Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What happens after Elite?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2023, 2:32 pm

Programs: NZ GE, QF
Originally Posted by Fliar
I stopped using the NZ lounge in AKL. I now pay for the Strata lounge. I know, stupid as a GE but I really don't enjoy sitting in a zoo.
We do too, which seems stupid for a pair of Elites in J, but the NZ lounge is generally an unpleasant experience.
Old Dec 24, 2023, 8:17 pm

Programs: NZ *E
Originally Posted by edmm
We do too, which seems stupid for a pair of Elites in J, but the NZ lounge is generally an unpleasant experience.
That's a good tip -- will try that when I return to the US later this week (I assumed it would be just as crazy packed given it's in Priority Pass)

Last time I ended up just leaving and going into the main terminal -- the gate areas seemed a lot more relaxing than the lounge
Old Dec 25, 2023, 12:27 am

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Somewhat off topic here but has anyone been in the lounge extension area when they have had the roof open? I thought that the idea was for that area to be a sort of terrace area but I've never experienced it when the roof has been rolled back.
Old Dec 25, 2023, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by CHCflyer
Somewhat off topic here but has anyone been in the lounge extension area when they have had the roof open? I thought that the idea was for that area to be a sort of terrace area but I've never experienced it when the roof has been rolled back.
Given the weather today if they were to do it today would be a prime day?

Do like the outside bit at LAX. Is nice to get smell some Jet-A1 before getting on a plane.
Old Dec 25, 2023, 11:29 pm

Programs: Air NZ Gold
Originally Posted by Fliar
I stopped using the NZ lounge in AKL. I now pay for the Strata lounge. I know, stupid as a GE but I really don't enjoy sitting in a zoo.
When travelling alone I'm a bit guilty of the classic head in the door and if its nuts I grab a coffee to go (not for much longer i guess) and a pastry then find a quiet place in terminal instead. Crazy that you have to leave the lounge to find a quiet spot somedays.
Old Dec 26, 2023, 1:32 am

Programs: NZ*E, Accor Plus Platinum
I dont think they have ever opened it, as they use that space as an additional seating area. I am guessing most people (myself included) are not sitting in that outside area by choice, but due to no seating in the main lounge.
Personally I wouldn't want to be sitting out there in the summer heat prior to a flight, especially if the roof was open.
Old Dec 27, 2023, 10:42 pm

Programs: NZ *E
So I just went into the AKL international lounge and there wasn't a single open seat! Not one!
Ended up going to the Strata lounge as others suggested -- much less crowded.

Overall feeling pretty annoyed given the near extortionate fares AirNZ are charging for BP these days -- definitely looking at another airline for my next trip.
taupo, poopbunny and greg23 like this.
Old Dec 28, 2023, 1:15 am

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by samjnz
So I just went into the AKL international lounge and there wasn't a single open seat! Not one!
Ended up going to the Strata lounge as others suggested -- much less crowded.

Overall feeling pretty annoyed given the near extortionate fares AirNZ are charging for BP these days -- definitely looking at another airline for my next trip.
Does the strata lounge have showers?
Old Dec 28, 2023, 1:59 am

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Showers

Originally Posted by taupo
Does the strata lounge have showers?
Yes
Old Dec 28, 2023, 2:59 am

I find this really shocking, that NZ are happy for their premium customers to be paying for access to the Strata lounge due to no available seating in their flagship Air NZ lounge.

The lounge overcrowding issue has now been ongoing for years (pre-covid NZ would send Koru members to the Strata lounge), and there appears to be no plan underway to resolve the overcrowding issue, what is NZ's solution?
If they start building another lounge at AKL in the international terminal, surely this is a multi year project. They need a solution today, not in 2-3 years time!
They have been talking about a second lounge at AKL for at least 5 years, and they mention it every time something his the media about overcrowded lounges.

At a minimum, the pre-covid measure of sending Koru members to the Strata lounge needs to be reintroduced.

I suspect the Koru program needs to be reconsidered as it appears to be a product which NZ cannot cater for, they dont have sufficient lounge space to cater to number of Koru members flying, let alone paid Business class customers, Elites, Golds, Star alliance Gold's, and guests of these customers.

Currently NZ's lack of any action, is only incentivising people to take their business elsewhere.
Old Dec 28, 2023, 3:07 am

If you havent already seen it, this youtube video, from the 15:00 min mark, is a excellent summary of the Air NZ AKL international lounge, the same zoo atmosphere now is most times of the day:

Old Dec 28, 2023, 10:47 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by greg23
If you havent already seen it, this youtube video, from the 15:00 min mark, is a excellent summary of the Air NZ AKL international lounge, the same zoo atmosphere now is most times of the day:
Ww all know the lounge is a zoo.. But like most YT wannabe travel influencers he is a complete and utter douche thought.

Proceed to watch the video only if you want to lose a few brain cells.
Redkiwi likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2024, 7:55 pm

This thread finally made me bite the bullet and sign up.

This year I've done around 2400 SP on flying, with a few more trips before my anniversary date. I've also got a ANZ Airpoints card that was previously linked to an Airpoints account they created when I signed up for the card rather than my airpoints account. I'm looking at chasing this and seeing if I can get this years flying recognised.

Based on my reading of the thread, there is no point at all to doing this let alone continuing to fly with AirNZ and I probably should have flown with Qantas or someone to get some oneworld status.

I'm responsible for around $100k of business travel with AirNZ and about $50k of personal/family travel per year, EP1 seems to be targeted at those who influence corporate spend above and beyond that number, so sounds like there is again no point in chasing that?

I've also struggled with confirmations of RU. I've flown a lower class, while my family flies Business (J?) and then I've sweated it out till the gate to find out if I got the upgrade... I'd rather have just paid for the seat to be honest. If they had a first product, RUs would be a better reward (happy to sit in Bus if I don't get the first product).

At this point it sounds like next year I should do the minimum travel to keep elite gold and do the rest on another carrier with a different alliance. Convince me otherwise?? Is it worth chasing ANZ/Air New Zealand for the bonus SP I would have earnt???
Old Jan 4, 2024, 11:22 pm

Programs: some
Welcome to FT, jumpywizard!
Old Jan 4, 2024, 11:30 pm

Programs: Airpoints Elite
Originally Posted by sbiddle
Ww all know the lounge is a zoo.. But like most YT wannabe travel influencers he is a complete and utter douche thought.

Proceed to watch the video only if you want to lose a few brain cells.
Agreed. The combination of that sort of absolute thumbnail headline ('Worst X Ever', 'Best Y Of All Time') + the 'YouTube thumbnail face' tell you everything you need to know before clicking play. I appreciate it's all done to attract clicks, but to some extent IMO it's offensive if you have the privilege to travel business class (in fact if you have the privilege to travel at all) to be so hyperbolic about it. Yes, Air NZ has some comparatively poor aspects but there are far worse ways to spend 19 hours than sat in an Air NZ business class seat, that's for sure.

The lounge is abysmal though, as just about everybody is in agreement on. In fact the only time I've really found it good was last year when we took our first international trip ex-Auckland with the toddler in tow. We were staying at the hotel over the road (Novotel I think?) and had an early departure so arrived early at the lounge and went to the dedicated children's room. We spent about two hours in there as we had zoomed through check in, security, customs etc and it was only us and one other family the entire time. Left to go to the gate and by 9am there was a queue forming on the escalator.
Fliar and benbroNZ like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.