Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Remove your backpacks

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2022 | 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Remove your backpacks

Sitting AT gate in AKL waiting for flight to board and adjacent gate NZ141 to Brisbane is boarding.
They have now called out already three times "if you are wearing a backpack for your safety please remove this and carry in front of your body"

It's very odd, I have never heard this before. Is the gate agent ad libbing or some new boarding policy?
Old Oct 23, 2022 | 2:49 pm

Strange. Haven’t had this the past few times I went to Brisbane. I’d imagine this will be because people will be banging into each other with their bags. I don’t think it’s a standard spiel, unless it’s changed in the past two weeks or so.
Hector99 likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2022 | 2:59 pm
15 Years on Site

Programs: NZ*E, QF-G, EK-P
It appears common on flights out of LHR - I have heard same on several flights over last couple of months. SQ made it clear it for safety of other passengers.
kiwifrequentflyer likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2022 | 3:13 pm
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited5 Years on Site

Programs: Air NZ Elite
This is normal for a lot of flights, not just Air New Zealand?

I don't think its part of their official announcement but it is something I have heard staff request as an addition, from a wide range of airlines, and for good reason.

With your bag in your front, it means it sways less, and you can see where it is, so it doesn't bump accidentally into people in a small crowded space, like a plane.

As a courtesy, I do it myself when I remember, without having to be asked. It wasn't something I had thought of until I was on a plane one day and it was requested. Rather than find it strange, I thought it made a lot of sense and now do it in any crowded situation such as trains etc when I can.
​​​​​
​​​​​
Old Oct 23, 2022 | 3:30 pm
10 Countries Visited5 Years on Site

Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer

I don't think its part of their official announcement but it is something I have heard staff request as an addition, from a wide range of airlines, and for good reason.

With your bag in your front, it means it sways less, and you can see where it is, so it doesn't bump accidentally into people in a small crowded space, like a plane.

As a courtesy, I do it myself when I remember, without having to be asked. It wasn't something I had thought of until I was on a plane one day and it was requested. Rather than find it strange, I thought it made a lot of sense and now do it in any crowded situation such as trains etc when I can.
​​​​​
​​​​​
Or the people who trail their wheelie bag in such a way it gets caught on every seat and knee along the way.
Old Oct 23, 2022 | 6:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer

​​​​​
​​​​​
I ALWAYS travel with a work backpack and I have NEVER hit anyone, and I am not going to carry it around my front like some fanny pack. I would expect it on JQ perhaps (not that I would listen) where they treat pax like infants but not on Air NZ, patronising nonsense
Old Oct 23, 2022 | 6:45 pm
20 Countries Visited1M10 Years on Site

Programs: NZ*E
interesting - to me, it is just etiquette; it is very common in Asia (Japan, Korea, Hong Kong) that people will wear their backpack at the front in crowded places and Japan and Korea has overhead compartment for passengers to put their backpack on the shelf. While I was not there, but I assume the gate agent saw a few people with backpacks on that particular date?
Fliar likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2022 | 8:58 pm
40 Countries Visited1M15 Years on Site

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by oranjemakker
I ALWAYS travel with a work backpack and I have NEVER hit anyone, and I am not going to carry it around my front like some fanny pack. I would expect it on JQ perhaps (not that I would listen) where they treat pax like infants but not on Air NZ, patronising nonsense
To your knowledge you have never hit anyone, but that does not mean you have not almost hit someone. At that might be because those with better situational awareness were aware that your backpack was going to hit them and stepped out of the away.
Old Oct 23, 2022 | 9:52 pm
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited15 Years on Site

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
I heard such an announcement on a few AirNZ domestic flights a couple of months ago, nothing recently.

Also "if you have a water bottle in overhead", please get it out as it might leak
altabello and Antonio8069 like this.
Old Oct 23, 2022 | 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
50 Countries Visited1M15 Years on Site

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Plat
Cabin crew on my BA A380 flight YVR-LHR made some comments as the masses boarded about being aware on your backpack. But that was onboard.

I was already in my seat thankfully as a QF Gold.
Old Oct 23, 2022 | 11:59 pm
10 Years on Site

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Not sure what specific scenario that the announcement is intended to prevent, but the biggest issue that I've seen with backpacks is if one is sitting in an aisle seat during boarding and someone wearing a backpack is standing right beside and happens to turn even slightly, the aisle seat persons head will be in the backpacks way.
codyc1515, SeaProf, Beano and 3 others like this.
Old Oct 24, 2022 | 1:24 am
20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

Programs: NZ GE, QF
Originally Posted by econ
Not sure what specific scenario that the announcement is intended to prevent, but the biggest issue that I've seen with backpacks is if one is sitting in an aisle seat during boarding and someone wearing a backpack is standing right beside and happens to turn even slightly, the aisle seat persons head will be in the backpacks way.
I've been hit a few times over the years, in the head or the face, in exactly that scenario. I always carry my bag in front of me as I get on the plane.
Old Oct 24, 2022 | 3:23 am
50 Countries Visited5 Years on Site

Originally Posted by edmm
I've been hit a few times over the years, in the head or the face, in exactly that scenario. I always carry my bag in front of me as I get on the plane.
Ive never heard an announcement like that, but I too always carry my backpack in front while boarding.
Old Oct 24, 2022 | 7:33 am
10 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by econ
Ive had that happen to me a few times over the years.

Because I dont want to be That Mouse to someone else, I now always move my own backpack from my back to my front when Im on the jet bridge and about ten people away from getting into the plane.
Old Oct 24, 2022 | 10:35 am
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited40 Countries Visited

i have been hit in the face by people removing or putting on their backpacks. they just dont think about others. Even been hit by someone putting on their jacket - complete ignorance in my view.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.