Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Has Air NZ signalled when they are going to be bringing more capacity on-line?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2022, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

It seems every other flight I am on is full (sold out), with limited other options available. This also has the natural consequence of pushing prices up significantly. Has Air NZ signalled when they are going to be bringing more capacity on-line? I would presume this would bring prices back a bit.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 5:30 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Where to?

Domestic and short haul intl capacity is pretty much at or exceeding pre Covid levels and they don't have the staff to increase it.

Longhaul will be determined by staff and the reintroduction of the 77W fleet over the next 12 months
Old Jul 28, 2022, 5:41 pm

And external factors like Virgin is pretty much gone TT wise. The others are having to pick that up that pax load.

Suppose domestically the A321 coming online later this year may help. Especially is only one more cabin crew per flight to increase pax and not 2 pilots + 4 crew for an extra flight. So staff wise should be helpful.

A number I would like to see is staff to pax ratio 2019 to now. Broken down for each job.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 6:39 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by nzkarit
And external factors like Virgin is pretty much gone TT wise. The others are having to pick that up that pax load.

Suppose domestically the A321 coming online later this year may help. Especially is only one more cabin crew per flight to increase pax and not 2 pilots + 4 crew for an extra flight. So staff wise should be helpful.

A number I would like to see is staff to pax ratio 2019 to now. Broken down for each job.
Routes like AKL-BNE are almost sold out for every date between now and the end of October.

The 789s have been an downgrade in capacity from the 77Ws pre covid, especially when it’s an code two.

The lack of VA doesn’t help either ex AKL were some routes were 2-4x daily with there 738s.

Ive got an up coming trip to Brisbane, that I had to book JQ to OOL.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 6:47 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Not to mention the lack of other carriers who were also flying TT particularly EK and SQ.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 6:53 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by sbiddle
Not to mention the lack of other carriers who were also flying TT particularly EK and SQ.
Also CI who now do AKL-TPE non-stop rather than via BNE with a 77W or A359.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 9:20 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador
I don't think there's any real financial incentive for them to put on more flights at the moment even if they could.

Look at the fares they are charging, why try your hardest to put more flights on to lower fares when you can charge what you like and people will pay? I've booked two BP trips recently. AKL-JFK-AKL cost a little over $17K and AKL-LAX-LHR-IAH-AKL cost almost $19K...
Old Jul 29, 2022, 6:07 am

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by sbiddle
Domestic and short haul intl capacity is pretty much at or exceeding pre Covid levels and they don't have the staff to increase it.
Whaaat?! Short-haul capacity on the Tasman at least is WAAAAY below pre-Covid levels. Like about half. Only 3x SYD-AKL flights many days with only one of them wide body, vs 5x daily previously with at least 2 wide bodies. SYD-WLG schedule almost non-existent. As a result, terrible flight times (ex-Aus anyway) and high prices. Impossible to find acceptable connections from provincial NZ to SYD on many days.

I too am very interested in the answer to this question, as I'm sick of having to fly QF across the ditch!
Old Jul 29, 2022, 3:13 pm

Somewhat tangential. Pondering if I should buy some flights at t-350ish or wait to see if they do a new year's sale.

(Will be flights to North America in August 2023).

Just given the loadings wondering if they need to do sales at the moment to get pax on flights? Though if I can get the international multiple stop offer refundable tickets. Might answer itself. Can cancel later if there is a sale.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 6:11 am

Originally Posted by cavemanzk
Also CI who now do AKL-TPE non-stop rather than via BNE with a 77W or A359.
Very tangential - but the CI to TPE is a cargo-only flight. TW routes have not rebounded back due to ongoing border restrictions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.