Wiki Posts
Search

Deleting Giftees

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2022, 11:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air NZ Elite
Deleting Giftees

So, I would like to delete a giftee. But I already have a pending upgrade for them. If I delete them off my list, does anyone know what will happen to my upgrade I have already lodged for them?
Old Jul 12, 2022, 2:43 am

Can you not simply delete the giftee online or do you need to call?
Old Jul 12, 2022, 9:29 pm
Original Poster

Well, I didn't want to delete them and then lose an upgrade I had lodged for them. I've been waiting until I have free time to call Air NZ. I should be able to call them either tonight or tomorrow. I'll update the thread with my answer in case anyone in the future needs help with this niche question too.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 6:05 am
Original Poster

Have just confirmed you can't do this. I also learned that you can't change your giftees unless it is your anniversary day, even if they are old giftees you haven't gifted to in years. I didn't know that, so I am glad I know it now! They said they will usually be lenianr on the exact date but that it's supposed to only be changed literally on your anniversary date and if you miss it, you miss it.

Last edited by kiwifrequentflyer; Jul 13, 2022 at 6:46 am
Old Jul 13, 2022, 1:13 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer
Have just confirmed you can't do this. I also learned that you can't change your giftees unless it is your anniversary day, even if they are old giftees you haven't gifted to in years. I didn't know that, so I am glad I know it now! They said they will usually be lenianr on the exact date but that it's supposed to only be changed literally on your anniversary date and if you miss it, you miss it.
If that us the case then it has changed. I have changed giftees mid-year before. You can only change once a year though.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

I swear I had changed giftees midyear as well. The customer rep made it sound like I should have known about this rule by having picked my giftees on my anniversary day- but I feel like pre pandemic you could swap and change throughout the year. The written terms and conditions are also quite vague in their wording, but the honest truth is that I did not interpret this to mean you have to change them on your anniversary DAY, I interpreted this to mean you can change them anytime once a year after your anniversary rolls over:
  • If you're a Gold or Elite Airpoints member, or you currently have a Westpac Airpoints credit card (for NZ residents only), you can choose a limited number of people outside your household to be giftees as well on each anniversary year of your Gold or Elite Airpoints membership

Last edited by kiwifrequentflyer; Aug 25, 2022 at 12:03 am
Old Jul 13, 2022, 1:52 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Is these changes have infect been made it'll be no surprise. Sooo many people were just adding giftees and lodging upgrades for them and then topping their APD balance up again. It was a system ripe for fixing.

I do wonder however if there is confusion from the CSR between Elite partner gifting (which can only happen before your anniversary) and adding and removing giftees for upgrades online.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

The whole phone call was honestly a tad confusing. They mentioned my elite partner and at one point, confused my elite partner with my giftees. They also confused my household giftees with my non household giftees. But they went to their supervisors two times and each time the supervisor held strong. They did actually let me change in the end but they emphasised that this was an exception they would never make again.

I totally understand why Air NZ want to modify the rules so that people can't do this. It was surprising though that the customer rep was implying that I should have known that this rule existed because as this thread shows, it seems like this rule change is new, it didn't exist before.

Last edited by kiwifrequentflyer; Jul 13, 2022 at 6:10 pm
Old Jul 13, 2022, 10:04 pm

I've just removed a non household giftee without a problem online that was added last anniversary year, and plan to add a couple of new ones soon so hopefully I'm not blocked from making changes. I think it would be unreasonable to expect changes to made on the anniversary day only, its pretty impractical.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 10:07 pm

The whole phone call was honestly a tad confusing. They mentioned my elite partner and at one point, confused my elite partner with my giftees. They also confused my household giftees with my non household giftees. But they went to their supervisors two times and each time the supervisor held strong. They did actually let me change in the end but they emphasised that this was an exception they would never make again.

I totally understand why Air NZ want to modify the rules so that people can't do this. It was surprising though that the customer rep was implying that I should have known that this rule existed because as this thread shows, it seems like this rule change is new, it didn't exist before.
So the giftee you wanted to delete with the pending upgrade was a no go, they have to stay until the upgrade clears, expires or is deleted? But while on the call you made changes to other giftees, is that correct?
Old Jul 13, 2022, 10:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by racekp
So the giftee you wanted to delete with the pending upgrade was a no go, they have to stay until the upgrade clears, expires or is deleted? But while on the call you made changes to other giftees, is that correct?
My posts are confusing. To clarify, I have four non household giftees.

I have two I regularly gift to, and two that have just been on my list historically.

I was just curious in this thread about whether you can delete people with pending upgrades, but wasn't planning on actually deleting them. When I called Air NZ I didn't ask to delete my giftees I gift to a lot, I called to delete off a giftee I haven't gifted to in years to replace them, and was going to ask this as a side question.

Through the conversation, the answer that applied to both questions is that you can delete people as you like, upgrades pending or not, but you now can't replace them until it is your anniversary day, and you are supposed to call them on your anniversary day and let them know who you want on your list, but that they will usually be flexible for a few days/weeks but it is up to their discretion.
racekp likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 12:53 am

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
My posts are confusing. To clarify, I have four non household giftees.

I have two I regularly gift to, and two that have just been on my list historically.

I was just curious in this thread about whether you can delete people with pending upgrades, but wasn't planning on actually deleting them. When I called Air NZ I didn't ask to delete my giftees I gift to a lot, I called to delete off a giftee I haven't gifted to in years to replace them, and was going to ask this as a side question.

Through the conversation, the answer that applied to both questions is that you can delete people as you like, upgrades pending or not, but you now can't replace them until it is your anniversary day, and you are supposed to call them on your anniversary day and let them know who you want on your list, but that they will usually be flexible for a few days/weeks but it is up to their discretion.
Which date is the anniversary date?
The date you have to obtain all your SP by OR the date you receive all upgrades .
There is a 7 week difference.
codyc1515 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.