Wiki Posts
Search

Regional air fares

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2023, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Regional air fares

I am booking a bunch of regional fares and am finding that the base fare is now at least $124 to $164 one way. I am fairly flexible but even off peak, if such a thing exists, is expensive. As I am booking for five months out, these fares are now double what I was comfortable paying.
I cannot remember when I last paid a double digit fare.
I do sense I an being gouged now.
Old Feb 25, 2023, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by CHCflyer
I am booking a bunch of regional fares and am finding that the base fare is now at least $124 to $164 one way. I am fairly flexible but even off peak, if such a thing exists, is expensive. As I am booking for five months out, these fares are now double what I was comfortable paying.
I cannot remember when I last paid a double digit fare.
I do sense I an being gouged now.
How far out did you look? With high demand domestically, those that can will need to book even earlier than previously the case.

What we don’t know is the whether AirNZ are deliberately limiting the cheaper fare classes (F, P, K, X) compared to pre-covid times in an effort to increase the ‘average fare paid’ or similar metric.
Old Feb 25, 2023, 9:48 pm

Depends on the route I guess. Had a look at some ex WLG (non stops) to regional in September and seeing $59, $69, $79, $91, $92, etc.

They say that they still release the same number of cheaper fares. Though talking to people there seems to be a general trend to booking earlier and planning things further ahead. So I think there is a trend booking earlier so the cheap fares go sooner so more people book earlier.
Old Feb 25, 2023, 9:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
How far out did you look? With high demand domestically, those that can will need to book even earlier than previously the case.

What we don’t know is the whether AirNZ are deliberately limiting the cheaper fare classes (F, P, K, X) compared to pre-covid times in an effort to increase the ‘average fare paid’ or similar metric.
Booked CHC fares for July. I sense they are now gouging you for booking early and late, with them then releasing cheaper stuff as and when to fill up the mid-term bookings.. I do know that the CHC routes on the props are overperforming and the WLG routes are underperforming.
But I am paying around $300 return for a trip five months out.
Old Feb 25, 2023, 10:00 pm

Same with even the trunk routes, I was looking at WLG/AKL/WLG for August and return fares for most weekends are well over $300 return for a seat-only fare.

Pre-Covid I hardly ever paid more than $150 return for a weekend in AKL (generally booking 2-3 months out and of course excluding public/school holiday periods).
Old Feb 25, 2023, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by Nightowl888
Same with even the trunk routes, I was looking at WLG/AKL/WLG for August and return fares for most weekends are well over $300 return for a seat-only fare.

Pre-Covid I hardly ever paid more than $150 return for a weekend in AKL (generally booking 2-3 months out and of course excluding public/school holiday periods).
Is it also more than just flights, have noticed hotels are fuller. Seeing the note which says only getting the booking because of status more often recently. Knew it was a perk but never saw it previously.

Room upgrades happening less. Getting turned down for early and late check-ins more often than not.
Old Feb 25, 2023, 11:45 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand
Bearing in mind JetA1 is over twice the price it was pre Covid. That is going to have some impact on Airfares. Especially Regional, with smaller capacity aircraft...
Old Mar 1, 2023, 3:45 pm

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nzkarit
Is it also more than just flights, have noticed hotels are fuller. Seeing the note which says only getting the booking because of status more often recently. Knew it was a perk but never saw it previously.

Room upgrades happening less. Getting turned down for early and late check-ins more often than not.
The airlines and hotels have had it pretty tough for the last two to three years.
These prices are just recovering the earlier loses.
Old Mar 1, 2023, 6:19 pm

They may be trying to recover the last two years but will they drop prices back down?
Beano likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2023, 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by Notagain
They may be trying to recover the last two years but will they drop prices back down?
If supply is restricted then no. (But a high price invites competition)
If supply is increased then yes.
Just like produce , radio advertising, tv advertising etc the seats are a perishable product if there are spare seats then the best to to sell them.
Old Mar 1, 2023, 11:02 pm

If seats are perishable why are last minute fares so high?
Old Mar 1, 2023, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
If some really needs a cucumber, and it remains edible, then they’ll pay $10 for it….
Old Mar 2, 2023, 12:07 am

I would say the "airline computer" have worked out the pricing to get the highest revenue.
If it means last minute flights are then the highest price then that is what will be charged.
Old Mar 2, 2023, 2:20 pm

It would make sense to sell a last minute seat for $1 in a vacuum but that might encourage consumer behaviour that loses revenue in the future.
Old Mar 2, 2023, 3:24 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Well they do sell last minute fares cheaply - I think $169 is pretty reasonable.

The issue at the moment is simply buying one because a) so many flights are full and b) getting hold of them on the phone!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.