Wiki Posts
Search

AKL secondary screening

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2019, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
AKL secondary screening

I flew out to SFO on Friday night and secondary screening wasn't in place. A fairly well connected source says this has now ended. Anybody heard anything about this?

The whole thing has been very secretive from the start so I wouldn't expect anything official to be announced.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 11:03 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Started on the 9th October. Just random selection at departure gates for further questioning.
Probably have the same pick up rate as questioning everyone
Old Oct 12, 2019, 12:18 pm

Programs: NZ*E, QR Plat
Originally Posted by NZbutterfly
Started on the 9th October. Just random selection at departure gates for further questioning.
I think the OP is talking about the screening that used to take place for flights departing for the USA - this is now no longer occurring. Glad but unsure why/what changed.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JANZFlyer
I think the OP is talking about the screening that used to take place for flights departing for the USA - this is now no longer occurring. Glad but unsure why/what changed.
This is the same thing.

I was just told it stopped earlier in the week but my source couldn't say any more. As I mentioned earlier was always of the understanding the US was requiring this as part of some sort of deal so it is interesting that it would just suddenly stop.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 12:43 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Thats exactly what I’m talking about. Started 9th October.

Normal check-in process as for any destination.

At departure gates passengers may be randomly selected for further questioning. I didn’t count how many agents were questioning but saw at least 2. So there is still screening but it’s no longer mandatory and now occurs at departure gates.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 1:03 pm

Programs: NZ*E, QR Plat
oops my bad!
Old Oct 12, 2019, 3:34 pm

Programs: NZ *G
This is good - and long overdue - news. The screening was a pointless joke and when I went through it last month it seemed like the agents were going through the motions.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 5:07 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Emirates Skywards Gold, Priority Guest Rewards Platinum
Does this mean check-in for the USA flights will now open 3 hours before as opposed to 4 hours due to the secondary checks?
Old Oct 12, 2019, 5:41 pm

same change in europe, starting about one year ago, "random" selection of persons to be interviewed (agents with a list)
Old Oct 12, 2019, 8:18 pm

Great to see them go.

Also they get really confused when you go off their expected script.

E.g.
Them: Where are you going
Me: LA then straight to Vegas
Them: Have you been there before
Me: Yes
Them: So you enjoy Vegas?
Me: No I hate the place
Them: Confused looked, pause, then "Why are you going?"
Me: Its a good conference in a crap place
jeffrocowboy, Markhm and mad_atta like this.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 8:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nzkarit
Great to see them go.

Also they get really confused when you go off their expected script.

E.g.
Them: Where are you going
Me: LA then straight to Vegas
Them: Have you been there before
Me: Yes
Them: So you enjoy Vegas?
Me: No I hate the place
Them: Confused looked, pause, then "Why are you going?"
Me: Its a good conference in a crap place
LOL. I had exactly the same duscussion last year. Glad they weren't there on Friday or I would have had the exact same discussion again!

I also struggled with the "has anybody had access to your bags" question. Yes lots of people could have accessed my bag since I dropped it off at WLG..
Old Oct 15, 2019, 10:16 pm

Programs: NZ Gold, BA Gold, QF Silver, IHG Platinum Elite Ambassador, Accor Diamond
Originally Posted by NZbutterfly
That's exactly what happened at SYD leaving for the US a week and a half ago.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 4:12 pm

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
Originally Posted by sbiddle
LOL. I had exactly the same duscussion last year. Glad they weren't there on Friday or I would have had the exact same discussion again!

I also struggled with the "has anybody had access to your bags" question. Yes lots of people could have accessed my bag since I dropped it off at WLG..
what happens if you say yes I wonder - my partner nearly always packs my bag :-)

only recent time to US - I got SSSS (extra check/swab at Auckland, extra check/swab/xray and disappeared with my passport for 15 minutes at first US domestic flight)
Old Oct 17, 2019, 11:34 pm

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AS, AC, QF
As annoying as this could sometimes be, I've seen worse. The LH FRA YVR flight has a gauntlet of security--to preclude asylum seekers or overstayers rather than violent extremists--and has for many years. Being white and travelling on a Canadian passport is somewhat mitigated by my swarthy, bearish look. But it makes the whole boarding experience feel like a bus station.
mad_atta likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 3:52 pm

Programs: NZ Elite
Yesterday there were 2 agents checking passports and BPs before entering the gate area where the US flights where scheduled to depart from. The line moved pretty quick and no questions were asked.
They were sending people randomly to a separate area for additional security screening though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.