Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can I take away food from the lounge?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2023, 5:35 pm
Original Poster

Can I take away food from the lounge?

Is there any Air NZ policy against discretely filling up a takeaway box with some food, grabbing a couple of non-booze drinks and leaving?
Old Jul 30, 2023, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by ttravelator
Is there any Air NZ policy against discretely filling up a takeaway box with some food, grabbing a couple of non-booze drinks and leaving?
What do the T&C for AirNZ lounges say? You've looked I assume...

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Jul 30, 2023 at 5:54 pm
Old Jul 30, 2023, 5:49 pm

Programs: NZ*E, QF-G, EK-P
I believe so.
'All food and drink are to be consumed on the premises'
I have seen them go after people who filled their bags.
I occasionally take a can of Coke Zero, but fully in the knowledge I could be told off, and have never been told off.
becks1 likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2023, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by bce1
I believe so.
'All food and drink are to be consumed on the premises'
I have seen them go after people who filled their bags.
I occasionally take a can of Coke Zero, but fully in the knowledge I could be told off, and have never been told off.
A take away box would be a no go. Grabbing a can of soft drink or a piece of fruit on the way out would be fine.

The longue is for your wait at the airport not to feed you for the day.
stifle, Adam1222 and becks1 like this.
Old Jul 30, 2023, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK, so I looked:

The range, timing and scope of the food and beverage offering in any Air New Zealand Lounge shall operate strictly in accordance with any applicable license. Occupants may not open or consume their own alcohol in any Air New Zealand Lounge nor may they take any food or beverage out of an Air New Zealand Lounge when they leave (subject to the discretion of Air New Zealand Lounge staff).
The bracketed statement seems to leave the option for staff to allow if asked (perhaps for kids?)
Old Jul 30, 2023, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nzkarit
... The longue is for your wait at the airport not to feed you for the day.
Where does it say that in the conditions? Although I generally agree...

Based on my observations, AirNZ lounges are rapidly trending to an 'all you can eat and drink' challenge...
Ellice likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2023, 9:59 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Regardless of whether you're allowed to or not, filling a takeaway box with lounge food rather than just taking a piece of fruit is a bit uncouth TBH...
Ellice, awayIgo, stifle and 9 others like this.
Old Jul 30, 2023, 10:34 pm
Original Poster

Perfect. Thank you!
Old Jul 30, 2023, 10:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
OK, so I looked:

The bracketed statement seems to leave the option for staff to allow if asked (perhaps for kids?)
Perfect. Thank you!
Old Jul 30, 2023, 10:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LyingFlat
Regardless of whether you're allowed to or not, filling a takeaway box with lounge food rather than just taking a piece of fruit is a bit uncouth TBH...
What is the reasoning behind it being uncouth?

Is it more polite to stay and socialize?
Old Jul 30, 2023, 11:00 pm

I was just in WLG dom koru today and noticed a sign by the hot buffet saying to the effect of “food and bev from lounge are to be consumed within the lounge”. But in reality I think it really gets down to the lounge staff.

In one of the small regional lounges I was there late and the lounge staff encouraged me to take a sammie and a pie out and head straight to the gate.
Old Jul 31, 2023, 1:31 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Just don't take the booze out - without naming any locations I'm aware of a few incidents in recent years where people have thought they were entitled to take full bottles for their own consumption after the flight.. Air NZ do not like this!
Old Jul 31, 2023, 4:21 am

Programs: NZ *E, QF Gold, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, PanPacific Platinum
Originally Posted by ttravelator
What is the reasoning behind it being uncouth?

Is it more polite to stay and socialize?
It’s more polite to abide by the terms of the lounge. If you want takeway in a box go to BK or Subway etc,
Old Jul 31, 2023, 7:27 am

Programs: Air NZ *E
I know a woman who puts food on a plate, then transfers it into a small lunchbox at her own seat. She does this for trans-tasman flights without a meal. Uncouth? Maybe, but Air NZ is ripping you off anyway.
Old Jul 31, 2023, 3:32 pm

I've taken food a couple of times... Sure, it's not appropriate, but it seemed like a good thing to do at the time! I had some snaplock bags with me so grabbed a few things to takeaway. I mean, is it really a problem? Don't take the booze. That's probably going a bit far!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.