Wiki Posts
Search

Lifetime Elite status?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2022, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Lifetime Elite status?

Seems like everything is on the table - but NZ has a record of over-promising/teasing

https://www.executivetraveller.com/n...ifetime-status
Old Jun 27, 2022, 4:02 pm

There seems to be only one new thing in this story: that the CEO has said that changes have been pushed out another year. This publication ran in essence this same story (reporting on the survey) in, if I recall correctly, November 2020.

In November 2021 NZ put out a press release saying it would launch its own credit card in 2022. That press release included the hilarious line that:
Airpoints was first introduced in 1989 as the Frequent Traveller Club and has evolved over the past 19 years to become the most rewarding frequent flyer and coalition loyalty programme in New Zealand.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 4:12 pm

From a business perspective, now would be the logical point to be removing complimentary recognition upgrades (theory: many people haven't used them for years so may be less resistant to their demise). Obviously that is a very big devaluation so they would need to throw in some sweeteners.

NZ announced the Status Points Head Start in October 2019 but then never implemented it. Very odd. No idea about the practicality of calculating of calculating lifetime status points (perhaps it requires some system upgrades), but if it could be done it would make sense as you can keep people chasing higher and higher numbers.

Of course, status calculation has changed over time. Someone will correct me, but from memory it was changed in 1999 to be points (1.25 points earned per km flown in business, 0.7 in discount economy). 60k for Gold, 100k for Gold Elite (as it then was). Then in 2002 to status points and in 2014 they took away the simple chart and I don't even pretend to know how it works any more.

And who could forget the debacle in 2012 when they cut the use your Airpoints to upgrade system and had to quickly backtrack... well for Gold Elite members.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 1:19 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite
If we get to keep our Elite Banked Years, I'm all for the addition of Elite Plus+ - if it's replacing that, I'd rather keep my Elite Banked Years.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 4:07 am

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
If a loyalty manager told his/her CEO that he/she needed more than a year to implement changes, he/she would probably get fired.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 8:29 am

Programs: NZ *E
Originally Posted by Xiaotung
If a loyalty manager told his/her CEO that he/she needed more than a year to implement changes, he/she would probably get fired.
I suspect it's probably that any tech stack changes got pushed back in favor of implementing some COVID specific work such as the credit tool
Old Apr 3, 2024, 9:11 am

Any further chatter on this lifetime program?
Old Apr 3, 2024, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
No. We are all looking to find a better program.....
CX HK likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 1:16 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G)
Originally Posted by CX HK

Keep your expectations low, Foran used to be the CEO of the American division of WalMart. While I have greatly appreciated his response to my e-mail about call wait times, I keep my expectations realistic (aka very low), given the nature of WalMart.
jawnbc likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 3:08 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by CX HK
You can argue Air NZ already has lifetime status. It's called banked years.

There are plenty of people out there with 20+ years banked that will virtually outlast their years of regular flying.
Old Apr 4, 2024, 5:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sbiddle
You can argue Air NZ already has lifetime status. It's called banked years.

There are plenty of people out there with 20+ years banked that will virtually outlast their years of regular flying.
They would be better off giving me lifetime elite status.
I have 15 years banked and I don't intend to fly that often as to benefit from those banked years. Price will certainly play a role rather than schedule when I have to play for myself for purely leisure trips, and I have lifetime QF Gold, so I am not necessarily devoted to NZ or even Star Alliance.
Old Apr 4, 2024, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by CHCflyer
They would be better off giving me lifetime elite status.
I have 15 years banked and I don't intend to fly that often as to benefit from those banked years. Price will certainly play a role rather than schedule when I have to play for myself for purely leisure trips, and I have lifetime QF Gold, so I am not necessarily devoted to NZ or even Star Alliance.
I am confused. If you doubt you’ll benefit from your 15 banked years, why mention you’d prefer lifetime elite status?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.