Wiki Posts
Search

*Gold to Pay for Seats in Y?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2023, 1:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
*Gold to Pay for Seats in Y?

I'm a UA Mileage Plus lifetime Platinum and just tried to book a revenue trip in Y SYD-AKL-NAN (A32X) using the NZ website, and I couldn't select any seat without paying a fee.

This seemed rather odd, as a few weeks ago I booked SYD-AKL-RAR in Y and was able to select a range of seats for free.

Has something changed very recently?
Old Sep 21, 2023, 4:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Grace B
I'm a UA Mileage Plus lifetime Platinum and just tried to book a revenue trip in Y SYD-AKL-NAN (A32X) using the NZ website, and I couldn't select any seat without paying a fee.

This seemed rather odd, as a few weeks ago I booked SYD-AKL-RAR in Y and was able to select a range of seats for free.

*G priority seating is not a benefit on *A and so not for NZ.

In terms of paid seating, the fare product and fare class selected may be the culprit.
progapanda likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2023, 5:25 am

Programs: NZ*E, Accor Plus Platinum
It's the same whenever I book SQ, I enter my Air NZ *G card number, but this doesn't give me access to free seat selection. I pay for any economy seat selection, including the seats which are not priority/forward cabin seats.
Old Sep 21, 2023, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by Grace B

Yup non-NZ *G will no longer get free frequent flyer seatings.

For Trans-Tasman and Island routes, if you paid for seat and seat+bags then every seat is payable. But if you had booked the works or WD (which you most likely would have for the RAR flight) then only the preferred and exit seats are chargeable.

I know it’s less than ideal, but I moan about the lack of free access to UA’s E+ seats as well so it goes both ways.
Grace B likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2023, 11:28 am

Programs: QFF
Yup, flying with UA shortly as NZ GE. Zero love for Y+ seating.
akl_cat likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2023, 11:39 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by ChasingDaylight
Yup, flying with UA shortly as NZ GE. Zero love for Y+ seating.
I'm really looking forward to my UA flight in two weeks in 37A. It'll certainly be a great way to take in my first 737 MAX flight. 🤣
akl_cat likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2023, 2:50 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by sbiddle
I'm really looking forward to my UA flight in two weeks in 37A. It'll certainly be a great way to take in my first 737 MAX flight. 🤣
If only UA embraced forward/rear boarding on there 737s…

That said when I was NZ gold, wasn’t uncommon if booked a flight a couple of hours before departure to end up in the last row.
akl_cat likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2023, 8:08 pm

Ask at check in for Y+ on United, I've been successful a few times getting bumped up others have been declined. No harm in asking, worst that can happen is you are stuck with what you have
Old Sep 21, 2023, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by racekp
Ask at check in for Y+ on United, I've been successful a few times getting bumped up others have been declined. No harm in asking, worst that can happen is you are stuck with what you have
Premier Access check-in always used to bump you forward, but I've heard this doesn't happen now.
zoovet likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2023, 2:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
*G priority seating is not a benefit on *A and so not for NZ.

In terms of paid seating, the fare product and fare class selected may be the culprit.
Yes, I'm sure you're right re fare class.

Glad I'm also a One World Emerald member, as they do seem to have reciprocal seating benefits. In this case I was just using up some credits I accumulated because of Covid cancellations..
Old Sep 22, 2023, 12:15 pm

Premier Access check-in always used to bump you forward, but I've heard this doesn't happen now.
Tempted to try this in a few days, but also tempted to not leave it up to chance (i.e pay!)
Old Sep 22, 2023, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by ChasingDaylight
Tempted to try this in a few days, but also tempted to not leave it up to chance (i.e pay!)
I did see a post from somebody on here maybe earlier this year who went to the online chat and simply asked if they could get a better seat as *G and got one.
ChasingDaylight likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2023, 6:46 pm

I did see a post from somebody on here maybe earlier this year who went to the online chat and simply asked if they could get a better seat as *G and got one.
Tried & had some success - but cannot change it for another seat without paying. Happy either way!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.