Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Yelling at the Robot!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2022, 8:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Talking Yelling at the Robot!

Does anyone else end up yelling at the robot woman (the one who says Kia Ora in a really annoying way) whenever they call customer service?

Dear Air NZ if you are going to force your frequent travellers to call the same number please save us the stress of trying to explain something complicated to a robot who clearly doesn't fly very often!!

Today I was calling to apply an upgrade to a flight booked via a TA and after I said that was what I wanted "she" told me something about how its always nice to be a bit more comfortable and would I like a text message with a link about all the ways I could earn upgrades.

I get that they have to make this system apply to the lowest common denominator (i.e. those who rarely travel) but why can't they give Elites a separate number which avoids all the patronisation and frustration. Like often I am calling about something and they ask me if its for a certain flight , never the right one, when I usually have a bunch booked, clearly not build to handle customers with multiple bookings. I suspect either the elites are calling because its something they cannot do online or they are perhaps older and not so savvy with the online systems and want to be helped in person. In neither case is endlessly trying to gaslight me to send me to your website going to help! I am quite happy to wait since I get that you are short staffed but can you at least try and make the experience less frustrating! I have in the past even been cut off because the robot told me what I wanted I could do online (when clearly I couldnt!)

Anyway, rant over!

As ever, as soon as you get an actual person on the line, they are super helpful.
mad_atta likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2022, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Here is the trick - just say “Agent”. Then say it again. That works wonders for me in shortcutting the bot.
mad_atta likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2022, 11:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Here is the trick - just say “Agent”. Then say it again. That works wonders for me in shortcutting the bot.
Ah good idea, I usually try and answer the questions, I should learn to ignore "her"! hahaha
poopbunny likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2022, 12:09 am

Programs: NZ GE, QF
Originally Posted by oranjemakker
Does anyone else end up yelling at the robot woman (the one who says Kia Ora in a really annoying way) whenever they call customer service?

Dear Air NZ if you are going to force your frequent travellers to call the same number please save us the stress of trying to explain something complicated to a robot who clearly doesn't fly very often!!

Today I was calling to apply an upgrade to a flight booked via a TA and after I said that was what I wanted "she" told me something about how its always nice to be a bit more comfortable and would I like a text message with a link about all the ways I could earn upgrades.

I get that they have to make this system apply to the lowest common denominator (i.e. those who rarely travel) but why can't they give Elites a separate number which avoids all the patronisation and frustration. Like often I am calling about something and they ask me if its for a certain flight , never the right one, when I usually have a bunch booked, clearly not build to handle customers with multiple bookings. I suspect either the elites are calling because its something they cannot do online or they are perhaps older and not so savvy with the online systems and want to be helped in person. In neither case is endlessly trying to gaslight me to send me to your website going to help! I am quite happy to wait since I get that you are short staffed but can you at least try and make the experience less frustrating! I have in the past even been cut off because the robot told me what I wanted I could do online (when clearly I couldnt!)

Anyway, rant over!

As ever, as soon as you get an actual person on the line, they are super helpful.
I think the lack of a dedicated line, and being forced to talk to the robot is a huge loss, a definite "enhancement" of Elite benefits. If I have to call, it is always about something I can't do online, usually something complex, and something that you can't explain to the robot. I've spent hours on the phone listening to the music. One time I was offered a callback, I accepted, got sick of waiting after an hour, went to the airport, sorted it with the very helpful staff, and the callback came about 45 minutes later.
Please Air NZ, give us a dedicated phone line and sack the robot, we didn't really want another enhancement to Elite benefits.
Old Sep 18, 2022, 6:44 am

Programs: Air Canada 35k
Thanks for this advice! I'm going to try this with other phone bots as well.
Old Sep 18, 2022, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by inkygirl
Thanks for this advice! I'm going to try this with other phone bots as well.

I just repeat over and over, “agent - customer service- real person- agent…”

I do this with everyone. It generally works!

note to the OP. Them email that gave information that was only peripherally related to your question and not needed had nothing to do with Status. I’m sure plenty of non status customers get the same crap!
inkygirl likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.