Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Priority lane for domestic travel

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2022, 5:25 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by nzkarit
Premium entrance thinking of current airports isn't going to work. Even when they did the extension of the south west pier at Wellington the security layout sucks and get the security queue blocking the regional gates. Could have been interesting if the extended L2 all the way over security and regional gates and done a security and longue entrance from the valet side of check-in.
AKL probably could work, although probably not worth spending any additional costs on that terminal.

There is plenty of mezzanine floor space around the check-in area, along with some of it reaching the forecourt. Also next to check-in there is the old viewing deck stair case that leads up to the back of the lounge, this was used for the regional exit from the lounge.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 8:22 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
I'm really not sold on the need to invest heavily in it to attempt to fix a problem that IMHO doesn't really exist.

NZ isn't like the US where priority boarding is such a great benefit because the boarding process for an A320 can easily take 25+ mins and overhead bin space doesn't exist if your aren't on the plane early.

Here is not uncommon to have a typical A320 flight fully boarded within 10-12 mins or 15 mins if its chokka. Overhead bin space can become a bit of an issue up the front on the odd flight if its full but priority boarding isn't going to fix that.

The arrival of the A321neo for domestic is going to change that slightly but dual boarding is of much greater benefit.
libertyuk likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2022, 5:48 am

Programs: NZ Gold, BA Gold, QF Silver, IHG Platinum Elite Ambassador, Accor Diamond
At peak times it wont be worth much, because half or more of the passengers will be Elite/Gold/Koru. This is my experience of QF domestic priority boarding in Oz. A peak time A330 takes a while to board, but the queues for priority boarding can be long in themselves and QF lets both queues board at the same time. Dual boarding OTOH basically delivers most of the benefits, as most priority customers will be in the Space+ front half anyway and the remainder in the rear.
Old Apr 17, 2022, 8:50 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Locker space on the average NZ 320 on domestic services is rarely an issue, even on rush hour flights. Many people are up for the day and maybe have a laptop bag. Domestic US flights seem to be populated with passengers incapable of travelling light and really push the limits on those two carry-on items. I really don't know what they pack for a day or two of meetings.
US first class is perhaps the worst space for the premium passengers. One locker contains IFE controls and the locker opposite seems to be dedicated to cabin crew bags. And no one seems willing to stuff something under the seat in front of them (though I often get the bulkhead pax stuffing their bags under their own seats into my leg space.
My regular ATR flights never bulk out for locker space. Long may it continue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.