Wiki Posts
Search

earn rates when booking via Orbit

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2023, 3:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*GE, UA*G
earn rates when booking via Orbit

I'm making a business class booking via Orbit, which my new employer requires, but which I have not done in the past. I wondered what earn rate these tickets would have? Is it the same as booking directly with Air NZ or with a different travel agency that's not employer-sponsored? Just wondered, thanks, in case anyone else has to use Orbit for work travel.
Old Apr 18, 2023, 6:22 am

Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador
You will earn SP/APD normally. The only exception is if your employer has negotiated fares with Air NZ and they have reduced APD/SP earn for a better discount.
Old Apr 18, 2023, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LyingFlat
You will earn SP/APD normally. The only exception is if your employer has negotiated fares with Air NZ and they have reduced APD/SP earn for a better discount.
thanks, do you know if there is a way to check whether they've negotiated fares in this way? I'm not sure where I'd look (maybe different fare classes?)
Old Apr 18, 2023, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by smanch
thanks, do you know if there is a way to check whether they've negotiated fares in this way? I'm not sure where I'd look (maybe different fare classes?)
Your orgs travel policy?

And the estimated earn once flight booked.
Old Apr 18, 2023, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nzkarit
Your orgs travel policy?

And the estimated earn once flight booked.
Our travel policy just states that employees are entitled to earn personal rewards like APD but doesn't state how they're computed or whether they're different than commercially available fares. So maybe I'd just need to book and find out.
Old Apr 18, 2023, 2:37 pm

CTM lets me see the fare rules directly and I can see in there that we sometimes are receiving a special fare.
Old Apr 18, 2023, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
I would anticipate ‘special fares’ that are negotiated to result in fewer (or nil) Airpoint Dollar earn. SP earn probably unaffected.
Old Apr 18, 2023, 6:43 pm

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AS, AC, QF
I'm at an Orbit company too. We have our "Orbit Travel Portal" which has a link to our preferred airline partners. Look under Policy Info in the menu, then Staff Benefits

I'm making a business class booking via Orbit, which my new employer requires, but which I have not done in the past. I wondered what earn rate these tickets would have? Is it the same as booking directly with Air NZ or with a different travel agency that's not employer-sponsored? Just wondered, thanks, in case anyone else has to use Orbit for work travel.
Old Apr 21, 2023, 10:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jawnbc
I'm at an Orbit company too. We have our "Orbit Travel Portal" which has a link to our preferred airline partners. Look under Policy Info in the menu, then Staff Benefits
Thanks much, this gave the clearest info yet — our internal travel policy didn't specify whether frequent flier earn existed, or what it was, whereas this document in the Orbit portal at least says "Yes" under "Frequent Flier Accrual" for the two airlines involved in this booking. Thanks!
jawnbc likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2023, 11:42 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador
I think you’ll be fine on the earning front. From my past life working for a TMC the majority of travellers on negotiated fares earned full APD/SP. There were a few exceptions but they were few and far between.
Old Apr 21, 2023, 11:47 pm
Original Poster

I think you’ll be fine on the earning front. From my past life working for a TMC the majority of travellers on negotiated fares earned full APD/SP. There were a few exceptions but they were few and far between.
Cool, yea seems so. Post COVID we are more solidly based in NZ so I'm a tad concerned about losing NZ*GE (this coming year will be on a banked year for sure) so will keep an eye on it.
Old Apr 21, 2023, 11:56 pm

The All of Government contract is more than a few exceptions. They don't get APD.
Old Apr 21, 2023, 11:57 pm
Original Poster

I work for a university so hopefully OK!
jawnbc likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2023, 5:15 pm

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AS, AC, QF
As do I. And I earn the dollars and status points so you should be right!

I work for a university so hopefully OK!
Old Apr 22, 2023, 8:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jawnbc
As do I. And I earn the dollars and status points so you should be right!
hah, sweet as

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.