Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Question for Elite members based overseas?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2023, 8:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air NZ (*GE), ALL Accor (Diamond)

Afternoon (Kiwi time) all,

Have done some significant paid flying last year, including multiple long-haul trips in SQ F.

For those of you based overseas, how do you find it maintaining Gold or GE, not in NZ? More to the point: have you found it more productive linking to a new program.

My wife and I are moving to London so any / all insight(s) would be appreciated!

Cam
Old Apr 2, 2023, 8:43 pm

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
Originally Posted by airbourne_kiwi
Afternoon (Kiwi time) all,

Have done some significant paid flying last year, including multiple long-haul trips in SQ F.

For those of you based overseas, how do you find it maintaining Gold or GE, not in NZ? More to the point: have you found it more productive linking to a new program.

My wife and I are moving to London so any / all insight(s) would be appreciated!

Cam
You need to fly Air NZ Metal to retail Elite - so unless you plan on flying back to NZ a few times in the pointy end I reckon you're better off with another program - whether that is *A ow OW is debatable also.
airbourne_kiwi likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2023, 8:43 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
If you don't live in New Zealand and don't fly with NZ often, crediting flights to NZ would be such a waste. There are many *A programmes that offer much better earn/burn ratio and much better award availibility. NZ's award availibility is close to zero. In the past, many savvy *A travellers have been using A3 or AV. One of the most populous progammes at the moment is AC. I have been crediting my family's flights to AC lately and what their award booking engine can do is quite eye-opening.

If you based in Australia, the HSBC co-branded credit card can get you *G status without flying.
airbourne_kiwi and lsquare like this.
Old Apr 2, 2023, 8:54 pm

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
I'm based in the US these days out of a DL hub so the only thing I credit to NZ now are UA flights if DL isn't convenient or very expensive for a particular domestic flight. This year will likely be my last year I'll earn Elite but it was worth the push this year to do it as I had some extra NZ long-haul flights I wasn't expecting + the 270 SP bonus metal earn support from Air NZ. It means I'll have NZ*G status for basically another 2 years for use with UA and AC. It is a tough call though as normally I fly paid Y or PE and then use the RU's to upgrade to J with mostly good success, so goodby to that. Once DL starts their LAX-AKL non-stop I'll fly that as it'll make sense to.

Personally I haven't looked at who I'm going to credit *A flights to once I retain Elite for the last time. So also interested to see how this thread goes. AC has really good earn/burn rates as Xiaotung has mentioned and some sweet spots for redemptions which are pretty rare on UA these days. ANA is also really good for earn/burn rates if it makes sense to credit there.
Old Apr 2, 2023, 9:22 pm
Original Poster

Hi guys, some really great answers here, thank you.

I’m probably being a little too conservative in my approach, that’s for sure. I can see plenty of programs out there that offer viable alternatives, but can’t make a decision on which I should focus my attention.

Since I’m moving to London, I was thinking BA. However, I fly Singapore a lot, so they offered a direct status swap to Gold if I complete a paid trip in First (which we were going to do, anyway).

Then, there’s Turkish or another major European Airline. Too many options. Am I just being a helpless loyalist??
Old Apr 2, 2023, 9:30 pm

Since you will be based in the UK = BA.

I would aim for lifetime One World Emerald with BA which should not be difficult since you fly First.
​​​​​​
Then consider what you value while flying . If you value:
- Inflight dining, my pick - SQ, in any class

- fine wine with significant bottle age, definitely EK

- lounges, just avoid Star Alliance completely, there's no tier above Gold so you would not have reciprocal premium lounge access with alliance partners and some airlines in *A have none.

Either way, get your status match for your first flight, you could always reconsider.
Old Apr 2, 2023, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I’m probably being a little too conservative in my approach, that’s for sure. I can see plenty of programs out there that offer viable alternatives, but can’t make a decision on which I should focus my attention.

Since I’m moving to London, I was thinking BA. However, I fly Singapore a lot, so they offered a direct status swap to Gold if I complete a paid trip in First (which we were going to do, anyway).

Then, there’s Turkish or another major European Airline. Too many options. Am I just being a helpless loyalist??
How long in UK for? A few months/years or for ever?
The Air NZ ffp is a very poor ffp compared to others in the big wide world of airline travel.
Objectives from a ffp?
Old Apr 2, 2023, 9:35 pm

being outside of NZ, you will have access to more credit card programmes where you can transfer points to your preferred airline ffp.
Old Apr 2, 2023, 9:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by poopbunny
Since you will be based in the UK = BA.

I would aim for lifetime One World Emerald with BA which should not be difficult since you fly First.
​​​​​​
Then consider what you value while flying . If you value:
- Inflight dining, my pick - SQ, in any class

- fine wine with significant bottle age, definitely EK

- lounges, just avoid Star Alliance completely, there's no tier above Gold so you would not have reciprocal premium lounge access with alliance partners and some airlines in *A have none.

Either way, get your status match for your first flight, you could always reconsider.
these were my thoughts, thank you. I’ve never flown a OW or non-Star Alliance airline. We were considering EK F (I realise it’s not in a major alliance) AKL-DXB-LHR or QR F SYD-DOH-LHR.

Having been loyal to ANZ for so long, I have no idea what awaits me!
Old Apr 2, 2023, 9:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
How long in UK for? A few months/years or for ever?
The Air NZ ffp is a very poor ffp compared to others in the big wide world of airline travel.
Objectives from a ffp?
thank you! We are relocating for at least the next three years. I understand the workings of other airlines, particularly LH and SQ, but alliances are another story.

my main goals from my current program: recognition upgrades, perks (parking/hotels etc)., and lastly - lounge access. This doesn’t worry me so much on International as we fly premium cabins, but it’s important to me Domestically.

I guess the next big Q: Do I go OW for example, fly F in my airline of choice. Credit those points to BA and then, which credit card to choose, to help compliment my planned travel.
Old Apr 2, 2023, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
This thread seems to be veering away from Airpoints to a more general discussion on what is the best FF program for a UK based flyer.
Mods might consider moving this thread to a more appropriate discusison elsewhere?
Old Apr 2, 2023, 9:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
This thread seems to be veering away from Airpoints to a more general discussion on what is the best FF program for a UK based flyer.
Mods might consider moving this thread to a more appropriate discusison elsewhere?
Thanks TK, good observation
Old Apr 3, 2023, 2:55 am

Programs: Air NZ *E

Did they offer you a status swap with you being at gold on Air NZ, or elite?
Old Apr 3, 2023, 2:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 0100
Did they offer you a status swap with you being at gold on Air NZ, or elite?
hello

Elite, the primary criteria was previous travel history on SQ metal. Once I complete the suites journeys we have planned this year, I should get PRETTY close to PPS
0100 likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2023, 6:15 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
My POV as a Western Canada Airpoints member, is the ONLY reason to accrue to NZ is to attain GE and have easier access to upgrades, whether RU's or APDs.
The only way I can earn SP or AP is BIS with NZ or an airline partner.
My anecdotal success rate for upgrades clearing is 75%. This includes many wives, children, nominees.

With regard to customer service when things turn to custard, the app, the website, call centre, I rate NZ with an F.
All are antiquated and/or abysmal.

My comparison is Air Canada where I am an E50 (rough equivalent of Gold with NZ), where phone is answered within a minute, changes made with zero service fees.
AC's app and website show so many more options than NZ's for the same journey, as does UA. It is easier to book ex NA flights on NZ metal using AC.com or UA.com, that is unfortunate.

If I were you being UK based, the ability to buy C/J or F on much better carriers whose business class does not resemble a herringbone milking parlour filled with coffins, I would accrue to SQ or BA to enjoy an awesome customer experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.