Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alternatives to upgrade benefits

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2022, 4:55 pm

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AS, AC, QF
Simple: let us carry over 2022 RUs into 2023 when they're more likely to be fungible. BTW I cleared an RU AKL LAX on Easter Thursday (am Gold rather than Elite). And there was an empty seat in J across from me!
SeaProf, Thai-Kiwi, Ellice and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 6:46 pm

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
RU approved

When you have several persons of equal status all with RU does AIRNZ look at
1: the years at elite
2; the years banked
3: the years as a Airpoints member
4: the date of applying for the RU
5; the points in your account
6;whether you are traveling with someone
Apparently ringing the call centre does not improve the RU being approved as a robot checks the pending approvals
Old Jun 15, 2022, 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by Beano
When you have several persons of equal status all with RU does AIRNZ look at
1: the years at elite
2; the years banked
3: the years as a Airpoints member
4: the date of applying for the RU
5; the points in your account
6;whether you are traveling with someone
Apparently ringing the call centre does not improve the RU being approved as a robot checks the pending approvals
Status Level
Then date order applied from what I understand.

Only gotcha if apply and no A or R. But then they add R or A the next person to apply will automatically get the RU. From what I understand when they add A or R they don't look back to see if any RU already applied for.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 10:53 am

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
Originally Posted by nzkarit
Status Level
Then date order applied from what I understand.

Only gotcha if apply and no A or R. But then they add R or A the next person to apply will automatically get the RU. From what I understand when they add A or R they don't look back to see if any RU already applied for.
Yeah I've had that happen to me before. It's super annoying. A is OK as you can set an ExpertFlyer alert for it...but when that happens with R...
Old Jun 16, 2022, 12:38 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand Elite
You should be able to carry those RUs forward to the next year and accumulate them if the planes are repeatedly full and RUs don’t clear. Things are going to change now that that ridiculous pre departure test requirement is being lifted and other airlines will start flying to New Zealand and people will have a choice, some of the time, on who they fly with. Just saying.
Nb am not in a good frame of mind with air nz having tried for days to get through to their call centre to split a booking so someone can change their flight. Why they don’t have a call back option I do not know.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by Ellice
You should be able to carry those RUs forward to the next year and accumulate them if the planes are repeatedly full and RUs don’t clear. Things are going to change now that that ridiculous pre departure test requirement is being lifted and other airlines will start flying to New Zealand and people will have a choice, some of the time, on who they fly with. Just saying.
Nb am not in a good frame of mind with air nz having tried for days to get through to their call centre to split a booking so someone can change their flight. Why they don’t have a call back option I do not know.
I don't see airlines bringing forward dates of returning to NZ. Issues aren't entry conditions but the lack of pilots, cabin crew & aircraft. Takes a while to bring staff back & a lot of airlines are lacking 787s which should have been delivered by now but are waiting for fixes & FAA sign off.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 1:07 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand Elite
Point taken re other factors affecting airlines returning to nz but imho that pre departure test requirement is definitely a factor in other airlines coming here or not. Btw I’m assuming you work at air New Zealand nz karit?
Old Jun 16, 2022, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
They do have a callback option but it seems very hit or miss as to whether you get it or not.

I've been holding off booking a US trip until I can be certain of availability of R/A class as I have a little bit of flexibility with dates and don't want the gamble of not having confirmed upgrades.. But with no ability to get hold of anybody to know this I simply may not book at all if I can't find it out soon.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 1:50 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G)
Point taken re other factors affecting airlines returning to nz but imho that pre departure test requirement is definitely a factor in other airlines coming here or not.
Based on the situation here in the US, I'd be surprised if the departure test requirement was a deciding factor on US airlines flying to NZ - our airlines have flied to other places that had the requirement and it really hasn't seemed to be a deciding factor for passengers.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 4:36 pm

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sbiddle
They do have a callback option but it seems very hit or miss as to whether you get it or not.

I've been holding off booking a US trip until I can be certain of availability of R/A class as I have a little bit of flexibility with dates and don't want the gamble of not having confirmed upgrades.. But with no ability to get hold of anybody to know this I simply may not book at all if I can't find it out soon.
That's a good concept but if the RU are about to expire you have to book a flight to apply it .
Old Jun 19, 2022, 10:59 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Upgrades are only useful if you have access to the AKL network. I was WLG-based and now CHC-based. I haven't used an upgrade voucher in a decade, irrespective of load factors in AKL. They seriously expect me to use an upgrade voucher to a Works Deluxe fare, getting the same slimline seat, same $2 meal and an empty seat next to me??
Old Jun 24, 2022, 2:59 pm

Programs: NZ*GE
Also they could have added 8 or so premium economy class seats in the narrowbody Airbus NEOs. That way those coming out of Wellington and Christchurch could at least use upgrades on Trans Tasman.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 1:10 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by Alphapapa
Also they could have added 8 or so premium economy class seats in the narrowbody Airbus NEOs. That way those coming out of Wellington and Christchurch could at least use upgrades on Trans Tasman.
Years ago there were 8 business class seats in A320. Long gone. Not enough pax paid for business so mostly an upgrade class.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 1:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
v

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Years ago there were 8 business class seats in A320. Long gone. Not enough pax paid for business so mostly an upgrade class.
A quick check shows on 8 Jan 2008 I flew SYD-WLG in ZK-OBJ in business class as a part of relocating back to NZ from Thailand.

I’d wanted to fly the new 388 from SIN, so it was SQ F BKK-SIN, SQ J SIN-SYD, finally SYD-WLG in J.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 3:40 am

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
The A320's had business class removed in 2010. Given how much people are valuing personal space and prepaid to pay for premium cabins, I wonder if re introducing it on the trans tasman A320's might actually be beneficial for Air NZ.
Outbound24 and codyc1515 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.