Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Business and premium not available in September?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Business and premium not available in September?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2022, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Question Business and premium not available in September?

Hi,
Looking to fly from JFK to Auckland in September on the first run of nonstops from JFK. Trying to book my flight and it says, under the business/premium economy options, "Not Available on this Flight". I can't seem to find out what that means. Anyone know? This'll be my first time flying on an airline's brand new route, so not sure if this is routine. Thanks.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 1:36 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
The flights are packed. That's all. Premium seats for September JFK flights sold out a month ago, if not earlier.
codyc1515 likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by a380supremacy
Hi,
Looking to fly from JFK to Auckland in September on the first run of nonstops from JFK. Trying to book my flight and it says, under the business/premium economy options, "Not Available on this Flight". I can't seem to find out what that means. Anyone know? This'll be my first time flying on an airline's brand new route, so not sure if this is routine. Thanks.
And a warm welcome to your first FlyerTalk post too
Old Jul 18, 2022, 2:54 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I'm going to LAX and domestic US destinations. I am using Fiji Airways as they are slightly over half the price in business of NZ and QF. Connections and product are decent. My travel agent is quoting $16,000 return for some of my departure dates on NZ/UA.
codyc1515 likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 4:29 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand
Originally Posted by CHCflyer
I'm going to LAX and domestic US destinations. I am using Fiji Airways as they are slightly over half the price in business of NZ and QF. Connections and product are decent. My travel agent is quoting $16,000 return for some of my departure dates on NZ/UA.
Same here. No way was I going to spend that exorbitant amount of money just to stay on NZ or QF. My next trip to the States is going via PPT with Air Tahiti Nui. But also using FJ quite a bit. Agree that the connections and product are actually really good.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 4:36 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador
I'm booked to to go JFK early next year on the non-stop flights. Cost about $17K return!
codyc1515 likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 6:03 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by HighFlyingKiwi
Same here. No way was I going to spend that exorbitant amount of money just to stay on NZ or QF. My next trip to the States is going via PPT with Air Tahiti Nui. But also using FJ quite a bit. Agree that the connections and product are actually really good.
And I get my QF points too - always a bonus!
mad_atta likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 8:31 pm

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by a380supremacy
Hi,
Welcome a380supremacy - I love your handle!

Interesting that the JFK flights are so full, even at the exorbitant fare levels being charged. Maybe NZ is onto something.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 10:19 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
I was shocked too. I booked family on one of the returning flights. The economy has a lower PAX number coming home I believe due to the longer flight time, but I think that impacts economy, not premium seats, so it shouldn't change their demand levels.

With it being such a long flight, it makes sense people want to avoid economy.

It also makes sense in that NYC is one of the biggest business travel spots for kiwis businesses. Lots of people want to fly there, and since domestic flights in the USA are just awful, if you can avoid having to make a domestic connection to get there... That's going to save enormous amounts of stress!
Old Jul 19, 2022, 1:29 am

Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer
I was shocked too. I booked family on one of the returning flights. The economy has a lower PAX number coming home I believe due to the longer flight time, but I think that impacts economy, not premium seats, so it shouldn't change their demand levels.
Yes, I think AKL-JFK they can largely sell most of the seats on the plane. On the return, I believe they have to fly with about 40-60 empty seats in Economy (depending on the time of year).
Old Jul 26, 2022, 1:36 am

Programs: QF Plat (OWE)/NZ Gold (*G)
At the moment part of the issue it that the markets are hot. I’ve actually noticed that AA/QF/NZ have zero’ed out cheaper business class fares for travel in Oct/Nov. Historically I wouldn’t have issue getting a D/I (OW) or J/Z (*A) ticket to the states in July for 4 months later….every flight back from New York from now till Christmas is only showing C class business only. I’m suspecting that lower classes are being blocked for the time being to see how forward sales go given all this revenge travel
mad_atta and codyc1515 like this.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by NZJuniorDoc
I’m suspecting that lower classes are being blocked for the time being to see how forward sales go given all this revenge travel
I'm seeing similar trends quite often on the trans-tasman routes too. Taking CHC-BNE in October, as an example, there are a number of dates available where, travelling via AKL, the Premium Economy price is cheaper than Seat Only. I've seen this before in the past the odd time but not often.

Old Jul 27, 2022, 2:33 am

Originally Posted by codyc1515
I'm seeing similar trends quite often on the trans-tasman routes too. Taking CHC-BNE in October, as an example, there are a number of dates available where, travelling via AKL, the Premium Economy price is cheaper than Seat Only. I've seen this before in the past the odd time but not often.

Pre-Covid, if booking for flights to RAR ex-AKL during the school holidays, you could often get BP for less than Y. I recall booking a trip their about 6 months out. Y Seat Only was about $2K return (full Y class) and BP was about $1100 return (Z class special).

No brainer which one to choose really...
kanangela and codyc1515 like this.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 3:01 am

Programs: NZ Silver A3 Gold Qantas Gold Accor Platinum
Ok no surprise here having left NZ end of May to Europe and just returned the difference from May to now is staggering. We we arrived things were relatively quite but over the last six weeks all the flights inter-europe and back to NZ all full. Airports just wall to wall people working their way around wall to wall lost bags. We arrived in Athens in May and left from there in the weekend. Would say there was 3x more people around compared to when we arrived. There are shortages in all aspects of travel in support staff and we became used of delayed and disrupted flights in Europe as cannot recall one that was not. Having some sort of status in regards to fast track became a necessity as queues at security are staggering. We very quickly moved to arriving for flights 4 hours before just for piece of mind.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 3:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
ClanJ
We very quickly moved to arriving for flights 4 hours before just for piece of mind
Which piece of mind was sacrificed to provide peace of mind?!

(Sorry, can’t help myself.)
everywhere likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.