Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Refunds in the case of schedule changes?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2022, 11:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH HON/AF Gold

Hey everybody,

We've booked tickets as a group for travel in November on NZ on a restricted economy fare. It's looking like one person out of the group would prefer not to travel due to personal reasons. Obviously cancellation is out of the question with this fare, but I was wondering how flexible NZ is with cancellation in the case of a schedule change.

On that note- have the schedules been firmed up for the upcoming Spring/Summer Season? Can we expect some adjustments to scheduled flights?

Thanks for any info!
Old Jul 18, 2022, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by theKrafty1tar
Hey everybody,

We've booked tickets as a group for travel in November on NZ on a restricted economy fare. It's looking like one person out of the group would prefer not to travel due to personal reasons. Obviously cancellation is out of the question with this fare, but I was wondering how flexible NZ is with cancellation in the case of a schedule change.

On that note- have the schedules been firmed up for the upcoming Spring/Summer Season? Can we expect some adjustments to scheduled flights?

Thanks for any info!
First, you can ask AirNZ to split off that one passenger into a separate PNR (booking reference). That, at least, allows that person to try and work through options without affecting the arrangements of others.

If the schedule changes, I have successfully gained a refund by noting the revised schedule was not suitable for the purposes of my travel. This was for domestic travel, but could be applied to any travel.

Forward schedules are likely to remain in flux for months yet. Indeed my AirNZ ticketed flights WLG-CHC-SIN-BKK in late Dec had a cancellation by SQ on the final sector. This forces an unwanted overnight in Singapore. There was no option to slide travel by a day as AKL/CHC-SIN are fully sold,
I think flexibility in plans and arrangements is a vital element in the near term.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 4:34 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador
From recollection, NZ have time bands for DOM, TASPAC, INTL schedule changes where they'll allow a refund. I can't remember what they are.

For example, if you are flying LAX-AKL and the schedule change is 5 mins they obviously won't refund. However, if it were 5+ hours they might do.
codyc1515 likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 4:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LyingFlat
From recollection, NZ have time bands for DOM, TASPAC, INTL schedule changes where they'll allow a refund. I can't remember what they are.

For example, if you are flying LAX-AKL and the schedule change is 5 mins they obviously won't refund. However, if it were 5+ hours they might do.
thanks for the information. I’m based in Europe and a LH/AF frequent traveler where any change over 2 hours allows a refund (but obviously I realize every airline has their own policy). Would be curious what the ANZ policy is. I did go ahead and separate the one passenger onto her own PNR. Worst case scenario it seems like taxes can be refunded (this is a SYD-AKL-PPT return trip)
Old Jul 18, 2022, 6:08 pm

As above. Air NZ used to offer a refund when changing by a defined period of time (depending on trip length). However of late I have only seen them offer a change or credit (not refund). Worth a shot over the phone however as they may be breaching NZ Consumer Law in doing so.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Sorry to bump this older thread - received an email with a schedule change today. Unfortunately only ~2 hours change, so no chance for a refund, but ANZ is offering a "flight credit". Does this flight credit have to be used by the same person? (Who will not be flying NZ anytime soon...). Or could this credit be used to upgrade segments of the flight for other pax?
Old Aug 10, 2022, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by theKrafty1tar
Sorry to bump this older thread - received an email with a schedule change today. Unfortunately only ~2 hours change, so no chance for a refund, but ANZ is offering a "flight credit". Does this flight credit have to be used by the same person? (Who will not be flying NZ anytime soon...). Or could this credit be used to upgrade segments of the flight for other pax?
Credits can be used by anyone. Just need to know the booking reference & email address. There is an option on the payment page to enter credit info
Old Aug 10, 2022, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nzkarit
Credits can be used by anyone. Just need to know the booking reference & email address. There is an option on the payment page to enter credit info
Ok great, thanks! Just wanted to make sure that they weren’t tied to the person from the original booking (like with most US airlines).

cheers
Old Aug 13, 2022, 1:47 pm

Programs: Airpoints, HHONORS GOLD VIP, Aclub Gold
Air nz have always been very flexible for me with changing day of departure or later/earlier flight due to scheduling changes. I got one recently when the agent over the phone allowed the free change just because the flight number had changed..... Ymmv
Old Aug 13, 2022, 3:03 pm

Did anyone have any luck using a credit to change “in-flight options” (such as upgrade to Works Deluxe)? The page says this is possible, but I can’t see any option to do it. Worse I am trying to use a TA credit so would need to call them and explain it needs to be used for an upgrade which is typically only possible over the phone with NZ.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 9:46 pm

Programs: RFC
Originally Posted by LyingFlat

NZ can have all the bands (& self congratulatory parties, fetes, and celebrations) they want, but New Zealand law says that if they change the ticket and you want a refund then you get a refund. NZ will, of course, lie directly to your face about this. You cannot contract out of the law, no matter how much NZ pretends or blusters otherwise.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 10:04 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by JamesBigglesworth
NZ can have all the bands (& self congratulatory parties, fetes, and celebrations) they want, but New Zealand law says that if they change the ticket and you want a refund then you get a refund. NZ will, of course, lie directly to your face about this. You cannot contract out of the law, no matter how much NZ pretends or blusters otherwise.
Please quote the law(s) you are referring to. So, what you are saying is, if NZ schedule change my flight by 5 minutes I'm entitled to a refund? I'm sure you're aware that aviation law is incredibly complex (especially if multiple jurisdictions are involved).

With regards to contracting out, you can contract out of the law if the law allows you to contract out of it. For example, there's a reason why in NZ a pre-nuptial agreement is called a contracting out agreement...
Old Aug 17, 2022, 5:54 am

Air NZ's position on this is quite clear. It is explained in detail on their Involuntary Change Notifications page

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.