Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Competition from Qantas to NYC

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2022, 9:38 pm

Programs: RFC
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Given that the QF subsidiary Jetstar replaced QF NZ to me no hope QF would restart NZ domestic flights.

But this is not new. QF used to AKL-LAX a ~decade or more ago. Flight started in SYD or MEL (changed over time)
There's no chance because NZ domestic is a LCC and DeathStar are competing on that already. QF coming back simply wouldn't work in NZ because few-to-none will pay for a non-LCC service.

I used to use the AKL-LAX QF flights 3-4 times a year, usually connecting from CHC or WLG. Always cheaper than NZ, more space, and generally better flight times for what I needed. Crews were just as variable as NZ.
Old Sep 18, 2022, 4:03 am

Programs: Air NZ Airpoints, Qantas FF
Originally Posted by NZ_Flyer
To be fair to NZ they don't price gouge much - I'm based in the US for work at the moment and domestic fares are insane despite all the competition. If I can get non-stop return flights for under USD$500 (+ a checked bag fee of USD30-40 each way if you don't have status) I'm happy and its pretty standard for a return to cost USD$800+. By comparison I'm back in New Zealand for a few months soon and got flexidate return fares from AKL to NPE and NSN (as examples) in peak holiday weekends for under NZD$300 return.
no way. CHC to AKL return in peak holiday periods (Christmas) is $399 at the cheapest - you can easily get to $600.
Old Sep 18, 2022, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by nzworldtraveller1
no way. CHC to AKL return in peak holiday periods (Christmas) is $399 at the cheapest - you can easily get to $600.
This is simply supply v demand. The ‘fare bucket’ system that sees most airlines offer a certain number of seats in varying economy sub-classes, each at various price points, will naturally see the cheaper buckets sold first. It is completely un-surprising that in high demand period that others get in early, and so it looks to the naive traveller that there is price gouging. - but truthfully this is just a free market in operation.

The alternative is a system such as Air Chathams uses (with 3 fares), or a single ‘mid-point fare (say $200) that harks back to NAC in the1970s.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.