Wiki Posts
Search

Changes to Fastbag - 1 February 2020

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2019, 7:04 pm
Original Poster

Changes to Fastbag - 1 February 2020

Just saw an email about this.

So Fast bag is now just one bag per person.

https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/fast-bag#changes-feb20

From 1 February 2020 we're improving your Fast Bag experience

Fast Bag is simple and effective and we're making one change to improve on the efficiency of this exclusive regional travel benefit.

From 1 February 2020 a new limit of one Fast Bag at 15kg will apply, instead of two bags. The weight of the Fast Bag remains the same. If you're travelling with more bags, or a bag weighing more than 15kg (and no more than 23kg), please check these in normally. Any oversized, overweight, fragile, sporting items, carseats/strollers still need to be checked in within the terminal before boarding.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 8:59 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
I'm really surprised they haven't clamped down further on it considering the number of bags I've seen on a few flights this year. It would be interesting to know how many people actually have a seat+bag fare to actually be entitled to use it.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 9:17 pm

Programs: AirNZ Airpoints Elite
Originally Posted by sbiddle
I'm really surprised they haven't clamped down further on it considering the number of bags I've seen on a few flights this year. It would be interesting to know how many people actually have a seat+bag fare to actually be entitled to use it.
Agreed, I’ve regularly seen chaos with non status, non entitled pax innocently(?)dropping a bag on the trolley over last couple of years. It’s a great benefit (except when ground staff slow to unload) but could be managed better IMHO.
Side note that last few DOM flights I have noticed overheads full - I normally take C or D seats rows 5-8 and board late but the amount of back packs etc filling up the overheads seems to be increasing and they’re often very full.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 10:45 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by sbiddle
Ironically on the JQ q300 services they would of this service to all passengers provided it was within there allowed carry-on limit. In some case staff would encourage it.....
Old Nov 25, 2019, 10:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cavemanzk
Ironically on the JQ q300 services they would of this service to all passengers provided it was within there allowed carry-on limit. In some case staff would encourage it.....
QF does the same in Aussie.
Given that carry on often doesn't fit in wheels first so takes up too much on over head, is handy for the door check/pick up
Old Nov 26, 2019, 12:39 am

Programs: NZ *E, QF Gold, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, PanPacific Platinum
But how will that be effectively policed? Most times the “wagon” has noone present, and I wonder if any ground staff will raise it to pax?
Old Nov 26, 2019, 12:49 am

Programs: NZ*G
I love the spin here, "improving" our FastBag experience by halving the allowance.
What next? "Improving" seat comfort by halving the thickness of the cushion? Oh, wait, I think they did that already.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 12:08 pm

Programs: Air NZ Koru, Air NZ ELT *G, IHG Spire Ambassador, Emirates, Flying Blue, QANTAS Club
Ive seen fast bag policed quite thoroughly on the AKL - GIS sector. Lots of flyers (trying to) piggy backing on which is a very good benefit. Tag checks and boarding pass checks made . . . .
Old Nov 29, 2019, 12:44 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand
Have started to notice it being policed on a few recent flights. There was a gate agent standing at the trolley checking tags and BPs. Been caught out a few times as I was on occasion only on a Seat fare. Back in the Eagle 1900D days it was policed quite a bit, although I would suppose that was more for weight and balance.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 4:45 pm

If I'm carry on only but have two bags I often ask if I can fast bag one if it's a busy flight and nobody has ever said no.
codyc1515 likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 5:03 am

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by HighFlyingKiwi
Have started to notice it being policed on a few recent flights. There was a gate agent standing at the trolley checking tags and BPs. Been caught out a few times as I was on occasion only on a Seat fare. Back in the Eagle 1900D days it was policed quite a bit, although I would suppose that was more for weight and balance.
Are you not supposed to use FastBag on a Seat Only fare? Even for legal carry-on size?
Old Dec 1, 2019, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by mad_atta
Are you not supposed to use FastBag on a Seat Only fare? Even for legal carry-on size?
Nope. Fast Bag is a benefit when you're on a fare with a baggage allowance.

https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/fast-bag
Old Dec 1, 2019, 2:43 pm

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Oops! Didn't realise that. Pity, as it's such a good way to alleviate the pain of tiny overhead bins when travelling with legal carry-on that nevertheless hogs all your personal space on the prop aircraft.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 7:29 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mad_atta
So you have to pay the extra $10 for Seat+Bag fares so you get to haul the bags to and from the terminal for Air NZ - sounds about right.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CHCflyer
So you have to pay the extra $10 for Seat+Bag fares so you get to haul the bags to and from the terminal for Air NZ - sounds about right.
Also $10 to turn up later at airport, if check-in online only have to make boarding time and faster to get bag at end.

That said would be nice if on seat only could do a cabin sized bag, to save the over head bins which are too small a lot of the time. Would be a nice Elite perk. The bag is going on the plane regardless does its location really matter?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.