Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What happens after Elite?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2023, 5:15 pm

Programs: Airpoints Elite
Originally Posted by samjnz
I think that would be the biggest improvement of all -- wouldn't even need to be a Polaris-style setup (with a dining room etc) but even a less crowded standard lounge space would be nice
One suggestion I have (which would obviously go down like a cup of cold sick with many) but would be to change Koru so that it's some kind of concession card system for lounge access - a bit like the 'Priority Pass' system that I somehow wound up with when I got an Amex card, which has actually been useful when travelling on other airlines. So, for example, if you pay for Koru then you get the earlier boarding, extra baggage or whatever else is included as that all seems fairly manageable (and the boarding process is always a shambles anyway) but you get say 12 lounge entries to use per year, and bringing a guest in takes up one of your concession slots. Or add some nominal fee to use the lounge, e.g. if you are gold/elite/business class you can use the lounge for free but if you are a Koru member you pay $10 added to your ticket at the time of booking.

I've managed to get Elite status this year, which is actually kind of depressing when I consider 90% of my flying is on regional routes ... hardly glamorous. I'll admit it's nice that my wife can get the free Elite partner benefits (as she travels with our child to Wellington once every month or so, and now she can use the lounges etc without me). I've also been successful in at least one upgrade I've put in, which is nice.

However, the biggest issue is the lounges are so overcrowded. Auckland domestic being the most egregious example of this, where it is so packed at peak hour that I actively avoid the place (thus negating the benefit I've earned by giving Air NZ probably too much of my hard earned). I appreciate that Koru is a nice way for Air NZ to make extra $$$, and I think it would cause too much of an uproar to remove the system altogether, but perhaps making it a bit more limited to balance out in favour of the higher tier frequent flyers could be an option.

Otherwise, as others have said, outside of the unreliable upgrades there seems to be little advantage to maintaining a high status versus just paying $500 a year to get lounge access. I feel like such a snob saying it, but considering this thread is from the perspective of higher tier members saying "is it worth it" that's where my suggestion comes from (obviously I'd not be so happy if I had to pay or have my access curtailed).

Failing that, build some more lounges!!!

Realistically airports here aren't going to be big enough to run separate lounges.
Fliar, Ellice and Murihiku like this.
Old Dec 12, 2023, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by samjaynz
One suggestion I have (which would obviously go down like a cup of cold sick with many) but would be to change Koru so that it's some kind of concession card system for lounge access - a bit like the 'Priority Pass' system that I somehow wound up with when I got an Amex card, which has actually been useful when travelling on other airlines. So, for example, if you pay for Koru then you get the earlier boarding, extra baggage or whatever else is included as that all seems fairly manageable (and the boarding process is always a shambles anyway) but you get say 12 lounge entries to use per year, and bringing a guest in takes up one of your concession slots. Or add some nominal fee to use the lounge, e.g. if you are gold/elite/business class you can use the lounge for free but if you are a Koru member you pay $10 added to your ticket at the time of booking.

I've managed to get Elite status this year, which is actually kind of depressing when I consider 90% of my flying is on regional routes ... hardly glamorous. I'll admit it's nice that my wife can get the free Elite partner benefits (as she travels with our child to Wellington once every month or so, and now she can use the lounges etc without me). I've also been successful in at least one upgrade I've put in, which is nice.

However, the biggest issue is the lounges are so overcrowded. Auckland domestic being the most egregious example of this, where it is so packed at peak hour that I actively avoid the place (thus negating the benefit I've earned by giving Air NZ probably too much of my hard earned). I appreciate that Koru is a nice way for Air NZ to make extra $$$, and I think it would cause too much of an uproar to remove the system altogether, but perhaps making it a bit more limited to balance out in favour of the higher tier frequent flyers could be an option.

Otherwise, as others have said, outside of the unreliable upgrades there seems to be little advantage to maintaining a high status versus just paying $500 a year to get lounge access. I feel like such a snob saying it, but considering this thread is from the perspective of higher tier members saying "is it worth it" that's where my suggestion comes from (obviously I'd not be so happy if I had to pay or have my access curtailed).

Failing that, build some more lounges!!!

Realistically airports here aren't going to be big enough to run separate lounges.
AKL which seems to be the worse don't see anything happening until the terminal redevelopment happens.

Just hoping AirNZ has enough space in the new plan to grow.

And given the current Airlines vs AKL spat won't see a lonuge on the north pier anytime soon.

They are redeveloping the WLG regional lounge though don't know what the outcome will be. Does anyone know what is happening?

One upside to far less international flights in Wellington is the international lounge seems to have room now.
Old Dec 12, 2023, 6:20 pm

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by samjaynz

However, the biggest issue is the lounges are so overcrowded. Auckland domestic being the most egregious example of this, where it is so packed at peak hour that I actively avoid the place

The problem is the rest of the terminal, especially airside, is so completely dire. That strange little cafe tucked away on the side is about it right?

In CHC when I fly JQ I dont mind sitting in the airside area, lots of space and different seating options, power points, etc. AKL Domestic is just a dump.

I understand that there is a new development but has the greedy AIAL actually done anything to improve the passenger experience in the meantime?
Old Dec 12, 2023, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by oranjemakker
The problem is the rest of the terminal, especially airside, is so completely dire. That strange little cafe tucked away on the side is about it right?

In CHC when I fly JQ I dont mind sitting in the airside area, lots of space and different seating options, power points, etc. AKL Domestic is just a dump.

I understand that there is a new development but has the greedy AIAL actually done anything to improve the passenger experience in the meantime?
Good point. I'm chch based, and so spend plenty of time there and agree that both the pre and post security areas are really decent. Different cafes, shops, lots of seating in different configurations. Once you pass security in Auckland there is that one little convenience shop, and then the weird corner cafe (that seems to be closed half the time as you say). Agree that part of the blame rests with AIAL, it really is a grim place and I guess the Air NZ lounge offers some respite.
oranjemakker and Markhm like this.
Old Dec 13, 2023, 1:46 am

Programs: NZ ELT, QR SIL
Completely agree with the above.

New separate lounges in the major ports for Business/Elite customers only would be a major improvement. Or, in my opinion, what would solve most of the issues would be to cull the Koru programme in its entirety. Its seems that most of the nation is a Koru member (or a guest thereof) and if everyone is special - no one is.

Earlier this week I flew PMR to IVC via AKL. I walked into the AKL lounge and saw it was feeding time at the zoo, did a u-turn and sat in the terminal for 20 minutes.
Old Dec 13, 2023, 2:00 am

Originally Posted by Murihiku
Completely agree with the above.

New separate lounges in the major ports for Business/Elite customers only would be a major improvement. Or, in my opinion, what would solve most of the issues would be to cull the Koru programme in its entirety. Its seems that most of the nation is a Koru member (or a guest thereof) and if everyone is special - no one is.

Earlier this week I flew PMR to IVC via AKL. I walked into the AKL lounge and saw it was feeding time at the zoo, did a u-turn and sat in the terminal for 20 minutes.
You're right, everybody seems to have a membership. I swear you see more passengers with the Koru bag tag than without. I'm guessing (with no evidence to back this up so correct me if I'm wrong) that many Koru members are having their memberships paid for/expensed by work - perhaps as a bit of a 'value add' for the employee. E.g. I have a friend who flies to Wellington maybe once every 2-3 months for work, and her employer pays for a membership. I guess perhaps employers/businesses/government departments can get bulk rate pricing for their staff.
Ellice likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2023, 2:25 am

Programs: NZ*E, Accor Plus Platinum
A bit of a guess, but Koru must be massively profitable for NZ to be happy to continue offering it at its current pricing knowing how detrimental it is in adding to lounge overcrowding, and as a result actively pissing off their most loyal frequent flyers who spend tens of thousands each year with NZ and cant find a seat in a lounge.

So if Koru is so incredibly profitable, surely larger lounges are a no brainer, even for Auckland domestic where they are still going to remain for several more years.

As far as finding space, where there is a will there is a way. Perhaps build above the existing domestic jet Koru lounge at Auckland?
I believe there is also a significant staff space/crew rooms/offices on the same floor as the existing jet koru lounge, what about relocating those staff spaces to double the size of the existing koru facility? Perhaps their staff lunch rooms can be relocated to an alternative area.

Its not just Auckland domestic, even the relatively new Christchurch domestic Koru lounge which is only a few years old, is often standing room only at peak times.

I think its time NZ stopped brushing the lounge overcrowding issue under the carpet, and actually address it with expansion plans..

Or alternatively increase the pricing of Koru in the hope of reducing membership numbers..
Old Dec 13, 2023, 5:17 pm

Programs: NZ GE, QF
Originally Posted by greg23
A bit of a guess, but Koru must be massively profitable for NZ to be happy to continue offering it at its current pricing knowing how detrimental it is in adding to lounge overcrowding, and as a result actively pissing off their most loyal frequent flyers who spend tens of thousands each year with NZ and cant find a seat in a lounge.

So if Koru is so incredibly profitable, surely larger lounges are a no brainer, even for Auckland domestic where they are still going to remain for several more years.

As far as finding space, where there is a will there is a way. Perhaps build above the existing domestic jet Koru lounge at Auckland?
I believe there is also a significant staff space/crew rooms/offices on the same floor as the existing jet koru lounge, what about relocating those staff spaces to double the size of the existing koru facility? Perhaps their staff lunch rooms can be relocated to an alternative area.

Its not just Auckland domestic, even the relatively new Christchurch domestic Koru lounge which is only a few years old, is often standing room only at peak times.

I think its time NZ stopped brushing the lounge overcrowding issue under the carpet, and actually address it with expansion plans..

Or alternatively increase the pricing of Koru in the hope of reducing membership numbers..
More lounge capacity has been needed for a very long time, but NZ seem unwilling to tackle the issue. Anything they do add is likely to be inadequate.
One immediate fix would be to have no guests for Koru. This is important for the upcoming school holidays, where one Koru membership can get in an accompanying person and all of their offspring.
In addition, I think Koru should not be able to choose "premium" seating, there are far too many people "entitled" to it. They could get standard seat-select for free.
bonkiebonks, Ellice and Murihiku like this.
Old Dec 16, 2023, 3:21 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QFWP, IHG Plat, *wood Gold
Originally Posted by nzkarit
AKL which seems to be the worse don't see anything happening until the terminal redevelopment happens.

Just hoping AirNZ has enough space in the new plan to grow.

And given the current Airlines vs AKL spat won't see a lonuge on the north pier anytime soon.

They are redeveloping the WLG regional lounge though don't know what the outcome will be. Does anyone know what is happening?

One upside to far less international flights in Wellington is the international lounge seems to have room now.
The refurbishment at WLGr is on track to be opened next week (before christmas) i think. It is essentially opening up the space and incorporating the bit of space that was tucked away beyond a door and was only seating. should make a difference and is a better use of the space that they already have.
Old Dec 16, 2023, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by djsteve
The refurbishment at WLGr is on track to be opened next week (before christmas) i think. It is essentially opening up the space and incorporating the bit of space that was tucked away beyond a door and was only seating. should make a difference and is a better use of the space that they already have.
Cool.

Suprised it took so long to knock the wall down.

If it could be open first thing Monday morning that would be helpful as have an a320 from the north pier. The regional lounge saves 2 security lines
Old Dec 16, 2023, 4:11 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
I'm surprised they've been so quiet about the date. I got the email from them on the 30th Nov saying it was opening "early Dec" but since then there has been silence on the ground.
Old Dec 17, 2023, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by djsteve
Cool.

Suprised it took so long to knock the wall down.

If it could be open first thing Monday morning that would be helpful as have an a320 from the north pier. The regional lounge saves 2 security lines
Originally Posted by sbiddle
I'm surprised they've been so quiet about the date. I got the email from them on the 30th Nov saying it was opening "early Dec" but since then there has been silence on the ground.
A colleague mentioned that the WLG regional lounge reopened late last week. Massive improvement apparently.
Old Dec 17, 2023, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by AviationNZ
A colleague mentioned that the WLG regional lounge reopened late last week. Massive improvement apparently.
Cool.

My flight got moved to G16 so didn't have a look at the regional this morning.

Though main lounge seemed emptier today than last Monday for the same flight, so may be people heading to regional lonuge?
Old Dec 17, 2023, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Cool.

My flight got moved to G16 so didn't have a look at the regional this morning.

Though main lounge seemed emptier today than last Monday for the same flight, so may be people heading to regional lonuge?
Possibly - or maybe just a golden week - reduced business travel, not quite holiday travel?
Old Dec 24, 2023, 3:12 am

Programs: some
I stopped using the NZ lounge in AKL. I now pay for the Strata lounge. I know, stupid as a GE but I really don't enjoy sitting in a zoo.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.