Wiki Posts
Search

Aussie Again

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2021, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Silver A3 Gold Qantas Gold Accor Platinum
Aussie Again

Had noticed a few days ago that flight availability to/from places like Perth, Adelaide had not be loaded for April/May, Have just looked now and are now loaded from 19 April on so is that telling us something. Fares are on the pricey side though.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ClanJ
Had noticed a few days ago that flight availability to/from places like Perth, Adelaide had not be loaded for April/May, Have just looked now and are now loaded from 19 April on so is that telling us something. Fares are on the pricey side though.
New posts on the possible upcoming TT bubble better the main TT thread (Oceania-Australia-New Zealand-South Pacific forum)
Link--->https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ocea...l#post33108296
18 Mar 2021 (rnz.co.nz)----> Plans under way for trans-Tasman bubble by end of April
Government plans for a travel bubble between New Zealand and Australia are now in full swing - RNZ understands the plan is to have it in place by the end of April.
<snip>
New Zealand's hand "has been forced", he believes, after Australia backed out of talks in February. "So New Zealand has to act unilaterally in the same way that Australia has done towards New Zealand for quite some time. "Australia has had open travel to New Zealanders, for the most part, since October last year; it's been frustrating to the Australians New Zealand did not return the favour.
<snip>
18 Mar 2021 (stuff.co.nz)--->Trans-Tasman bubble expected to start by the middle of April
Old Mar 18, 2021, 5:03 pm

I'd wait. Not sure why they would be adding them before an announcement. Unless it's to get money to put into flight credits.

Also big catch no travel insurance is going to cover you if the bubble stops and need to stay in Aussie for an extended period.....
Old Mar 18, 2021, 5:06 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Also noticed that AKL-MEL/SYD/BNE have flights loaded from mid April. Although not think aircraft types are correct as some include 777s but it’s an reduced schedule compared to pre-covid.

SYD - 3-4x daily
BNE - 2x daily
MEL - 1x daily
OOL - 1x daily

Monday the 19 April seems to be the magic date , they are working towards.

Which is also school holiday’s I think?
Old Mar 18, 2021, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

CHC-MEL/SYD/BNE have also been loaded for the 18-19 April
Air NZ being very optimistic with so many flights on full TT bubble day 1.
Air NZ will be close to the NZ Govt for a TT announcement.

Edit
ZQN-SYD/MEL from 19 April

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Mar 18, 2021 at 5:46 pm
Old Mar 18, 2021, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
CHC-MEL/SYD/BNE have also been loaded for the 18-19 April
Air NZ being very optimistic with so many flights on full TT bubble day 1.
Air NZ will be close to the NZ Govt for a TT announcement.
Looks like schools finish on Friday 17 April, I take it they are expecting allot of demand.

If it gets announced on Monday I would expect an 48/72hr Tasman sale this week. With low entry point fares to create demand and get people back into travelling on the Tasman again.

Remember in early March 2020 they did that $69 Seat Only Tasman sale. I would expect something along the lines of that again to build demand.

Also plenty of New Zealanders have credit with NZ to use.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
School holidays start 17 April, finish 02 May:

Term 1
  • starts between Monday 1 February and Tuesday 9 February
  • ends Friday 16 April
Term 2
  • starts Monday 3 May
  • ends Friday 9 July

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Mar 22, 2021 at 7:12 am Reason: Font size
Old Mar 18, 2021, 8:45 pm

Programs: NZ *G
Right, what's the strategy now to minimize the risk of disruption for 1-week business travel? Base is WLG, and I understand the possibility of a 3+ day closure. Should I fly direct from WLG? Or connect via AKL because there are more scheduled options in case of cancellations or closure? I'm thinking that direct in/out (no internal AU flights) is probably the way to go for the time being.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sopwith7
<snip>
I'm thinking that direct in/out (no internal AU flights) is probably the way to go for the time being.
From the risk of closing of state border (sudden or with X hrs notice) flying direct to the state of destination has less risk.
In AU some people are reluctant to cross a state border, particularly the QLD state borders.
May improve over time.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 10:43 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
Yeah. For me, a bubble isn't really a bubble I am interested in, if cases could result in me landing in MIQ on the way home from my holiday. I really want to travel again, but not like this. I think its great for people with more serious reasons to go and risk it (see: visiting family) but for a foodie holiday to go dine around Melbourne for a week? No thanks.
​​​
Old Mar 18, 2021, 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer
Yeah. For me, a bubble isn't really a bubble I am interested in, if cases could result in me landing in MIQ on the way home from my holiday. I really want to travel again, but not like this. I think its great for people with more serious reasons to go and risk it (see: visiting family) but for a foodie holiday to go dine around Melbourne for a week? No thanks.
​​​
What will be interesting to watch is what happens in July, Australia and Singapore start an travel bubble does New Zealand join?
Old Mar 18, 2021, 11:18 pm

Programs: RFC
Originally Posted by cavemanzk
What will be interesting to watch is what happens in July, Australia and Singapore start an travel bubble does New Zealand join?
That's one of the sticking points right now. Australia are being completely cavalier about how to handle that and want to "We can sort it out if it comes up" while NZ govt is insisting that some scoping plans *at least* be done.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 11:25 pm

I think the loaded schedule is a bit of a joke. BNE-AKL has quite a few 777 flights loaded in and I highly doubt they're going to pull 777's out of storage just for these trans tasman flights.

Likewise, fares are very expensive and new routes like the HBA-AKL haven't been loaded with the comment they'll be loaded once the bubble is announced. To me it seems Air NZ is hoping that some may book now but fares will 100% come down once Qantas, Virgin and Jetstar all announce their plans.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 11:31 pm

It looks like they have just loaded Flexi Fares at the moment in place holder flights.

There are 3x 77Ws in short-term storage at AKL, yesterday the two at the hangars look like they had recently been moved an had some of there covers removed.

Also these schedules are reduced from pre-covid eg AKL-BNE was 4x daily.

I think if there is demand we could see a couple of 77W back in service for the Tasman. The 789s have been kept very busy on freight hauls which probably will keep going for most of the year.

AKL-RAR has normal flights loaded from the 12 April, which are all a321NEO and reasonable prices. Expecting RAT bubble to be announced this week, with the Cook Islands PM visit....
Old Mar 19, 2021, 3:05 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by cavemanzk
What about Oct when Aussie (at the moment at least) intends to open its borders up to everybody?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.