Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Inaccessible fare flexibility/rerouting during disruption...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Inaccessible fare flexibility/rerouting during disruption...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2023, 10:22 pm

Programs: BA GGL/ VS Gold. Former: UA 1K (10 years+) , EY partners Plat, SQ PPS Club, SU Gold, LH SEN/HON
It's funny how reactions are across the board. I was just talking to my travel coordinator for my travel management company and they were delighted that Air NZ went out of their way to protect me in that instance and agreed with my approach and the outcome. I could have called them but it was easier to solve on the ground - and I'm glad I was able to.

My ticket was well over 8 grand US / 12 grand kiwi and I had to be at my next destination by certain time to make my briefing. The delay was Air NZ caused.
Air NZ did the right thing by off loading the aussie backpacker who bought a cheap fare - I took over that seat.

The current Air NZ CEO used to work for Wallmart. Im sure he understands, its a business not a charity.
Old Jan 31, 2023, 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by OpenSky
It's funny how reactions are across the board. I was just talking to my travel coordinator for my travel management company and they were delighted that Air NZ went out of their way to protect me in that instance and agreed with my approach and the outcome. I could have called them but it was easier to solve on the ground - and I'm glad I was able to.

My ticket was well over 8 grand US / 12 grand kiwi and I had to be at my next destination by certain time to make my briefing. The delay was Air NZ caused.
Air NZ did the right thing by off loading the aussie backpacker who bought a cheap fare - I took over that seat.

The current Air NZ CEO used to work for Wallmart. Im sure he understands, its a business not a charity.
A airline should never offload a pax off a flight they are booked in, because some arrogant DYKWIA person kicks up a ruckus at the desk.

If anything the the person demanding other people who were already on the flight get offloaded should be the one getting offloaded.

If something was that important should travel with buffer.

E.g. fly up to AKL on the second to last flight the night before instead on relying on the 6am flight to get the international connection out of AKL.

Similarly for the evening departures booked the connection that has two later flights as a safety net.

A normal person would feel terrible that an Aussie backpacker got offloaded because of your poor planning, time management and not booking flights that had a plan B and C to make your important appointments.
WLGNZ, KiwiSurfer, yotty and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 31, 2023, 11:26 pm

Great caring from Opensky, just the attitude we really can do without in NZ!
WLGNZ and KiwiSurfer like this.
Old Jan 31, 2023, 11:43 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Unless it is crew travel to operate a service requiring urgent seats this should simply never happen.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 2:05 pm

Programs: NZ Elite *G, QF Gold, Accor+ Diamond
My ticket was well over 8 grand US / 12 grand kiwi.
Yeah, we know. You've been going on about it for months. It's almost like a cheaper fare wouldn't have satisfied your requirements because it wouldn't come with the same bragging rights.
KiwiSurfer, jeffrocowboy and yotty like this.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 2:44 pm

One would suspect a travel coordinator was delighted at Air NZ protecting you because it saved them some work. As for agreeing with your approach, it's probably more a case of "the customer is always right".

I would suggest you fly private next time, given your important work and time frames.
trooper and KiwiSurfer like this.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 2:59 pm

Programs: NZ*E, QF-G, EK-P
\

Wow. Seriously. Ive recently paid $15K return to the US in J and I wouldnt think to do this.
Im important too. Often I have many dozens of people waiting on my arrival to do specific things, deliver briefings or to chair meetings and I HAVE TO BE ON TIME as well. I have worked with governments and big companies. But I plan my travel to allow for disruptions and I would never ever do this. It is a fact of life with international travel. More so post-COVID and it is slowly getting better.
If your time is so valuable fly private. I have flown my single private LH flight for the experience and to say I have, but it is truely for people whose time is much more valuable than mine (or they have more money than sense), and its impact on the environment is awful (plus my wife wont let me as she says it is unconscionable - sorry another conversation not for this thread!!)
Gosh. Quite an amazing world view. But when we look at the world around us it probably isnt surprising.
KiwiSurfer and LyingFlat like this.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 4:15 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by bce1
Wow. Seriously. Ive recently paid $15K return to the US in J and I wouldnt think to do this.
Im important too. Often I have many dozens of people waiting on my arrival to do specific things, deliver briefings or to chair meetings and I HAVE TO BE ON TIME as well. I have worked with governments and big companies. But I plan my travel to allow for disruptions and I would never ever do this. It is a fact of life with international travel. More so post-COVID and it is slowly getting better.
If your time is so valuable fly private. I have flown my single private LH flight for the experience and to say I have, but it is truely for people whose time is much more valuable than mine (or they have more money than sense), and its impact on the environment is awful (plus my wife wont let me as she says it is unconscionable - sorry another conversation not for this thread!!)
Gosh. Quite an amazing world view. But when we look at the world around us it probably isnt surprising.
Totally agree.

I know someone who once spent $250K on flights for a single month long business trip (all one way fully flex J/F fares). He would never do such a thing…
trooper likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 6:05 pm

OR.. the Mum of 3 trying to get back home after visiting her sick grandfather... OR the person who saved up for months to afford the cheapest fare to get somewhere they HAD TO BE... ..

But hey, keep on saying "aussie backpacker" if it helps your conscience. (what there is of it) .. "You do you".
KiwiSurfer, jeffrocowboy and yotty like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.