Wiki Posts
Search

Qualifying for Elite

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2023, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

Qualifying for Elite

Hi all,

Just a question re qualifying for GE on NZ.

Would status points gained from flying SQ J AKL to ICN (via SIN) with SQ flight number satisfy the GE requirement of “at least 900 on Air New Zealand operated flights or qualifying partner airline flights or from Frequent Flyer Status Boost”?

Or does it have to be NZ flight number?

Thanks.
Old Apr 25, 2023, 6:20 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by bonkiebonks
Hi all,

Just a question re qualifying for GE on NZ.

Would status points gained from flying SQ J AKL to ICN (via SIN) with SQ flight number satisfy the GE requirement of “at least 900 on Air New Zealand operated flights or qualifying partner airline flights or from Frequent Flyer Status Boost”?

Or does it have to be NZ flight number?

Thanks.
No. SQ don't meet the definition of a qualifying partner. Even if they were the flight needs to be booked with a NZ flight number on NZ ticket stock.

Your earn will be parter earn at the appropriate SQ earn rates.

https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/co-operation-partners
Old Apr 25, 2023, 7:11 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by sbiddle
No. SQ don't meet the definition of a qualifying partner. Even if they were the flight needs to be booked with a NZ flight number on NZ ticket stock.

Your earn will be parter earn at the appropriate SQ earn rates.

https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/co-operation-partners
However, if the AKL-SIN flight is NZ operated/SQ marketed then it will count as part of the 900 NZ-metal requirements.
Old Apr 25, 2023, 7:24 pm

Programs: AirNZ *GE
I'm pretty sure that it qualifies.

March 2020 I booked a SQ ticket through the SQ website (nothing to do with AirNZ) and was credited APD and Status points.
I also flew in Jan 2023 on multiple UA flights, ticketed via UA (with one AirNZ flight) and was credited APD and Status Points for all flights (enough to get me to *G). The AKL-SFO leg was even awarded as a partner flight like the AKL-SIN flight is which got me more APD and SP.
Old Apr 25, 2023, 7:40 pm

I've had some LX and SAS flights that were non 086 tickets that counted as my qualification to silver and gold. I mentioned this because I was already way over the halfway threshold on status points earned from credit cards so my SP wasn't moving beforehand on both occassions.
Old Apr 25, 2023, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by ExpectTheUnexpected

March 2020 I booked a SQ ticket through the SQ website (nothing to do with AirNZ) and was credited APD and Status points.
I also flew in Jan 2023 on multiple UA flights, ticketed via UA (with one AirNZ flight) and was credited APD and Status Points for all flights (enough to get me to *G). The AKL-SFO leg was even awarded as a partner flight like the AKL-SIN flight is which got me more APD and SP.
Yes *A flights will earn SP and APD. And the SP will be good for Gold, as is 50% *A.

For Elite you need NZ metal or Qualifying partner airline flights for the 60%. Other flights will give you SP and APD but the SP will count in the 40% non metal tally.

From https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/co-operation-partners

• Cathay Pacific on flights between Auckland or Christchurch and Hong Kong
  • United on flights between Auckland and San Francisco
  • Air China on flights between Auckland and Beijing
Old Apr 25, 2023, 7:53 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies.

For GE qualification, I note that “Star Alliance flights” is missing from list of qualifying flights.

To qualify for Silver, it states “(at least half on Air New Zealand operated flights, qualifying partner airline flights, or Star Alliance qualifying flights)”.

To qualify for Gold, “(at least half on Air New Zealand operated flights, qualifying partner airline flights, or Star Alliance qualifying flights or from Frequent Flyer Status Boost)”.

And to qualify for Elite, “(at least 900 on Air New Zealand operated flights or qualifying partner airline flights or from Frequent Flyer Status Boost)”.

Hence my query.
Old Apr 25, 2023, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by bonkiebonks
“Star Alliance flights” is missing from list of qualifying flights.
They are not missing. They don't meet the criteria hence them not being included. If *A flights were to be counted they would be included.

It has been this way for years.
Old Apr 25, 2023, 9:20 pm

bugger looks like my upcomming SG flights are not going to get me to elite
Old Apr 26, 2023, 1:38 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by ExpectTheUnexpected

This is exactly how the system works - you earn APD/SP on any *A flight (providing the booking class is eligible) regardless of how you book it.

These however don't count towards the Elite 810/900 requirement for NZ metal earn, they are counted as "other" along with credit card earn. The exception to this is flights that meet the partner requirements.
Old Apr 26, 2023, 2:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
As I have mentioned before, a ‘NZ metal’ slider would be a very useful additional.

The app has no information on NZ metal progress, and the webpage has very small numerical text indicating NZ metal SP needed. It’s almost as if AirNZ hopes some folks will overlook this…

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.