Wiki Posts
Search

Airfares

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2023, 12:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Silver A3 Gold Qantas Gold Accor Platinum
Airfares

Now is it just my imagination but have airfares from New Zealand to beyond Australia have just exploded in price. It now seems that $3000k return is now the floor if you can find it for return to Europe and that is with any carrier. 6 months ago it was possible without to much difficulty to find a return to Europe for $1800 return, I know this as I booked a trip latter this year at this price point. Any premium cabin option seems to need a mortgage on the house now. Again I booked a premium cabin return to Europe last year for a return trip to Europe latter this year (different time frame to the first) the price difference for the same dates is eye watering. I guess my point is costs surely for airlines have not gone up comparatively. So is this being driven by lack of capacity exacerbated by a diminished reputation of New Zealand or simply airlines fleecing it.
Old Mar 31, 2023, 12:58 am

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
Originally Posted by ClanJ
Now is it just my imagination but have airfares from New Zealand to beyond Australia have just exploded in price. It now seems that $3000k return is now the floor if you can find it for return to Europe and that is with any carrier. 6 months ago it was possible without to much difficulty to find a return to Europe for $1800 return, I know this as I booked a trip latter this year at this price point. Any premium cabin option seems to need a mortgage on the house now. Again I booked a premium cabin return to Europe last year for a return trip to Europe latter this year (different time frame to the first) the price difference for the same dates is eye watering. I guess my point is costs surely for airlines have not gone up comparatively. So is this being driven by lack of capacity exacerbated by a diminished reputation of New Zealand or simply airlines fleecing it.
You should see the Singapore Air fares!
Old Mar 31, 2023, 1:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Looking at $3k each in Y for 5 pax on our Summer break WLG-SGN//BKK-WLG ! I'll never be able to retire.......

Last year booked 2x WLG-SIN-BKK in PE for $3k each over the same period, AND managed 2x RU on sector AKL-SIN.
Old Mar 31, 2023, 2:49 am

Programs: Air NZ *G,
Just booked business class to Europe on ANA , from Sydney for 5.5k return, just added on AKL to Sydney and it was much cheaper than anything Ex Akl - this is for June 23. Guess you need to look t find the great airfares .

l
Thai-Kiwi and kindagot like this.
Old Mar 31, 2023, 3:16 am

Supply < Demand - lots of people have been saving for their big annual trip throughout Covid so will be this way for the next year at least surely.
Old Mar 31, 2023, 3:29 am

Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador
I did a booking recently for one of my clients on CX in Business and it was around $9K return. A fairly good deal considering how high airfares have been recently!
Old Mar 31, 2023, 4:19 am

Programs: some
I never technically fly ex-AKL. All my tickets originate from cheap overseas points.
Old Mar 31, 2023, 5:33 am
THR

Originally Posted by Mikeynz
Just booked business class to Europe on ANA , from Sydney for 5.5k return, just added on AKL to Sydney and it was much cheaper than anything Ex Akl - this is for June 23. Guess you need to look t find the great airfares .

l
What? How did you get Sydney to Europe for $5k in June? Cheapest I can see is $12.5k.
Old Mar 31, 2023, 7:01 am

Programs: NZ*E, UA*1K, QF Plat
I realise my situation is not same as I originate in Europe.
But today I am booking return from Italy to NZ in late June, early July, in business class, for NZ$5,000 all in. EU - SIN - AKL on the way down and NZ metal direct to ORD then on to the EU on the way back.
To get this fare does take flexibility and a decent amount of searching of combinations.

Last edited by WLGNZ; Mar 31, 2023 at 7:13 am
Old Mar 31, 2023, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by WLGNZ
But today I am booking return from Italy to NZ in late June, early July, in business class, for NZ$5,000 all in. EU - SIN - AKL on the way down and NZ metal direct to ORD then on to the EU on the way back.
To get this fare does take flexibility and a decent amount of searching of combinations.
Can’t help but wonder if AirNZ makes those sectors available at a loss to partners inbound to New Zealand, and then recovers $$$ by charging exorbitant rates outbound from New Zealand.
Old Mar 31, 2023, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Can’t help but wonder if AirNZ makes those sectors available at a loss to partners inbound to New Zealand, and then recovers $$$ by charging exorbitant rates outbound from New Zealand.
A lot of airlines will charge less if start journey outside of hub or country. E.g. People in UK who fly to Europe to start journey that has a transit via LHR
Old Mar 31, 2023, 2:37 pm
THR

Originally Posted by WLGNZ
Not unusual to see fares from Europe to NZ and AU like that. Unfortunately fares from NZ and AU are always a lot higher.
Old Mar 31, 2023, 2:57 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
With such high air fares I am actually choosing to not fly Air NZ, preferring a flight where I know I will get the seat I want, the lounge experience, better FFP rewards (Qf had a double points offer last week). As I can transfer in SYD/BNE or MEL equally easily as AKL, so the stopover experience is part of the trip. And all bookings were $000s cheaper than the NZ option. I don't need the status points and have plenty airpoints.
Three long haul business class bookings amounting to $35,000 is not heading NZ's way as a result of their dated product and greed.
I've two more long haul trips in the pipeline and they will not be steering NZ's way. It's a shame as I like their people, but their product is rapidly dated, the AKL experience shows indifference and their prcing must make them profitable - good luck if they are getting these fares.
Old Mar 31, 2023, 3:09 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
I'm not going to defend NZ's BP hard product because we all know the faults with it but I don't get the fact that so many people bash it and seem to think it's the worst product in the skies when major airlines like Emirates fly over 100 77W's with a business seat and cabin that's vastly inferior and doesn't even have direct aisle access.
Old Mar 31, 2023, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by CHCflyer
With such high air fares I am actually choosing to not fly Air NZ, preferring a flight where I know I will get the seat I want, the lounge experience, better FFP rewards (Qf had a double points offer last week). As I can transfer in SYD/BNE or MEL equally easily as AKL, so the stopover experience is part of the trip. And all bookings were $000s cheaper than the NZ option. I don't need the status points and have plenty airpoints.
Three long haul business class bookings amounting to $35,000 is not heading NZ's way as a result of their dated product and greed.
I've two more long haul trips in the pipeline and they will not be steering NZ's way. It's a shame as I like their people, but their product is rapidly dated, the AKL experience shows indifference and their prcing must make them profitable - good luck if they are getting these fares.
I agree with your sentiments.

Flying Business Class cabins is something to look forward to, but as soon as I step inside any NZ aircraft (except 787 A aisle) I get the "dormitory" feel when pax face each other. At least in PE/Y you are looking at the screen in front. Yes, you are likely to have a neighbour, but they are looking in the same direction. I prefer looking at the window than away from it as in the NZ herringbone.

Like you, I appreciate the cabin crew are mostly great. A small consolation, those annoying LED lights from those seated across that seemed to be aimed at your eye are now off by default.

I place great value on inflight F&B. Sadly, the BP meals range from terrible to average. The last BP meal I enjoyed was about 10 years ago. Even a colleague who rarely flies, with no points of reference expected a better quality meal for the class. Those showcase wines that made a brief appearance some years ago are now nowhere to be seen and wines are just average. A properly cooked $15 eye fillet could see me spend $20,000+ more but that seems to be too hard for NZ but not for other carriers.

​​​​​​What NZ charges is close to what some carriers would charge for First Class, with a hard and soft product many leagues above NZ. They seem to bench themselves against North American carriers which is not high.

Like you, I walk away from a QF or OW flight, happy that I spent less to get more Status Points on a programme with a lower qualification and requal threshold, with an alliance that has a tier above Gold. Why worry about the Silver Kris buffet Lounge Dragons at SIN when you can sample all 3 types of champagne at QF First Lounge and at many departure points, restaurant grade a la carte dining, even when flying in Y. Like you say, the SYD, MEL stopover are a destination in itself.

I guess being NZ*E and OWE we experience multiple carriers across many alliances to be able to make informed choices. Many here only fly *A or have never been to a First or good OW premium lounge to know any better.

I'm still happy to hold on to my lot of NZX AIR stock for now as I will never underestimate the Stockholm Syndrome strength NZ seem to have over its customers. On the plus side for many others, my flying with other carriers will improve the chances of upgrade for many other hopefuls.
WLGNZ and 0100 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.