Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

I keep hearing people arguing Air NZ should have launched EWR instead of JFK. Agree?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I keep hearing people arguing Air NZ should have launched EWR instead of JFK. Agree?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2022, 8:24 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
The AKLJFK sked I see (6Oct22) has the flight dep AKL at 1940 and arrive JFK at 1955. During the northern winter, it arrives JFK at 1740. Both times allow for domestic and international connections.

UA serves upwards of 25+ European destinations nonstop and most major and minor cities along the East Coast from EWR while JFK has no Star Alliance domestic feed (except to SFO and LAX!) and its international Star Alliance flights are limited to the hubs of its European Star partners, some of whom also serve EWR.

Last edited by SFO_FT; Sep 21, 2022 at 8:32 pm
Old Sep 21, 2022, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by SFO_FT
The AKLJFK sked I see (6Oct22) has the flight dep AKL at 1940 and arrive JFK at 1955. During the northern winter, it arrives JFK at 1740. Both times allow for domestic and international connections.

UA serves upwards of 25+ European destinations nonstop and most major and minor cities along the East Coast from EWR while JFK has no Star Alliance domestic feed (except to SFO and LAX!) and its international Star Alliance flights are limited to the hubs of its European Star partners, some of whom also serve EWR.
Though with MCT
Looking at EWR
From say 1030pm can find a hard MCT quickly but 2.5 seems to be recommended international arrival onwards
SNN GRU LHR PIT TLV IST on *A
Old Sep 21, 2022, 9:14 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
Originally Posted by SFO_FT

You would have to allow 4 hours minimum to connect to a flight. That has you boarding another flight at 10pm-12am. The demand to connect to late United flights I honestly doubt exceeds those that want an easier and nicer trip to/from NYC.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 1:25 pm

Programs: NZ*G, back of the bus UA, corner of the MLL AC.
This topic has been beaten to death around here but clearly NZ targeting JFK isn't about connections at that end, it's because JFK is seen as the premium airport at the NYC metro area and they want to target those passengers bound for NZ, as well as those ex-Australia heading to NYC.

There's far better options to Europe and NZ knows that (hello SQ), if you have to transit the US the I-I connection experience at IAH beats anything else in the network without the weather worries (for most of the year, at least)
Old Sep 22, 2022, 2:53 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Presumably NZ has assessed there is enough high yield demand for New York to not worry so much about lower yield onward US or intl connections. This is especially important for the economics of Ultra longhaul.
samyoull and Peter Snijder like this.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 4:25 pm

Programs: BA GGL/ VS Gold. Former: UA 1K (10 years+) , EY partners Plat, SQ PPS Club, SU Gold, LH SEN/HON
Originally Posted by nzkarit
On United engine types "New York" and got:
* EWR
* NYC All Airports
* JFK
* LGA
* NYS

Delta
* Area
* JFK
* LGA
* EWR

So airlines do show EWR when type New York.

Searching for New York on AirNZ on a non JFK days gives you mostly EWR flights

And they funny thing is LH Group doesn't consider EWR part of NYC and doesn't publish fares reflecting that. Do a search, its quite comical .

JFK is the primary NYC international airport.

EWR is a UA hub.

The proof is in the money, you should see what the fares are, and how full the plane is. The flights have been selling very well, despite operating from JFK.
People who need to connect can do though Houston or Chicago.
Old Sep 25, 2022, 8:53 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA
I live on the U.S. east coast and flying to AKL via IAH is 800 miles shorter than going via a New York airport.
Flying via IAH adds a whopping 5 miles (!) to the routing compared to a theoretical nonstop flight from my home airport, so I consider that to be pretty efficient and as good as I can ever hope for. 🤣
For me, flying UA to EWR to connect to an NZ flight from there (if they chose to operate from there instead of JFK) wouldn’t make much sense, and that is true for pretty much everyone on the east coast.

Even for people that live further north along the coast, for example Boston, connecting via IAH or ORD is pretty much the same distance compared to connecting via a New York airport, so there wouldn’t be much benefit for east coast *A fliers if NZ chose EWR over JFK, at least not from a travel time/distance point of view. Additional seat availability would be the only tangible advantage for east coast *A travelers.

A quick example, making the assumption that the timing of the flight out of EWR would be the same as the JFK flight:

BOS-EWR, 16:30 - 18:02
EWR-AKL, 19:40 - 07:30 (+2)

BOS-IAH, 15:28 - 18:53
IAH-AKL, 20:50 - 06:45 (+2)

That’s only a 17 minute difference in travel time, and going via IAH is a slightly longer (and hopefully more reliable) connection.
And you wouldn’t have to take an airside bus to change terminals from the EWR A or C gates (where the BOS flights arrive) to the B gates, where I presume they would have put NZ (together with SK, LH, LO, LX, and the other *A airlines). At IAH it’s a much easier connection from whatever gate the BOS flight arrives at (likely a “C” gate) to the NZ “D” gate.
SeaProf and kiwifrequentflyer like this.

Last edited by Peter Snijder; Sep 25, 2022 at 9:32 am
Old Sep 25, 2022, 11:31 pm

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AS, AC, QF
No.

Originally Posted by nzworldtraveller1
Hi all, I keep hearing from some people around that NZ should have had launched the flight to EWR instead of JFK. Alleged reasons listed include better customer experience at EWR, can connect to Star Alliance partner UA, even faster trips by taxi to Manhattan than coming from JFK.

but I also know from other accounts that EWR is far worse than JFK, almost no non-Americans readily recognise that EWR is New York at all (like EVA Air left EWR for JFK at the first opportunity years ago), and people don’t normally transfer onwards via New York.

So I like to hear you all’s comments, thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.