Search

RU on linked booking

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2023, 8:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ G
RU on linked booking

Hi FT

Apologies if this has been asked and answered - my searches of the forum didn't yield a result.

I am going to book a business seat for myself and an economy seat for the wife, then link the two bookings and apply for an RU for the wife. I am Elite - she is Gold. Will the RU be assessed as Elite and therefore clear automatically? Or will it only be assessed as a Gold RU? R class is available - have had confirmation from the call centre. The flights are just to Fiji so figured the chances of a successful RU are high but perhaps it's not worth the marital angst if the RU doesn't clear...

Thanks in advance.
AI
Old Apr 17, 2023, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by AucklandIrish
Hi FT

Apologies if this has been asked and answered - my searches of the forum didn't yield a result.

I am going to book a business seat for myself and an economy seat for the wife, then link the two bookings and apply for an RU for the wife. I am Elite - she is Gold. Will the RU be assessed as Elite and therefore clear automatically? Or will it only be assessed as a Gold RU? R class is available - have had confirmation from the call centre. The flights are just to Fiji so figured the chances of a successful RU are high but perhaps it's not worth the marital angst if the RU doesn't clear...

Thanks in advance.
AI
Why not book yourself in Y and apply the RU as that will process at time of lodgement?

When linked and same flight think it will be evaluated as Elite but not sure if that is at t-7 or extends to the t-355 option.

At the moment why would you assume chances are high of an RU clearer on a leisure route when people will pay own money and use their RUs.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 8:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nzkarit
Why not book yourself in Y and apply the RU as that will process at time of lodgement?

When linked and same flight think it will be evaluated as Elite but not sure if that is at t-7 or extends to the t-355 option.

At the moment why would you assume chances are high of an RU clearer on a leisure route when people will pay own money and use their RUs.
Thanks for the info. I need the Status Points earning in business to retain Elite for next year. This is my last flight before requal.

There is only a $300 difference between economy and business return so figured if people actually want to fly J they will just pay the difference. Perhaps that is what we should do too and just forgo the RUs.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
For what it is worth, the Mrs and I were booked AKL-SIN in PE last Dec, on separate PNRs as she returned later. Bookings were connected (TCP).

I lodged RUs PE-> for both of us, which didn’t clear at lodgement (presume high bookings). I am GE, she has no AirNZ status.

We cleared together in the lounge, so I presume as we were TCPed and travelling together, that our upgrades were considered as one at my GE level.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 10:32 pm

Is your wife also your elite partner?

I'm pretty certain that gifted RUs will not clear until at least T-7, gifted RUs are not subject to clearing if R class is available at booking, again not 100% but pretty sure. So in all likelihood you'd be waiting until ateast T-7 and will be assessed at Gold or Elite partner status

Edit: just saw someone post this indicating the RU will be assessed at Elite as you are travelling together, if not travelling together then would be at the giftees status

"An exclusive benefit available to Elite members is the ability to gift Recognition Upgrades or Elite Airpoints Dollar upgrades to other Airpoints members who are on your gifting register. When you gift an upgrade and are travelling with your giftee, the upgrade request will be considered at Elite tier status level for yourself and one travelling companion.....

Last edited by racekp; Apr 17, 2023 at 10:39 pm Reason: info added
Old Apr 17, 2023, 10:44 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Air NZ only allow mix and match fares online between the different S2S offerings (ie 1 pax seat only 1 pax the works) but the call centre can do a mix and match fare with a BP or PE and a economy S2S fare basis.

Yes they'll no doubt charge a booking fee but it will allow both people to be on the same PNR and for the upgrade to clear immediately assuming she is your elite partner.
Old Apr 18, 2023, 1:24 am

Originally Posted by sbiddle
Air NZ only allow mix and match fares online between the different S2S offerings (ie 1 pax seat only 1 pax the works) but the call centre can do a mix and match fare with a BP or PE and a economy S2S fare basis.

Yes they'll no doubt charge a booking fee but it will allow both people to be on the same PNR and for the upgrade to clear immediately assuming she is your elite partner.
Ridiculous to think that they still charge for things that are impossible online. You’re effectively paying for the privilege of waiting on hold for hours.
Old Apr 18, 2023, 1:41 am

Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador

I don’t think this is entirely accurate. My grandparents frequently fly AKL-SYD-AKL with one Seat Only and the other Seat+Bag. They only book online and not via the call centre.
Old Apr 18, 2023, 1:48 am

Originally Posted by LyingFlat
I don’t think this is entirely accurate. My grandparents frequently fly AKL-SYD-AKL with one Seat Only and the other Seat+Bag. They only book online and not via the call centre.
That is what is says can mix S2S but not different classes.
codyc1515 likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2023, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just tried a dummy booking and it is not (now) possible to do online. Can mix S2S product as noted above, but can't have S2S with PE/J
Old Apr 18, 2023, 4:40 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
I mean you can only mix and match S2S offerings - to mix and match S2S with a premium cabin you need to call.
Old Apr 18, 2023, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

My wife is not my elite partner - she is just gold. Does that impact on immediate clearing if she is on the same PNR as me?
Old Apr 18, 2023, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AucklandIrish
My wife is not my elite partner - she is just gold. Does that impact on immediate clearing if she is on the same PNR as me?
No.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.