Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Recognition Upgrades during the COVID-19 era

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2020, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*G, back of the bus UA, corner of the MLL AC.

Looking at flying back to NZ later in the year and struggling to find any data points on upgrade successes out of LAX.

I know the flights are capacity constrained based on MIQ numbers, is this making RU's easier?
Old Oct 20, 2020, 2:41 pm

Though the have pulled back on the number of PAX flights. So when they pay for cabin crew it is fuller.
Old Oct 20, 2020, 3:13 pm

Programs: NZ *E
The flights (LAX-AKL) are trending towards full now and they aren’t preconfirming any upgrades before check in.

They’ve also zeroed out all the cheaper fare buckets (eg. J class for BP) when they load the flights in.

I can’t help feel a sense of price gouging given the fares are now artificially set at levels higher than I would get on a usual trip in peak season.

It does give me concern that they are selling seats until the plane is completely full, not allowing any social distancing on these flights. A little disappointed in Air NZ with this compared to what less “premium” carriers like Southwest and Alaska are doing here with reduced capacity
samyoull likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2020, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by samjnz
The flights (LAX-AKL) are trending towards full now and they aren’t preconfirming any upgrades before check in.

They’ve also zeroed out all the cheaper fare buckets (eg. J class for BP) when they load the flights in.

I can’t help feel a sense of price gouging given the fares are now artificially set at levels higher than I would get on a usual trip in peak season.

It does give me concern that they are selling seats until the plane is completely full, not allowing any social distancing on these flights. A little disappointed in Air NZ with this compared to what less “premium” carriers like Southwest and Alaska are doing here with reduced capacity
From what I can see on EF (and from anecdotes on the NZHQ facebook group) these flights aren't going out full - but yeah the bucket inflation is frustrating.

I'm not too concerned about social distancing, just deciding whether to pony up another US$1K to make sure I'm not in Y.
Old Oct 20, 2020, 6:31 pm

Programs: NZ *E
Take a look at the seat map for NZ1 this Thursday
Old Oct 20, 2020, 8:33 pm
Original Poster

Take a look at the seat map for NZ1 this Thursday
Wow, looks like all flights are zeroed out until the 10th
Old Oct 21, 2020, 2:44 am

But isn't that an "apples to oranges" comparison? Two large(ish) domestic carriers in a HUGE market...vs...a TINY international carrier?
Old Oct 21, 2020, 2:56 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Silver
Skycouch? Cheaper, lie flat. No one in your row. Take your own food on board if there’s something special you want etc.

I’m a bit OTT and have masks, protective eyewear, wipes, gloves, hand sanitizer & surface sanitizer small spray bottle. I’ve only worn the mask and never felt the need to use the rest in Oz. From the US there’s a good chance I’d use more of those things.
Old Oct 21, 2020, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NZbutterfly
Skycouch? Cheaper, lie flat. No one in your row. Take your own food on board if there’s something special you want etc.

I’m a bit OTT and have masks, protective eyewear, wipes, gloves, hand sanitizer & surface sanitizer small spray bottle. I’ve only worn the mask and never felt the need to use the rest in Oz. From the US there’s a good chance I’d use more of those things.
No skycouches available for the days I'm looking - will probably bite the bullet for PE at this point, looks like I'll be able to burn upgrades pretty easily on the way back.
Old Nov 22, 2020, 11:17 pm
Original Poster

Just to follow up, flew NZ5 last night and my RU cleared straight after online check in (which curiously seemed to open in the app at T-4)
trooper and NZbutterfly like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.