Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Recognition Upgrade VS OneUp

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2023, 7:25 pm
Original Poster

Recognition Upgrade VS OneUp

I am flying from Auckland to Tokyo on Monday next week with my father and requested recognition upgrade for myself (Gold, Y to PE) and OneUp request for my father (Y to PE, no uplifting).

Interestingly, my father's ticket was successfully upgraded this morning but still pending for my recognition upgrade request.
According to AirNZ website,

"We review Recognition Upgrades before OneUp offers, so it's unlikely you will miss out"

Is this kind of thing normal?

I spoke to the customer service over the phone but they say they can do nothing as it's being done automatically.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Old May 19, 2023, 7:53 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador
It depends when you lodged the RU request. RUs should have priority over OneUp provided you lodge the RU at least 7 days before the flight. If you lodge it within 7 days, there is the possibility that OneUps will get processed before your RU as these start getting looked at around 6 days prior to departure.
Old May 19, 2023, 9:37 pm

That’s terrible and another slight from NZ against its most loyal customers. Likely to be some system issue I’d imagine.
Old May 19, 2023, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by codyc1515
That’s terrible and another slight from NZ against its most loyal customers. Likely to be some system issue I’d imagine.
As I mentioned above, it's likely a timing issue. NZ are quite clear that RUs should be requested at least 7 days before departure to be considered prior to OneUps:

To improve your chances of having your Upgrade confirmed, it's best to request a Recognition Upgrade at the time you book or at least seven days before your flight. This will allow us to assess your request prior to processing any OneUp Upgrades.

https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/recognition-upgrades
Old May 19, 2023, 10:20 pm
Original Poster

RU was requested about 2 months ago and OneUp request followed it.
That's why this is very weird.
Old May 19, 2023, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by cty0691
Not that it should matter, but were you Silver when it was lodged, and are now Gold?
Old May 20, 2023, 12:33 am

You should definitely have been prioritised ahead of your father.

I suspect there was some kind of glitch. If it were me I'd get on the phone to them and have a go...
Old May 20, 2023, 1:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Not that it should matter, but were you Silver when it was lodged, and are now Gold?
No, Gold member for 5+ years consecutively.
Old May 20, 2023, 1:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LyingFlat
You should definitely have been prioritised ahead of your father.

I suspect there was some kind of glitch. If it were me I'd get on the phone to them and have a go...
I spoke to them over the phone and they even spoke to their supervisor as well but no luck.
Old May 20, 2023, 3:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I spoke to them over the phone and they even spoke to their supervisor as well but no luck.
Well the upgrade system is quite broken given your report.

Perhaps email the Gold address or to the general contact portal.
Old May 20, 2023, 5:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by codyc1515
Just spoke to Air NZ customer service again and their explanation was

RU is complimentary upgrade and Oneup is commercial thing so this can happen at anytime.

I am not an elite member but still, I personally don't feel loyal to them.
Old May 20, 2023, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just spoke to Air NZ customer service again and their explanation was

RU is complimentary upgrade and Oneup is commercial thing so this can happen at anytime.

I am not an elite member but still, I personally don't feel loyal to them.
I am astonished at this explanation (other phrases come to mind). Up to you, but if me I'd escalate and pursue the matter as a point of principle....
prp343 likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2023, 9:27 pm

I’ve had a similar experience. Booked to fly PER-AKL tonight and submitted a recognition upgrade request at the time of booking. Also submitted a One Up bid for my partner (separate PNR) at booking, which was declined yesterday. My recognition upgrade request meanwhile still hasn’t been accepted / declined. EF shows three seats free still so not sure what’s going on.

It’s frustrating as I am Silver but will reach Gold on this flight, so lose the upgrade if not accepted.
Old Jun 8, 2023, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shortlist
I’ve had a similar experience. Booked to fly PER-AKL tonight and submitted a recognition upgrade request at the time of booking. Also submitted a One Up bid for my partner (separate PNR) at booking, which was declined yesterday. My recognition upgrade request meanwhile still hasn’t been accepted / declined. EF shows three seats free still so not sure what’s going on.

It’s frustrating as I am Silver but will reach Gold on this flight, so lose the upgrade if not accepted.
Your situation is quite normal, unfortunately. The OneUp has been declined. As a Silver, you are at the bottom of the RU list, and could clear as late as at boarding (or not at all).

There are 4 business seats for sale still based on a dummy booking, so good luck. EF seat-maps are not that useful as AirNZ blocks some seats (allocated by airport control) which are indistinguishable from occupied seats.

The situation above is quite different is that the OneUp cleared, but the RU did not - which seems against the upgrade priority for processing.

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Jun 8, 2023 at 9:51 pm Reason: looked at a dummy booking
Old Jun 8, 2023, 9:45 pm

Oh okay thank you - I thought RUs were processed before any One Up but good to know.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.