Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Changing First Flight Of A Layover Ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2023, 6:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Airpoints Elite

Long story short, I made the foolish decision to purchase my wife Taylor Swift tickets as an early Christmas and birthday surprise (will be for the next decade's worth at the price those tickets cost).

Not wanting to miss out on flights, as soon as I got the tickets I jumped on Air NZ and booked a return flight from Chch to Sydney via Auckland (fly up on the Wednesday night, depart Auckland at 9am on Thursday). I was able to get premium economy for hardly any more than a seat + bag fare from Chch on the Thursday AM, and now we don't have to be up a at 3am either.

The flight to Auckland the day before is the 8.40pm departure from Chch. What I'd like to do is try and leave earlier but keep the single ticket/booking to Sydney - we have a family friend in Auckland we'd like to try and meet up with, so want to try and get a mid afternoon departure from Chch to Auckland.

Does anybody know if it's possible to get Air NZ to accommodate this kind of request? Basically change just the Chc-Auckland flight and not the Auckland-Sydney flight.

If I try and change online I can only adjust the entire travel itinerary if that makes sense?

I'm hoping somebody can give me a pointer before I commit to spending the next hour or so on hold (seeing as I've already spent hours in the useless Ticketmaster lobby this week trying to score the darn tickets)

Last edited by samjaynz; Jun 28, 2023 at 7:00 pm Reason: missed info
Old Jun 28, 2023, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by samjaynz
Long story short, I made the foolish decision to purchase my wife Taylor Swift tickets as an early Christmas and birthday surprise (will be for the next decade's worth at the price those tickets cost).

Not wanting to miss out on flights, as soon as I got the tickets I jumped on Air NZ and booked a return flight from Chch to Sydney via Auckland (fly up on the Wednesday night, depart Auckland at 9am on Thursday). I was able to get premium economy for hardly any more than a seat + bag fare from Chch on the Thursday AM, and now we don't have to be up a at 3am either.

The flight to Auckland the day before is the 8.40pm departure from Chch. What I'd like to do is try and leave earlier but keep the single ticket/booking to Sydney - we have a family friend in Auckland we'd like to try and meet up with, so want to try and get a mid afternoon departure from Chch to Auckland.

Does anybody know if it's possible to get Air NZ to accommodate this kind of request? Basically change just the Chc-Auckland flight and not the Auckland-Sydney flight.

If I try and change online I can only adjust the entire travel itinerary if that makes sense?

I'm hoping somebody can give me a pointer before I commit to spending the next hour or so on hold (seeing as I've already spent hours in the useless Ticketmaster lobby this week trying to score the darn tickets)

You’ll need to call NZ and ask them to change. They could make the change free of any fees as presumably the ‘add-on’ fare CHC-AKL will be in full Y class given you are in PE AKL-SYD.

It is possible they’ll charge you a Service Fee - check the Fare Rules. Presumably you have a TT premium Economy Smart Saver fare?

https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/tasm...ns-smart-saver
Old Jun 28, 2023, 7:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
You’ll need to call NZ and ask them to change. They could make the change free of any fees as presumably the ‘add-on’ fare CHC-AKL will be in full Y class given you are in PE AKL-SYD.

It is possible they’ll charge you a Service Fee - check the Fare Rules. Presumably you have a TT premium Economy Smart Saver fare?

https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/tasm...ns-smart-saver
"Economy - Tasman Premium Economy Flexi Fare" is what the booking documentation says (for the Chc - Akl bit)
Old Jun 28, 2023, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"Economy - Tasman Premium Economy Flexi Fare" is what the booking documentation says (for the Chc - Akl bit)
Flexi should allow such changes for free. We did just this recently for an overseas journey to tidy-up a better connection.

The actual PDF e-ticket should also show the fare class ‘letter’ - CHC-AKL Y, AKL-SYD U or E. But that isn’t so important in this case.

See this example below

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Jun 28, 2023 at 7:42 pm
Old Jun 28, 2023, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Free changes confirmed:

https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/tasm...nditions-flexi
Old Jun 28, 2023, 7:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Flexi should allow such changes for free. We did just this recently for an overseas journey to tidy-up a better connection.

The actual PDF e-ticket should also show the fare class ‘letter’ - CHC-AKL Y, AKL-SYD U or E. But that isn’t so important in this case.

See this example below

Ok perfect, thanks. I'll give them a call and ask to change to an earlier flight in this case. I just didn't want to stay on hold only to find it wasn't possible!
Old Jun 28, 2023, 11:51 pm

I’ve successfully gotten something like this changed, was originally on a PM flight wlg to AKL, enroute to SG, messaged on whatsapp and they changed me to a morning flight for free.

they did say something about since they can’t take credit card details on whatsapp they waived the service fee. Might be a good option since you’re not in a rush
Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2023, 2:02 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Domestic add-ons are flexi for all international trips even if they don't say it.

I've routinely changed to earlier flights for WLG-AKL before evening US departures - I've never bothered calling to get this done (apparently that is a lot of work for them) but on the day checkin staff can easily change the flights.
Old Jun 29, 2023, 2:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sbiddle
Domestic add-ons are flexi for all international trips even if they don't say it.

I've routinely changed to earlier flights for WLG-AKL before evening US departures - I've never bothered calling to get this done (apparently that is a lot of work for them) but on the day checkin staff can easily change the flights.
Even on an economy Global Sale fare to, say, Hawaii? That is good to hear…..
Old Jun 29, 2023, 2:12 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
I will reference this by saying my last US trip was Oct 2019 - but I don't see why Air NZ would have changed anything. They need the flexibility component so it's easy for them to change domestic connections for arrivals if flights are delayed or people miss connections due to delays on arrival.

With married fares domestic addon prices are all over the place. I had two US trips in 2019 with crazy (4hr +) connections in Auckland because the fare prices for say a LAX-WLG with a 8am AKL-WLG were maybe $200 more than say a 11am AKL-WLG.

I'd just book the cheaper fare and then rock up to domestic and they'll happily change to the earlier flight. Likewise after nearly having a Chicago holiday ruined after a delayed WLG-AKL flight on a Friday evening I am a little risk averse when it comes to ~75 - 90 min connections at AKL. If I can see there are weather issues or delays starting to happen with a plane or across the network during the day I just turn up and change to an earlier flight.
Thai-Kiwi likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.