Search

Long hold when calling

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2022 | 3:16 pm
Original Poster
20 Countries Visited15 Years on Site

Programs: UA, AA, Hilton and regular member of everything else
Long hold when calling

I bought a global flexifare PE ticket (AKL-ORD) and I need to cancel my flight. I should be able to get a full refund. However, I can't cancel online - under manage booking, it says to call their 800 number. When calling (the US number), they say there will be at least a 4 hour wait. I can't sit next to the phone for 4 hours. Is there a better time to call? Seems like Monday AM NZ time should be a less busy time, but clearly that's not the case. Is there another number? Would I have a better chance if I call the NZ 800 number?
Old Dec 4, 2022 | 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
50 Countries Visited1M15 Years on Site

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by mlbcard
I bought a global flexifare PE ticket (AKL-ORD) and I need to cancel my flight. I should be able to get a full refund. However, I can't cancel online - under manage booking, it says to call their 800 number. When calling (the US number), they say there will be at least a 4 hour wait. I can't sit next to the phone for 4 hours. Is there a better time to call? Seems like Monday AM NZ time should be a less busy time, but clearly that's not the case. Is there another number? Would I have a better chance if I call the NZ 800 number?
Try calling when it is 0100-0500 in New Zealand. I have no idea if you can do that by calling the NZ 0800 number, you might have to call the regular number. There have been long periods on hold here in NZ as well. None of like holding for hours, but you might just have to do that - many here have had to do so.
Old Dec 4, 2022 | 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Try calling when it is 0100-0500 in New Zealand. I have no idea if you can do that by calling the NZ 0800 number, you might have to call the regular number. There have been long periods on hold here in NZ as well. None of like holding for hours, but you might just have to do that - many here have had to do so.
Thanks. I'll try early AM tomorrow. Unfortunate that I can't just do it online.
Old Dec 4, 2022 | 3:42 pm
10 Years on Site

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
You won't be able to call a NZ 0800 number from outside a NZ network - you'll need to use a NZ VoIP provider.
Old Dec 4, 2022 | 3:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbiddle
You won't be able to call a NZ 0800 number from outside a NZ network - you'll need to use a NZ VoIP provider.
Right. I was thinking the +64 (0)9 357 3000 number
Old Dec 4, 2022 | 10:05 pm
Original Poster

Tried again a short while ago and even though the recording said wait times are greater than 4 hours, I only had to wait 30 minutes. Either they didn't update their wait times or they want people to not bother calling and find some other way to deal with their issues. Agent seemed local to NZ, very nice and efficient (way better than most US airline agents). Looking forward to flying Air New Zealand for the first time in a few weeks.
Thai-Kiwi likes this.

Last edited by mlbcard; Dec 4, 2022 at 10:26 pm Reason: Grammar
Old Dec 15, 2022 | 2:58 am

I’ve waited 35 minutes for my call to be answered at nearly 11 PM at night as a Silver member. The Covid excuse is totally piss poor at time point, especially so when they’ve paused recruitment until next year and are paying circa $41k for contact centre roles that are not WFH, in Auckland - one of the most expensive places in the world to live in. In a cost of living crisis, how on earth do you expect to attract and - more importantly - retain talent at that wage?
Ellice likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2022 | 3:20 am
10 Years on Site

Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by codyc1515
Ive waited 35 minutes for my call to be answered at nearly 11 PM at night as a Silver member. The Covid excuse is totally piss poor at time point, especially so when theyve paused recruitment until next year and are paying circa $41k for contact centre roles that are not WFH, in Auckland - one of the most expensive places in the world to live in. In a cost of living crisis, how on earth do you expect to attract and - more importantly - retain talent at that wage?
Most CC staff are well into the $50K+ as a base salary. Add to that quarterly bonuses & penal rates (1.5X on weekends/2X on public holidays/generous OT rates/meal allowances/overnight rates) then a lot of them are earning quite a decent wage. Some of the graveyard shift probably earn close to $100K.
Old Dec 15, 2022 | 3:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
50 Countries Visited1M15 Years on Site

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by codyc1515
Ive waited 35 minutes for my call to be answered at nearly 11 PM at night as a Silver member. The Covid excuse is totally piss poor at time point, especially so when theyve paused recruitment until next year and are paying circa $41k for contact centre roles that are not WFH, in Auckland - one of the most expensive places in the world to live in. In a cost of living crisis, how on earth do you expect to attract and - more importantly - retain talent at that wage?
Sadly, Silver membership is nigh on worthless. Longest wait I have had is nearly 4 hours as a Gold. Been better since hitting Gold Elite last month, now just 10-30 mins waiting usually.
Old Dec 15, 2022 | 4:27 pm
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited5 Years on Site

Programs: Air NZ Elite (*G)
I've been lucky to have had call back usually within an hour or so and liking the text confirmation that follows after the call back is placed.
Old Dec 20, 2022 | 7:28 pm
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited15 Years on Site

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
Silver (Elite Partner - but don't think that gives any benefits in the calling queue)

Recent wait times
1) 45 minutes - call back (but could not take the call) [mid morning]
2) 2 hours - but I missed the call being answered by AirNZ (I was multitasking) [early evening]
3) 2 hours - call successfully answered (and efficiently dealt with) [9:30am]
Old Jan 16, 2023 | 1:18 am
10 Years on Site

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
I rang this morning.. At 1hr45 the call dropped.

Called back just before 1pm and got an immediate callback option so. used that. Callback unfortunately came at 4pm right while I was at the dentist for 15 mins so I missed it.

Called back when I got home at 5pm and the IVR announced an expected wait time of over 6 hours. Yeah nah.
jawnbc likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2023 | 2:02 am

Programs: AirNZ NZ*E
Originally Posted by sbiddle
I rang this morning.. At 1hr45 the call dropped.

Called back just before 1pm and got an immediate callback option so. used that. Callback unfortunately came at 4pm right while I was at the dentist for 15 mins so I missed it.

Called back when I got home at 5pm and the IVR announced an expected wait time of over 6 hours. Yeah nah.
Confirmed - no word of a lie here. Rung them today also just now at 2200 NZST and the IVR announced a 6 hour wait time, didn't even get the option to select a 6 hours later 4am wake up callback.
Old Jan 16, 2023 | 10:57 am
15 Years on Site

Programs: NZ *E
I think the best bet right now is to book via a travel agent rather than direct with NZ.
(Since the self service options on the AirNZ website seem so limited)
Old Jan 16, 2023 | 2:48 pm
10 Years on Site

Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by samjnz
I think the best bet right now is to book via a travel agent rather than direct with NZ.
(Since the self service options on the AirNZ website seem so limited)
Travel brokers are the way to go. Very personal service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.