Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stuff - Elite Perks

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2023, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Stuff - Elite Perks

Funny article where they find out of the hidden perks of Elite that no one talks about.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/news/...dy-talks-about
For me, there is one perk that rules them all: Elite Partner.

This means you can essentially gift an Elite status to anyone, and they’ll receive many of the same benefits as you do.
Umm Elite Partner is only a free Koru membership.

And the other hidden perk:
Get the fancy headphones (how many people who fly and are Elite don't have their own noise cancelling headphones)
On TT head FA may introduce themselves.

No one talks about those perks as people have their own headphones and someone introducing themselves is no biggie.
Old Apr 23, 2023, 3:09 pm

Programs: QFF
Yeah I read the article this morning. A lot of words for exactly what's stated in the AirNZ website and not worth the time to read it. If it was EP1 it'd be different..
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2023, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
[no comment]
ChasingDaylight likes this.

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Apr 23, 2023 at 3:23 pm
Old Apr 23, 2023, 3:37 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
Whoever wrote that an elite partner gets the same benefits as you - I wish. It is a glorified lounge membership pass for your elite partner as far as I am aware. The main perk that elites chase is APD upgrades, a great perk. And as far as I am aware, Elite Partners do not get access to any upgrades at all. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

I'll tell anyone what a hidden perk is: elite companion fares. It took me years in the program to figure out that I could buy companion fares, and then it took two phone calls to actually figure out how they work. If I had known about these, it could have saved me thousands of dollars over the years.
Old Apr 23, 2023, 3:46 pm

Aren’t Elite Partners treated like Elite in terms of uplift for things like OneUp?

As for EP1 benefits, I already posted about this on here in the past. I don’t think these benefits have changed post-Covid but could check.
Old Apr 23, 2023, 3:55 pm

congrats to whoever that was
Old Apr 23, 2023, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer
Whoever wrote that an elite partner gets the same benefits as you - I wish. It is a glorified lounge membership pass for your elite partner as far as I am aware. The main perk that elites chase is APD upgrades, a great perk. And as far as I am aware, Elite Partners do not get access to any upgrades at all. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

I'll tell anyone what a hidden perk is: elite companion fares. It took me years in the program to figure out that I could buy companion fares, and then it took two phone calls to actually figure out how they work. If I had known about these, it could have saved me thousands of dollars over the years.
Yeah Elite Partner is basically a Koru membership, no *A benefits, no perks like RUs. If gifted an RU or APD Upgrade not sure were they stack.

I thought the companion fares were available to Koru and Gold as well? Though require 2 R class as well so hard to come by.
Old Apr 23, 2023, 4:14 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
They might be available to everyone, I am unsure. But yes, they still take up the same space as an upgrade so it needs to be available.
Old Apr 23, 2023, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by nzkarit
Yeah Elite Partner is basically a Koru membership, no *A benefits, no perks like RUs. If gifted an RU or APD Upgrade not sure were they stack.

I thought the companion fares were available to Koru and Gold as well? Though require 2 R class as well so hard to come by.
My EP has no AirNZ status (well, Jade/member).

A gifted $AP RU Y->PE cleared when EF was showing E1U0O0A0. BP cabin was also very full.

That this actually cleared is suggestive that EP indeed counts as some form of status, as it is hard to believe that there were not any Silver/Gold with upgrades also lodged.
Old Apr 23, 2023, 5:35 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand Gold Elite
Slightly related / noob question: Do Elite APD upgrade requests outweigh Elite RU requests?
Old Apr 23, 2023, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PontiacBandit1848
Slightly related / noob question: Do Elite APD upgrade requests outweigh Elite RU requests?
No APD and RU are evaluated as if they are the same upgrade instrument. So APD vs RU doesn't make a difference. Status, Date of booking, etc are what factor into the upgrade order.
Old Apr 23, 2023, 6:49 pm

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
Funny article where they find out of the hidden perks of Elite that no one talks about.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/news/...dy-talks-about
Umm Elite Partner is only a free Koru membership.

And the other hidden perk:
Get the fancy headphones (how many people who fly and are Elite don't have their own noise cancelling headphones)
On TT head FA may introduce themselves.

No one talks about those perks as people have their own headphones and someone introducing themselves is no biggie.
yes I am an EP and agree it's really just Koru membership.

I was so tired on my last trip I had fallen asleep straight after takeoff, only to be woken up to be welcomed by the FSM and to be offered my 'headphones' - on most flights they are waiting on seat / pocket already.
Old Apr 23, 2023, 6:49 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite

The fact he thinks these are the real perks and yet ignores what are the actual real perks are pretty much sums up his knowledge of Air NZ.

As others have already said upgrades and companion fares are the key perks of being Elite.
SDB22 likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2023, 8:03 pm

Programs: NZ *E
They didn't mention the car rental and hotel upgrade vouchers! (Hah!)
Old Apr 23, 2023, 9:35 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
And now the target pointless followup.

https://i.stuff.co.nz/travel/news/30...-flyer-schemes

The fact is none of the answers to that poll are really appropriate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.