Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Air New Zealand’s New Edible Coffee Cup

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2019, 7:48 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..

https://viewfromthewing.com/the-onbo...le-coffee-cup/

Old Dec 4, 2019, 8:37 pm

Do flight attendants wash their hands before every tea/coffee service? Or the food cart handles? Does the cup get plonked on the tray table? What do you get on your hands unlatching the tray table?

The whole concept seems slightly inherently unhygienic...unless they wrap them in plastic!

I also note the cups sell for ~$4 each so definitely a publicity stunt rather than a "trial" of a practical solution to reducing single-use cups.

Last edited by ps107; Dec 4, 2019 at 10:00 pm
Old Dec 5, 2019, 4:40 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite
They probably just use gloves, it's no less hygienic than a bread roll being put on a plate with tongs. You can probably just ask for a paper towel or, if you are like me, you hold it and drink it immediately anyway.
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 2:14 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G)
As someone with Coeliac disease, this seems disastrous. I wouldn't be able to use the cup at all and it dramatically increases the chances of cross-contamination, which I have to worry about. Based on the picture associated with the article, my days of being able to drink tea on board would be over. I need a traditional cup that hasn't had gluten-based crumbs fall into it. If I can't be sure it's safe, I can't drink it.
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 2:19 pm

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
Originally Posted by SeaProf
As someone with Coeliac disease, this seems disastrous. I wouldn't be able to use the cup at all and it dramatically increases the chances of cross-contamination, which I have to worry about. Based on the picture associated with the article, my days of being able to drink tea on board would be over. I need a traditional cup that hasn't had gluten-based crumbs fall into it. If I can't be sure it's safe, I can't drink it.
its a trial... i m sure regular cups will be available too
kiwifrequentflyer likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by Rebound
its a trial... i m sure regular cups will be available too
Yes, I presume so. But as I said, based on the pic it dramatically increases the chances of crumbs cross-contaminating my cup. Even the possibility of crumbs reduces my chances of being able to drink out of a traditional cup. If you don't have Coeliac it's hard to appreciate how even small crumbs and cross-contamination can make you seriously ill. I simply can't take chances with such things.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 12:09 am

Yes, I presume so. But as I said, based on the pic it dramatically increases the chances of crumbs cross-contaminating my cup. Even the possibility of crumbs reduces my chances of being able to drink out of a traditional cup. If you don't have Coeliac it's hard to appreciate how even small crumbs and cross-contamination can make you seriously ill. I simply can't take chances with such things.
Whenever I see someone with a rare disease like this saying things like this, I do have to point out: they literally can't cater to everybody, with all allergies. They will have normal cups onboard for people that don't want this, or who are gluten intolerant, but most gluten intolerance is not a serious allergy that is kicked off with cross contamination. If someone has a serious allergy that can be easily kicked off by simple cross-contamination, the onus is really on them to be vigilant, because there are many, MANY allergies out there & public food & drink can literally not appeal to them all.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 12:32 am

If the coffee cup is good to eat, will they now work on the meals and make them edible?
ps107, poopbunny and kiwicyclo like this.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer
Whenever I see someone with a rare disease like this saying things like this, I do have to point out: they literally can't cater to everybody, with all allergies. They will have normal cups onboard for people that don't want this, or who are gluten intolerant, but most gluten intolerance is not a serious allergy that is kicked off with cross contamination. If someone has a serious allergy that can be easily kicked off by simple cross-contamination, the onus is really on them to be vigilant, because there are many, MANY allergies out there & public food & drink can literally not appeal to them all.
It's not actually that rare - it's estimated about 1 in 100 have it (compared with roughly 1 in 200 adults for peanut allergies in the US). And yes, vigilance is always required, but there are some things airlines can do not to exacerbate the situation, just as there are precautions I can take. For example, one thing I could do is always take a window seat so that these cups are not being passed over me to someone else.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 4:33 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Does Cookie Time make an eatable cup? If so they have just reduced the domestic offering, into an all in one offering.
ps107 likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 6:49 pm

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cavemanzk
Does Cookie Time make an eatable cup? If so they have just reduced the domestic offering, into an all in one offering.
And the corn chips would form a cup for hot soup :-)
Old Dec 7, 2019, 1:26 pm

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
I imagine they’ve worked out the cost of providing this cup and no longer having to provide singe use hot cups or any snack (I’m pretty confident NZ will say the cup is now the snack as well as the hot drink vessel). Just these and reusable water cups would streamline things a lot more from a logistics point of view.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 3:31 pm

It's not actually that rare - it's estimated about 1 in 100 have it (compared with roughly 1 in 200 adults for peanut allergies in the US). And yes, vigilance is always required, but there are some things airlines can do not to exacerbate the situation, just as there are precautions I can take. For example, one thing I could do is always take a window seat so that these cups are not being passed over me to someone else.
The difference with the peanut allergy is that while it's rare in the population, within the world of allergies, its one of the more "common" deadly allergies. And so even if cross contamination was unlikely ("just don't take the peanut bag") considering how bad the consequences could be, it's not worth the risk. They are not even comparable for this example.

I am sure there is a small chance that someone's cup will get crumbs in it, but the vast vast vast majority of the time an Air NZ staff members pours a cup of coffee into a normal cup, there will be no crumbs. Considering how unlikely that is, taking away a fun, nice, environmentally friendly option for 99% of people just because at some point, someone will get a crumb in someone's cup and they may be the 1% of the population with a gluten intolerance, does not feel like a reasonable reaction.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 4:46 pm

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
all this excitement over crappy instant coffee? The only time I drink coffee on AirNZ is after a long flight - when I am desperate for caffeine
ps107 likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 6:59 pm

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
A friend and I both laughed out loud on getting to the end of the story - it's not pandering to vegetarians, vegans or those with food allergies. Good on them

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.