Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Air New Zealand Business or United Polaris

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2020, 6:53 pm
Original Poster

Hello all, I would love your opinions:

I have a chance to either experience business class from LAX -> AUK

I can either take Air New Zealand business or United Polaris (via San Francisco)

Interested in which you prefer in terms of the overall experience (including lounge access)

thank you in advance!
Old Jun 7, 2020, 6:58 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Lounge access is identical for both - Koru in AKL and Polaris in SFO.

As for what is the best you won't get an answer in here. There are people who believe NZ has the worst business class product in the world, and those like me who believe it offers the best sleep in the sky.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BoldAndRestless
Hello all, I would love your opinions:
I have a chance to either experience business class from LAX -> AUK
I can either take Air New Zealand business or United Polaris (via San Francisco)
Interested in which you prefer in terms of the overall experience (including lounge access)
thank you in advance!
Air NZ does not fly to AUK (~frequent joke) Great Circle Mapper
When are you planning to travel?
Is possible UA will not fly SFO-AKL post covid-19.
Better to wait until closer to the flight to see which airlines are flying
Old Jun 7, 2020, 7:12 pm

Programs: Air NZ Koru, Air NZ ELT *G, IHG Spire Ambassador, Emirates, Flying Blue, QANTAS Club
Have used the Polaris Lounge in SFO, it is great. So is the "Koru" lounge at Tom Bradley LAX. It can be quite busy with the timing of the flights down to NZ. Never flown Polaris Business Class but frequent user of the Air NZ business class product. 787-x feels a bit snug. The layout is more cramped but lie flat bed is the same. 777-300/200 same seat / bed but just a more spacious lay out, more wriggle room. Never had an issue with the sleep in either.

All pre COVID so who knows what the lounge experience will be like going forward.

Just my 2 cents worth
BoldAndRestless likes this.

Last edited by kiwicyclo; Jun 7, 2020 at 8:44 pm
Old Jun 7, 2020, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by kiwicyclo
Have used the Polaris Lounge in SFO, it is great. So is the "Koru" lounge at Tom Bradley LAX. It can be quite busy with the timing go the flights down to NZ. Never flown Polaris Business Class but frequent user of the Air NZ business class product. 787-x feels a bit snug. The layout is more cramped but lie flat bed is the same. 777-300/200 same seat / bed but just a more spacious lay out, more wriggle room. Never had an issue with the sleep in either.

All pre COVID so who knows what the lounge experience will be like going forward.

Just my 2 cents worth
In LAX can also use the Polaris lounge if don't mind the airside walk. Is handy when arrive on a UA flight.
Old Jun 8, 2020, 12:41 am

Programs: NZ*E, UA*1K, QF Plat
I have flown both this year and currently Polaris is better.
More space and privacy. More efficient on board service. Much better food options on UA (I never thought I would say that). At one time the AirNZ food was very very good but cost cutting has meant recently it has been poor.
Safe travels
poopbunny and BoldAndRestless like this.
Old Jun 8, 2020, 2:36 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Pre-Covid, the UA seat was more comfortable and more private, the NZ tray table was much better, NZ service and food and wine were infinitely better (though who knows what either airline is currently offering in that regard?). For me, it often came down to price.
Old Jun 8, 2020, 2:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
If OP is based in the NZ, then Polaris.

UA may chop AKL anytime (as SFO-AKL has gone seasonal before COVID-19). So try it before too late.
Old Jun 9, 2020, 12:33 pm

Programs: *A NZ Gold Elite for over 20 years previously SQ PPS and UA 1K
NZ or UA

You might want to check what the refund policies are for flights that don’t operate before deciding 😁
Old Jun 9, 2020, 10:14 pm
Original Poster

thank you all for the feedback and suggestions! I'm thinking if all schedules stay the same...fly United Polaris to New Zealand, and then Air New Zealand Business going back. Best of both worlds. (Not sure why I didn't think of that before)
Old Jun 10, 2020, 1:11 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by BoldAndRestless
thank you all for the feedback and suggestions! I'm thinking if all schedules stay the same...fly United Polaris to New Zealand, and then Air New Zealand Business going back. Best of both worlds. (Not sure why I didn't think of that before)
Please report back with a detailed comparison of the two.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by taupo
Please report back with a detailed comparison of the two.
Will do. Its not until early next year but i need to purchase the ticket soon. I'll put a reminder to reply to update this post then.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 5:57 pm

Good luck flying to NZ early next year. It's still a long time away but at this stage your chances of coming here sit very close to 0%
samyoull, brucelee and cavemanzk like this.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 11:35 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by sbiddle
Good luck flying to NZ early next year. It's still a long time away but at this stage your chances of coming here sit very close to 0%
Agree it would lucky if we even have travel between Australia and New Zealand by the end of the year...

There is allot of talk about an Tasman Bubble, but little happening.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 12:20 am

Originally Posted by cavemanzk
Agree it would lucky if we even have travel between Australia and New Zealand by the end of the year...

There is allot of talk about an Tasman Bubble, but little happening.
As I see it the rest of the world will just continue to open up and accept that minimising risk is the best way forward. That's not an approach compatible with NZ leaving us with the real risk of remaining isolated.

If Australia opens up its borders to other countries I can't see NZ wanting travel to Australia.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.