-2023. Foran was all over the media promoting it, and telling media agencies that a refresh was coming mid-2023.

We are still waiting...

I dont have any issue with existing qualification criteria, personally my issue is Koru.
Anytime there is a paid membership like Koru, thats the reason for overcrowded lounges, and the existing abuse of the buffet.
Not to mention that one Koru member can bring in their partner, and 3 children up to 17 years.

I'd like to see the introduction of koru guest passes, they had these previously, they were paper cards.
They now have the ability to load guest passes electronically.
Koru members should have a limited number of guest passes per membership year, which covers partners, children etc.
The only exempt should be infants less than 2 years old.
All children older than 2 are taking up a seat in the lounge, and should be counted as a guest. Remove the existing free for all, perhaps 10 guest passes per year?

Current qualification criteria for Silver / Gold / Elite is fair, you earn your status by flying. The fact you can purchase a membership like Koru which delivers almost the same benefits seems a bit absurd.
Agreed. The entire issue could be solved (or largely solved) by adjusting the Koru program by doing something like making guest access a concession card system or even charging a cash fee - perhaps at a discounted rate if added on during the flight booking - for a guest to access.

Out of interest, how many other airlines effectively allow you to purchase for cash (versus actually flying or 'point hacking' on credit cards etc) the vast majority of the benefits that are normally reserved for frequent flyers?

Aside from the opaque upgrades (e.g. I'm sat here having put in an Elite airpoints dollar upgrade request for the first time which has hoovered up a bunch of airpoints that I now can't access until I find out in September whether or not I actually get the upgrade) and the Star Alliance gold benefits which you don't need to be an Elite to get, what else is the benefit really?
Old Jan 8, 2024, 6:59 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by samjnz
The numbers in the lounge really started to swell when they added all the shortcuts for NZ members such as the credit card status points, etc rather than Koru -- I feel the inflection point was sometime around 2012 or so.

​​​​After my last trip (where I couldn't find a seat in the AKL int lounge), I just booked another trip yesterday but decided to book AC instead for a change since ultimately I'm not sure there is any benefit to maintain Elite (especially now the phone lines are constantly clogged making checking for a confirmed upgrade a long process).
Was on AC 40 last week.
They use NZ Intl Lounge, but not very busy at that time.
No hot food.
Old Jan 8, 2024, 7:53 pm

Programs: QFF
Agree that GE is very limited. I think that children (above infant age) should be classed as guests, that you can bring in 3 guests + 3 kids is wild. The only reason I want to requal shortly for GE the following year is because there's a high chance my travel will drastically decrease and I want the soft landing to Gold the year after!
Old Jan 8, 2024, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by ChasingDaylight
Agree that GE is very limited. I think that children (above infant age) should be classed as guests, that you can bring in 3 guests + 3 kids is wild. The only reason I want to requal shortly for GE the following year is because there's a high chance my travel will drastically decrease and I want the soft landing to Gold the year after!
don't forget their elite partner bringing in an additional guest and 3 more kids
Old Jan 8, 2024, 9:46 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand Elite
Also it appears that a lot of the partner airline awards available for Star Alliance airlines are not being made available to Air NZ airpoints members. You see the availability on aeroplan, united etc but not available on the NZ site. Why is that? The only partner awards that seem to be available to airpoints members are mostly intra European flights.
Old Jan 8, 2024, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
I did manage to book AirNZ partner award flights for family TPE-SGN on Eva Air - $AP 250 each in Y compared to $370 from Eva or an OTA.

But cannot find for TG say BKK-SIN even though my THAI account shows oodles of award availability.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 2:15 am

Programs: NZ*E, Accor Plus Platinum
Originally Posted by samjaynz
Agreed. The entire issue could be solved (or largely solved) by adjusting the Koru program by doing something like making guest access a concession card system or even charging a cash fee - perhaps at a discounted rate if added on during the flight booking - for a guest to access.

Out of interest, how many other airlines effectively allow you to purchase for cash (versus actually flying or 'point hacking' on credit cards etc) the vast majority of the benefits that are normally reserved for frequent flyers?

Aside from the opaque upgrades (e.g. I'm sat here having put in an Elite airpoints dollar upgrade request for the first time which has hoovered up a bunch of airpoints that I now can't access until I find out in September whether or not I actually get the upgrade) and the Star Alliance gold benefits which you don't need to be an Elite to get, what else is the benefit really?
It baffles me why they dont make upgrade classes available for Elites to view prior to booking. The upgrade lottery isn't a pleasant one, and the key reason why my recognition upgrades often go unused.
Surely it wouldn't be that difficult to have some type of portal which we access once logged in (much like the partner airline booking tool), where we can check for R class availability.
I dont want to travel in economy on certain flights, especially if travelling with colleagues who have paid for business, and it becomes a time consuming venture phoning and playing around with dates to have any degree of certainty that my upgrade will be confirmed at time of booking.
In the past few years I've managed to secure one confirmed upgrade using a recognition cert AKL/SYD, but all the rest each year have expired without being used.

Even during Covid when premium cabins were full, it was virtually impossible to use recognition upgrades, and my upgrade certs expired. At a minimum they should roll over vs expire.

Begs the question what the perks of Elite are vs Koru, where Koru can be purchased for $694 NZD. Why spend thousands on flying when you can buy the same perks for $700.

Take away the recognition upgrades which a lot of Elites cant avail, and the remaining benefits are almost the same.
Koru have access to the same frequent flyer seating, same lounges (albeit Elites do have star alliance lounge access but this doesn't require Elite tier level), extra bag, premium checkin and boarding.
Oh, thats right Elites also get 6x 24hr valet parking vouchers (which cant be used if you live outside main centres), and a paper card which allows a hotel upgrade (but most hotels have no idea what they are and wont accept them).
My last few flights, I havent even used lounges, because the terminal has been a more peaceful area to relax before boarding.

I'd love to see some additional benefits for Elite frequent flyers, that makes the effort of achieving Elite worthwhile, and puts Elite clearly ahead of other tiers:
- Home pickup/dropoff within a certain radius of airports (eg. 50km) if travelling business class (complimentary corporate cab etc)
- Transparent award availability (R class availability without calling)
- Recognition upgrade certs which rollover vs expire (if elite is retained)
- More recognition upgrade certs (currently only 1 short haul extra compared to Gold, at least provide two short haul for a return journey)

Just a few ideas, but I am sure others have plenty more
Fliar, WLG Base, samjnz and 4 others like this.

Last edited by greg23; Jan 9, 2024 at 2:26 am
Old Jan 9, 2024, 2:26 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by raznz
don't forget their elite partner bringing in an additional guest and 3 more kids
Yikes
Old Jan 9, 2024, 5:40 am

Programs: NZ Elite (*G)
Originally Posted by taupo
Was on AC 40 last week.
They use NZ Intl Lounge, but not very busy at that time.
No hot food.

I was in the NZ International Lounge in Auckland on New Year's Day. Showers were closed due to lack of staff and hot food was not available in the afternoon, although it did become available closer to 5 pm.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by greg23
It baffles me why they dont make upgrade classes available for Elites to view prior to booking. The upgrade lottery isn't a pleasant one, and the key reason why my recognition upgrades often go unused.
Surely it wouldn't be that difficult to have some type of portal which we access once logged in (much like the partner airline booking tool), where we can check for R class availability.
I dont want to travel in economy on certain flights, especially if travelling with colleagues who have paid for business, and it becomes a time consuming venture phoning and playing around with dates to have any degree of certainty that my upgrade will be confirmed at time of booking.
In the past few years I've managed to secure one confirmed upgrade using a recognition cert AKL/SYD, but all the rest each year have expired without being used.

Even during Covid when premium cabins were full, it was virtually impossible to use recognition upgrades, and my upgrade certs expired. At a minimum they should roll over vs expire.

Begs the question what the perks of Elite are vs Koru, where Koru can be purchased for $694 NZD. Why spend thousands on flying when you can buy the same perks for $700.

Take away the recognition upgrades which a lot of Elites cant avail, and the remaining benefits are almost the same.
Koru have access to the same frequent flyer seating, same lounges (albeit Elites do have star alliance lounge access but this doesn't require Elite tier level), extra bag, premium checkin and boarding.
Oh, thats right Elites also get 6x 24hr valet parking vouchers (which cant be used if you live outside main centres), and a paper card which allows a hotel upgrade (but most hotels have no idea what they are and wont accept them).
My last few flights, I havent even used lounges, because the terminal has been a more peaceful area to relax before boarding.

I'd love to see some additional benefits for Elite frequent flyers, that makes the effort of achieving Elite worthwhile, and puts Elite clearly ahead of other tiers:
- Home pickup/dropoff within a certain radius of airports (eg. 50km) if travelling business class (complimentary corporate cab etc)
- Transparent award availability (R class availability without calling)
- Recognition upgrade certs which rollover vs expire (if elite is retained)
- More recognition upgrade certs (currently only 1 short haul extra compared to Gold, at least provide two short haul for a return journey)

Just a few ideas, but I am sure others have plenty more
All good ideas. At some point, either the value of Koru needs to be diminished (e.g. by substantially increasing the price or by reducing the perks such as guest access) or the value of Elite needs to be increased to make it more compelling to retain.

Definitely agree re: the upgrade availability. There needs to be some mechanism by which you can see before booking - without needing to call up - whether you can cash in an upgrade.

On a side note, I've got 2x RUs lodged for me and my wife travelling later in the year (from Auckland to Melbourne) but owing to a family matter it looks like I'm going to need to travel to the UK mid year. I'd rather use those RUs - if possible - to upgrade as I'll probably be flying from Chch to UK via Auckland with the first leg on Air NZ. Is there some 'trick' by which I can call up and basically say "will my currently lodged RUs (for the Auckland to Melbourne flight) go through? If not, can I have them back to try and upgrade my other trip"? Even better, can the call center assist in making that happen? I'll be looking to go from economy to PE if that makes a difference.

Obviously I want to try and maximise the value of the upgrades, and I'd much rather sit in economy for 3.5 hrs than 12.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 2:54 pm

are the AKL-MEL ones already confirmed or still pending? cos you can always ask them to cancel the RU lodgement

on that note - give us the ability to also cancel lodged/pending RUs without having to call. I mean you can do it with OneUp
Old Jan 9, 2024, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by raznz
are the AKL-MEL ones already confirmed or still pending? cos you can always ask them to cancel the RU lodgement

on that note - give us the ability to also cancel lodged/pending RUs without having to call. I mean you can do it with OneUp
AKL-MEL is pending, not confirmed.

I had 2x RUs sitting there "chilling" and this was the only upcoming flight I had the capacity to use them (at the time I booked, rest of our travel for the year is either domestic or trans tasman on the A320/1) so put in the 2x RUs which are still pending.

Since then I've learned I'll need to travel to the UK to see family, so would rather try and use them to get an upgrade on the AKL - SIN (and return) leg when I'm travelling by myself.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 3:27 pm

yea in that case, call up and ask them to cancel the pending RUs and have them applied to your new SIN flights (or returned back if you haven't gotten the flights yet, or while you're there workout a date with them that can potentially get you confirmed A seats)
Old Jan 9, 2024, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by samjnz
The numbers in the lounge really started to swell when they added all the shortcuts for NZ members such as the credit card status points, etc rather than Koru -- I feel the inflection point was sometime around 2012 or so.
Fully agreed. The credit card status point crowds are the real driver of the lounge overcrowding - both in NZ and in similar lounges worldwide. My understanding is that actual "paid for in real money" Koru membership numbers are pretty flat, if not slightly declining recently. Airnz obviously sees value in the Koru program and it is a sought after negotiated perk with various company employees, both public and private sectors.

Rather than diminish the value of Koru, I would simply make it that a Koru membership can only be purchased with real money and not with airpoints. That would keep the corporates happy and dramatically reduce lounge crowding.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 4:56 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by poopbunny
For me, that's too much flying on an inferior and outdated product, eating bad to average tasting food. Access to a few "Special" Lounges that would be mostly inferior to a wider range of separate First / Emerald / Platinum lounges world wide.
The benefits of EP1 go beyond just having lounge access. I have several EP1 clients and can tell you that the benefits of the programme are often invaluable to them and their travel needs.

Also, the majority of EP1 flown sectors are domestic so lounge access/benefits can't really be compared to other airlines' international F lounges.

With EP1, it's not a programme worth going out of your way to try and obtain an invitation. Like any loyalty programme (airlines or other industries), the $$$ value of the benefits will always be significantly lower than the price of admission. However, if you do a significant amount of flying anyway then it will likely benefit you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.