Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

R class not available Singapore to Auckland?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

R class not available Singapore to Auckland?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2019, 1:45 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Diamond
Thanks good to know it might just be Singapore and not a global change
Old Oct 27, 2019, 5:04 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QFWP, IHG Plat, *wood Gold
I have a pending upgrade for AKL-SIN using 2 RUs for Wednesday
Only booked late last week. Seat map has around 8 “empty” biz seats in expert flyer but no R class listed (C and D and Z though)
chances? I am assuming that I am looking for R class to move into Biz?
dj
Old Oct 27, 2019, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by djsteve
I have a pending upgrade for AKL-SIN using 2 RUs for Wednesday
Only booked late last week. Seat map has around 8 “empty” biz seats in expert flyer but no R class listed (C and D and Z though)
chances? I am assuming that I am looking for R class to move into Biz?
dj
R class is never exposed to external systems. A max of two R class are released on a flight.
When doing upgrades the week before the flight, revenue management will do upgrades based on the probably of selling the seat as revenue.
The seat map means nothing, can you make a dummy booking for eight seats? That will tell you actually how many seats are actually left unsold.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 6:06 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QFWP, IHG Plat, *wood Gold
Originally Posted by nzkarit
R class is never exposed to external systems. A max of two R class are released on a flight.
When doing upgrades the week before the flight, revenue management will do upgrades based on the probably of selling the seat as revenue.
The seat map means nothing, can you make a dummy booking for eight seats? That will tell you actually how many seats are actually left unsold.
Thanks for the information.
still says pending in my booking so will see at checkin and keep fingers crossed
Old Oct 29, 2019, 3:20 pm

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
Just booked AKL-LAX and LAX-LHR for Sep 2020 in PE on NZ6/NZ2 combo for 2x pax. Used 2x RU's and 2x Elite APD upgrades and both sectors upgrades confirmed immediately with 2x R class available on both flights.
mad_atta likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 12:00 am

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Mirrors my recent experience for AKL-SFO-AKL in Aug/Sept next year. My first choice of flights had 2x R class available so I didn't bother exploring any more dates to check how much other availability there was.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 12:27 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Diamond
Good news re both. Thank you for feedback
Old Nov 30, 2019, 10:55 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G), IHG Spire Elite, Accor ALL Gold
Just tried getting RUs confirmed for AKL to PVG in October next year return and no luck. Agent was surprised he couldn't find any. He did say that they can choose not to release them in advance for certain flights, so maybe revenue management are looking at excluding certain flights.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 3:50 am

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by BZNZ
Just tried getting RUs confirmed for AKL to PVG in October next year return and no luck. Agent was surprised he couldn't find any. He did say that they can choose not to release them in advance for certain flights, so maybe revenue management are looking at excluding certain flights.
Not releasing R class on a route that they release the most I class? That's just crazy!
Old Dec 1, 2019, 11:37 am

Programs: NZ Elite *G, QF Gold, Accor+ Diamond
If they're really doing this, it massively devalues the primary benefit of Elite status.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 3:07 pm

The other thing of note is that it was a Type 1 787 so not that many premium seats, could have something to do with it.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 11:37 pm

Programs: NZ*E, QF-G, EK-P
Just gone to book a companion ticket for December / November.
No R class going into or out of North America - except a single seat into Houston and a single seat out of LA via Rarotonga over a 4 week period.
Appreciate they could have been snapped up already - but I have never encountered this 11 months out before.....
Old Jan 5, 2020, 10:53 am

Programs: NZ *E
Originally Posted by bce1
Just gone to book a companion ticket for December / November.
No R class going into or out of North America - except a single seat into Houston and a single seat out of LA via Rarotonga over a 4 week period.
Appreciate they could have been snapped up already - but I have never encountered this 11 months out before.....
This combined with the huge price increase for Elite Airpoints upgrades is a bad sign
Old Jan 5, 2020, 11:49 am

I think the end is here for guaranteed upgrades in advance. I suspect the changes are because NZ would like it's Elite to actually pay for J and too many would seek to fly J using only R class.

So far confirmed availablity is nil on flights to SIN, PVG, and now most of NA. Sounds like we are out of luck.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 8:30 pm

Programs: NZ Elite *G, QF Gold, Accor+ Diamond
Originally Posted by BZNZ
I think the end is here for guaranteed upgrades in advance. I suspect the changes are because NZ would like it's Elite to actually pay for J and too many would seek to fly J using only R class.

So far confirmed availablity is nil on flights to SIN, PVG, and now most of NA. Sounds like we are out of luck.
And yet many people could only justify paying NZ's high prices for premium seats because they're offset by some cheaper flights from advance upgrades. If NZ take away advance upgrades, they may lose those people and their paid fares altogether.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.