FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air New Zealand | Air Points (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points-440/)
-   -   Status Extensions (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points/2012492-status-extensions.html)

0100 Mar 19, 2020 1:05 am

Originally Posted by SFO_FT (Post 32205386)
in the email don’t seem to be working for me. Is there mention of whether expiry dates of the recognition upgrades are also being extended?

On the website they state: Frequent flyer benefits are unchanged and all unused Recognition Upgrades, Elite member Valet Parking eVouchers or Silver member Air New Zealand Lounge eVouchers will be valid until your current review date. The new benefits will be added to your account at the start of your new year, as is the case today.

I think this means RU's expire at your previous status expiry date. It would be best to buy flights for 2021 and apply upgrades ASAP if your original status review date is approaching.

Xiaotung Mar 19, 2020 1:12 am

Originally Posted by 0100 (Post 32205425)
On the website they state: Frequent flyer benefits are unchanged and all unused Recognition Upgrades, Elite member Valet Parking eVouchers or Silver member Air New Zealand Lounge eVouchers will be valid until your current review date. The new benefits will be added to your account at the start of your new year, as is the case today.

I think this means RU's expire at your previous status expiry date. It would be best to buy flights for 2021 and apply upgrades ASAP if your original status review date is approaching.

It appears that they will load 2 new RU's to your extended status when it renews. I didn't expect them to be this generous.

Also has anyone received their tenure Head Start Status Points that were meant to kick in from this month?

kathkiwi Mar 19, 2020 1:58 am

Good call Air New Zealand. Plus the online option to cancel bookings and request credit to be held for flights. Things may change further of course, but right now it feels like loyalty coming in our direction. Thanks. Looking forward to reciprocating once all this is sorted.

mmonster Mar 19, 2020 4:21 am

A bit too late, I had a pair taken away from me when my trip is cancelled... they said mine have expired

kiwifrequentflyer Mar 19, 2020 4:38 am

Originally Posted by 0100 (Post 32205412)
I know that when I first got an Airpoints credit card with bonus 200 airpoints, it also added status points at the rate earn for the card. For Kiwibank platinum they gave you 200 free Airpoints. Their earn rate for Airpoints is 1 for every 75. So 200 x 75 = $15,000 worth of spending. Their earn rate for status points is $200 = 1 status point. $15,000 / 250 = 75 status points. I got 75 free status points just for signing up for that card and then cancelled it. Now I think they require you to put $1000 on a card to get the extra points. I do not know if they still add the status points or if this was a hidden feature/bug at the time. This was in 2017.

You will be Elite until February 2022, unless you hit elite retain before 2021, in which case the banked year just stays in your account for the next time you fall to gold.

The days it is definitely APD only

bce1 Mar 19, 2020 10:44 am

I am very pleased with the outcome.
But they aren’t doing it to be nice, they need us to recover in 3-6-9-12 months and without their HVC base it will be slower and more expensive for the .govt doing the bailout.

But it is recognition that there is a degree of symbiosis in our relationship with them.

taupo Mar 19, 2020 11:14 am

This is great news.
Already close to having enough SP's to requal for November. Assuming my September flight is still a go, will easily requal and then have a banked year which I would be unlikely to ever earn on my own merit.

mccma Mar 19, 2020 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer (Post 32205880)
The days it is definitely APD only

I got 100 SP when I got the Kiwibank plat card last year.

nzjay Mar 19, 2020 2:03 pm

With the 900m loan, 12 month status extensions, and finally enabling easier cancellations online, looks like the boat isn't rocking as much! I've still converted some of my APD to Mitre10 vouchers to diversify my "investment", but pretty pleased overall with the result.

Rebound Mar 19, 2020 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by nzjay (Post 32207975)
With the 900m loan, 12 month status extensions, and finally enabling easier cancellations online, looks like the boat isn't rocking as much! I've still converted some of my APD to Mitre10 vouchers to diversify my "investment", but pretty pleased overall with the result.

Up to 900m in the form of a loan, given that after May 2020 Air NZ will most likely hemorrhage $400m a month - it's no where near the 2-3bn they need to survive beyond 12months.
$600,000,000 with an effective interest rate initially expected to be between 7% and 8% per annum and a second tranche of $300,000,000 with an effective interest rate initially expected to be in the order of 9% per annum.

0100 Mar 19, 2020 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by mccma (Post 32207970)
I got 100 SP when I got the Kiwibank plat card last year.

Due to your answer, I think you still get bonus status points when you get credit cards. It's just not published anywhere because it seems to be simply a feature of their system. When you get 200-300 "free" Airpoints it also seems to add the equivalent amount in status points. :D Very cool, and something more people could use to get extra points should they need 100 to make status.

freemark Mar 21, 2020 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by Rebound (Post 32207990)
Up to 900m in the form of a loan, given that after May 2020 Air NZ will most likely hemorrhage $400m a month - it's no where near the 2-3bn they need to survive beyond 12months.
$600,000,000 with an effective interest rate initially expected to be between 7% and 8% per annum and a second tranche of $300,000,000 with an effective interest rate initially expected to be in the order of 9% per annum.

Meanwhile various other groups are handed out $Billions no questions asked. Not hard to see the priorities of this mob.

Rebound Mar 21, 2020 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by freemark (Post 32216919)
Meanwhile various other groups are handed out $Billions no questions asked. Not hard to see the priorities of this mob.

Exactly,

Those who are hoping for a redundancy package will be .... out of luck at Air NZ im sorry to say, and i think the job losses will be huge in the months ahead :(

edmm Mar 21, 2020 10:43 pm

We (wife and I) are really pleased to get an extra banked year each, with all that is going on. I think it is really generous. We are putting multiple flights into credit, and if we lose the money that is a small price to pay compared to the huge number of NZ staff who will lose their jobs.

Gasfoodlodging Mar 21, 2020 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by freemark (Post 32216919)

serious question, what are these various other groups you speak of?

tourism operators, general wages earners I’m aware of...others??