Search

Elite changes coming??

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2022, 9:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*E, QF-G, EK-P
Elite changes coming??

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...RCWHDEUUFR4WY/

“The airline has formed new partnerships during the past two years and was about to relaunch its scheme for top-tier flyers to make it easier for them to get upgrades on flights. It was investigating launching a programme for customers who prioritised sustainability initiatives.”
Old Feb 13, 2022, 9:31 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
At the moment hardly anyone can get upgrades because that requires international travel (and on 787/77w).

As for rewarding sustainability perhaps something like QF green card (announced but not yet live)?
Old Feb 14, 2022, 12:45 am

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
New tier is my guess above Elite but below their exclusive internal tier.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 1:44 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
I'm now sure how they can really make getting upgrades easier.

Historically the problem has been one of so many people actually buying seats in premium cabins that there simply isn't space for lots of upgrades.
Kiwi Flyer likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2022, 5:37 pm

Programs: NZ *E
Every time in the past they have "improved upgrades" usually it's a big step backward (eg. when they introduced the OneUp auctions), so I'm a little nervous what they will change.
Old Feb 15, 2022, 6:48 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Until they ungrade their business cabin, I have very little interest in whatever is coming. There are plenty other airlines that offer better Business product and charge what NZ charges for Premium Economy. For instance, SYD-HND-FRA on NH in Business return can be had for just $5k including their The Room business product.
poopbunny, W91238, Fliar and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 3:30 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G)
Originally Posted by bce1
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...RCWHDEUUFR4WY/

“The airline has formed new partnerships during the past two years and was about to relaunch its scheme for top-tier flyers to make it easier for them to get upgrades on flights. It was investigating launching a programme for customers who prioritised sustainability initiatives.”
Now that borders are opening I've booked two flights from the US: one to AKL and one to RAR. What has stood out to me is in the past when I booked this far in advance, my upgrades usually were processed immediately. That is not the case at the moment. I noted that while the seat map shows no one has selected a seat in Business, the upgrades are still pending, whereas in the past I received instant notification of approval (and I know the seat maps are not 100% reliable as to bookings, but in the past the same situation would have upgrades processed immediately).

Also, and I have never seen this before, on every flight to Raro from LAX beginning in November, 6 of 18 Business seats are blacked out (1A through 6A are not available to select). In the past only two seats would be unavailable - but now it is 33% of seats unavailable. Once again, the upgrades are still pending whereas in the past they would have been processed immediately (and again, I know the seat maps are not the official indication of how many people have booked, but I seriously doubt any elite has bought a ticket this far in advance for the days I am flying from LAX to RAR).

I mention it because in the past I always received notifications immediately, given how far in advance I book for flights that do not have many elites, whereas now it seems like they are not processing elite upgrades like they used to. It suggests to me something different is going on. And again, I am basing my current experiences on past experiences. All criticisms of my comments are appropriate, but keep in mind I have a large body of data to work with based on past travels.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 4:35 pm

May be they haven't added the right fare bucket yet? As well until the announcement which is happening now there is no fix dates on anything, so is just an indicative schedule so don't want too many confirmed upgrades if need to shuffle things around. And also changes based on loads.

Also if blocked out on Raro flight is that for crew positioning? Before schedule fully going again. Don't know what Raro's border is as they are different to NZs border.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 8:20 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
A seats on the 789 aren't being used at present.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 11:20 pm

Programs: NZ*E, UA*1K, QF Plat
Originally Posted by sbiddle
Not quite accurate.
AKL-LAX this week had a full j cabin, including A seats.
I reserved 1A, was bumped to 6A for 'crew covid spacing requirements', then 1A was allocated to a late successful upgrade. 1A seat reservations are generally not sticking right now.
Fliar likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2022, 3:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*E, QF-G, EK-P
I assume he meant Award seats.
I have 4A and 5A for next week!
Old Mar 16, 2022, 1:29 pm

Flew AKL-SYD in BP the other week and had pre-selected 6A, however, on check-in had been moved to 6K. Wasn't too fussed so didn't even bother asking about it, but noticed onboard that everyone was in J/K, so assume since the cabin was only 50% full, they preferred to keep everyone to the same aisle for ease of service.
Old Mar 16, 2022, 1:33 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by sbiddle
Why is that?
Old Mar 18, 2022, 4:11 am

Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by taupo
Why is that?
From my understanding it was to allow the crew to ‘social distance’ from the passengers. Air NZ were previously restricting the number of seats available for sale (i.e. on the V2 787 with 27 J seats they were only selling 18 of them) and putting all pax into the J/K seats.

It now appears that they are opening up the full availability. It’s quite likely that Air NZ’s res control team just haven’t removed the block from the A seats. I flew recently AKL-SYD and was in 9A. Flying back tomorrow in 9A as well. Full flight over and appears completely full tomorrow as well.
taupo likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 12:12 pm

Programs: NZ*E, QR Plat
Originally Posted by LyingFlat
From my understanding it was to allow the crew to ‘social distance’ from the passengers. Air NZ were previously restricting the number of seats available for sale (i.e. on the V2 787 with 27 J seats they were only selling 18 of them) and putting all pax into the J/K seats.

It now appears that they are opening up the full availability. It’s quite likely that Air NZ’s res control team just haven’t removed the block from the A seats. I flew recently AKL-SYD and was in 9A. Flying back tomorrow in 9A as well. Full flight over and appears completely full tomorrow as well.
Good to know. Flew BP NZ 123/124 for the weekend and cabin full. A seats were all occupied when I booked which I thought was strange - (3A is my fav) so a lag from previous blocking makes sense.

p.s. flew last weekend and check in was SUCH a pain... premium check in had not opened so it was 1.5 hours in the line. It seemed that nearly every second person once they got to the checkin counter didn't have their documents sorted!! (despite an hour in the cue) VERY annoying!
Hopefully as it all becomes more "normal" and with premium check in .. this will improve.
ottiehund likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.