Wiki Posts
Search

Baggage issues

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2022, 7:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AIRNZ *GE, Qantas, Krisflyer
Baggage issues

Hi, does anyone have any advice or contacts, we arrived back from LA this morning, and received all our bags off the flight to clear customs, then Put them through bag drop in international to transfer to our Wellington flight. 3 of our 4 bags made it to Wellington but according to my AirTag tracking one is still sitting at AKL international. We have filed a missing bag report but no one seems very confident we will get our bag, has some important things in it incl prescription medicine. Can anyone offer some advice or potential contacts to help us get our bag back? Thanks
Old Nov 25, 2022, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by iluvflying
Hi, does anyone have any advice or contacts, we arrived back from LA this morning, and received all our bags off the flight to clear customs, then Put them through bag drop in international to transfer to our Wellington flight. 3 of our 4 bags made it to Wellington but according to my AirTag tracking one is still sitting at AKL international. We have filed a missing bag report but no one seems very confident we will get our bag, has some important things in it incl prescription medicine. Can anyone offer some advice or potential contacts to help us get our bag back? Thanks
Did you keep the Boarding Pass(es) with the 4 small baggage bar codes and show them to AirNZ staff at WLG? These are the small bar codes on the tip of the baggage tag and usually just stuck to the back of one Boarding Pass.

Although annoying, the misplaced bags usually are located quickly and arrive within 24 hours at home..
trooper likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2022, 10:44 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand Elite
A bag of our son’s didn’t arrive from his flight from Sydney this month. We were told by Auckland baggage services that they would deliver it the next day. I could see that it arrived at Auckland airport that evening. The next day the bag didn’t arrive at our place but we could see from the AirTag it was sitting at Auckland airport.

We went around to the baggage services office to ask for the bag and the person there said it could take several days to process and deliver to us and that they had 300 bags to process. I pulled out my iPhone to show them it was there and the attendent took my iPhone and walked around until he found my son’s bag. My son was very happy to not have to wait several days for his bag. I’m very impressed with the AirTags concept and will be using them in future.
codyc1515 and Purplelab like this.
Old Nov 26, 2022, 12:36 am
Original Poster

Yes did this and they logged a report but weren’t particularly convincing I would have the back anytime soon if at all
Old Nov 26, 2022, 12:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ellice
A bag of our son’s didn’t arrive from his flight from Sydney this month. We were told by Auckland baggage services that they would deliver it the next day. I could see that it arrived at Auckland airport that evening. The next day the bag didn’t arrive at our place but we could see from the AirTag it was sitting at Auckland airport.

We went around to the baggage services office to ask for the bag and the person there said it could take several days to process and deliver to us and that they had 300 bags to process. I pulled out my iPhone to show them it was there and the attendent took my iPhone and walked around until he found my son’s bag. My son was very happy to not have to wait several days for his bag. I’m very impressed with the AirTags concept and will be using them in future.
I wish I could do this but in Wellington, guess I will just be a pain in the arse on phone and email
Old Nov 26, 2022, 7:54 am

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriot (via SPG) Lifetime Gold
Sorry about the missing bag...but can I take from this post that either the AirTag ban by NZ isn't a think anymore? How does NZ staff react when you tell them you can see the bag with your AirTag?
Old Nov 26, 2022, 1:00 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by mtimmer
Sorry about the missing bag...but can I take from this post that either the AirTag ban by NZ isn't a think anymore? How does NZ staff react when you tell them you can see the bag with your AirTag?
I don't think Air NZ were ever serious about wanting to stop people using Airtag style BLE trackers.

If they were they'd have a well worded policy that makes specific references rather than some random text that makes no sense. They would update their kiosk restricted items list and manual checkin policies.

The fact they haven't done any of this shows its not really a serious ban - who wants to be the only airline in the world banning such devices?
mtimmer likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2022, 2:43 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand Elite
Originally Posted by mtimmer
My son flew QF. I was dealing with their baggage handling reps at akl airport. I posted this on the airpoints site as it is a query regarding baggage at akl airport. There are two baggage services at akl airport, air nz office and the Menzies baggage service which deals with qantas luggage. Their office is located at the end of the arrivals area, past McDonalds and outside those exit doors near the rideshare pickup area.
mtimmer likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2022, 4:37 pm

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Did you keep the Boarding Pass(es) with the 4 small baggage bar codes and show them to AirNZ staff at WLG? These are the small bar codes on the tip of the baggage tag and usually just stuck to the back of one Boarding Pass.

Although annoying, the misplaced bags usually are located quickly and arrive within 24 hours at home..
never ever had that happen for a long time
Old Nov 26, 2022, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by jeffrocowboy
never ever had that happen for a long time
Yeah it's normally printed on boarding pass.

Thought in the little stickers were to stick on suit case if main tag gets damaged
Old Nov 26, 2022, 6:18 pm
Original Poster

Good news bag is on a courier back to me. So system does work. It has given me food for thought as there used to be a separate area in the international terminal to drop bags in transit however now it is all part of the international bag drop. I think from now on I will take luggage to domestic and drop there.
Old Nov 27, 2022, 12:53 am

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
Originally Posted by nzkarit

Thought in the little stickers were to stick on suit case if main tag gets damaged
yes sometimes check-in staff do this; most of the time they don't seem to bother
Old Nov 27, 2022, 1:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by nzkarit

Seems so after reading a bit, and as jeffrocowboy mentioned. It comes back to me now as having just returned from Asia, where staff will check you in, they also affixed the small sticker to my check bag.

I suspect I have been ‘dumbed-down’ with repeated exposure to AirNZ’s “do it all yourself” model for check-in and lugging bags to be supervised through the process …
jeffrocowboy likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.