Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Empty flight to NZ (New Zealand)? LAX-AKL NZ5 (UA codeshare)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2022, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan

Currently (20220211) the rule is (essentially) no-one can fly to NZ except NZers currently in Oz (Australia). This rule is in effect until March 13 (2022).
So who could be on United flights from LAX that show on the website now (before March 13)? I can't think of almost anyone who could get on. Is United (going to be) flying empty planes to NZ?

EDIT: I guess people who were able to get into MIQ could come from anywhere in the world, but that would be quite few people. Is United flying (almost) empty planes to NZ?

Last edited by passenger66; Feb 11, 2022 at 3:45 pm
Old Feb 11, 2022, 3:40 pm

Programs: UA
Perhaps cargo? There have been a few other threads about United flying empty planes to various places. For example, the SFO-PVG flight appears to be cargo only, but I suppose Shanghai is much more lucrative of a cargo destination than New Zealand is.
Old Feb 11, 2022, 3:48 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by passenger66
So who could be on United flights from LAX that show on the website now (before March 13)? ...
What is the flight number you are seeing?

All I see on united.com is NZ 5 flight (UA codeshare 6753)

UA cargo flights would be UA28xx
Old Feb 11, 2022, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

I only went as far as putting in dates - and it came up with flights and prices. Did I miss something (obvious)?
Old Feb 11, 2022, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Currently (20220211) the rule is (essentially) no-one can fly to NZ except NZers currently in Oz (Australia). This rule is in effect until March 13 (2022).
So who could be on United flights from LAX that show on the website now (before March 13)? I can't think of almost anyone who could get on. Is United (going to be) flying empty planes to NZ?
What "United flights from LAX that show on the website now"? Is it a code share on Air NZ?

Your interpretation of who can fly into NZ now and in the future is not correct.
Those NZ citizens, NZ permanent residents and limited others with a pre booked quarantine(MIQ) slot are arriving and will continue to do so. That includes LAX-AKL NZ5 [code Shares: AC 6092, AS 9510, LH 7164, TK 8727, UA 6753]
From 27 Feb NZ citizens, NZ permanent residents and limited others in AU can arrive and self isolate for 10 days
Progressively NZers from other parts of the world, and then vaccinated others with a visa can enter (with 10 days isolation).
Will be a long time before NZ will be fully open (no quarantine)
Old Feb 11, 2022, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Yeah I edited my post to say MIQ people could come, but still, how many people is that? I still am wondering is United really flying almost empty planes to NZ? I dunno, just wondering.
Old Feb 11, 2022, 4:04 pm

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
Yeah I edited my post to say MIQ people could come, but still, how many people is that? I still am wondering is United really flying almost empty planes to NZ? I dunno, just wondering.
United is not flying any planes to New Zealand. The LAX-AKL flight is operated by Air New Zealand.
Old Feb 11, 2022, 4:05 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion

EDIT: I guess people who were able to get into MIQ could come from anywhere in the world, but that would be quite few people. Is United flying (almost) empty planes to NZ?
MIQ + cargo until it slowly opens up. but i'm not seeing UA metal on the route.
Old Feb 11, 2022, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah I edited my post to say MIQ people could come, but still, how many people is that?
I still am wondering is United really flying almost empty planes to NZ? I dunno, just wondering.
The total arriving in NZ per day is a few hundred at most
https://www.mbie.govt.nz/business-an...d-allocations/
https://www.miq.govt.nz/about/media-...s-and-figures/

Like others above I cannot find any UA aircraft flying to NZ
https://www.aucklandairport.co.nz/flights [airport web site[
https://www.auckland-airport.net/akl...-international [unofficial web site]
SQ is also flying into CHC 2 times per week
Old Feb 11, 2022, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

Yeah sorry I used United website - didn't think of who owned the metal.
But gee, there can't be many people on those planes.

Last edited by passenger66; Feb 11, 2022 at 4:24 pm
Old Feb 11, 2022, 4:38 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
As this concerns NZ5 and NZ travel requirements and not a UA operated flights, will move this to the Air NZ forum

WIneCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Feb 11, 2022, 5:27 pm

NZ5 (which may be shown on the United website as UA6753) is operated by Air New Zealand. These flights are by no means empty, in fact many go out very full.

Air NZ is selling flights from LAX to SYD/MEL/BNE via AKL so you may find quite a few people transiting on these services to Australia. In addition despite the requirement for MIQ there are still enough people entering NZ via NZ5.
Old Feb 11, 2022, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

Thanks.
Old Feb 11, 2022, 6:52 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by angetenar
Perhaps cargo? There have been a few other threads about United flying empty planes to various places. For example, the SFO-PVG flight appears to be cargo only, but I suppose Shanghai is much more lucrative of a cargo destination than New Zealand is.
There were flights to China being flown empty but the return flights were full. This could be the case as well. There is nothing that prohibits Kiwis from leaving.
Old Feb 11, 2022, 10:20 pm

Just bought a small container of Cherries 🍒 for $10 that were grown in New Zealand. At that price they could afford to ship them to USA in biz class

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.