Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Skycouch with young family - booking two

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2019, 6:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card

Hi

Never flown air NZ but we are contemplating a trip down there (from London) with our two kids (ages at flight would be 3.5 yrs and 9 months respectively. So one needs own seat, one will need to be on lap at takeoff / landing).

Looking at the options if we fly Air NZ, skycouch looks great, but I am assuming that in order to actually get the benefit we might actually need to book two of these (so in both cases probably an adult in the aisle seat and the nipper in the window and middle, with the footrests up.

Is that a sensible way to do it? (presumably we need the pod thingy for the baby).

Is it generally ruinously expensive that way?

I have a lot of oneworld points (and BA Gold / OW Emerald status) so I'm not ruling out using OW flights. I'm just intrigued by the skycouch (and also have family in LA, so a stopover there is also an option).

Thanks a lot for any info
Old Oct 1, 2019, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by Pascoe
Hi

Never flown air NZ but we are contemplating a trip down there (from London) with our two kids (ages at flight would be 3.5 yrs and 9 months respectively. So one needs own seat, one will need to be on lap at takeoff / landing).

Looking at the options if we fly Air NZ, skycouch looks great, but I am assuming that in order to actually get the benefit we might actually need to book two of these (so in both cases probably an adult in the aisle seat and the nipper in the window and middle, with the footrests up.

Is that a sensible way to do it? (presumably we need the pod thingy for the baby).

We sat behind a young family (mum, dad, toddler, baby) who did just this on a flight to Tokyo. This was during a travel period where NZ had been offering Skycouch upgrades for $1 so it may be that they just took advantage of that, but the layout certainly seemed to work well for them. I know opinions on this board are mixed about Skycouch but I quite like them, and from what I've seen from those who use them with kids is that they can de-stress the whole 'travelling long haul in Y' experience with young children.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 4:52 pm
Original Member

Hi

I have a lot of oneworld points (and BA Gold / OW Emerald status) so I'm not ruling out using OW flights. I'm just intrigued by the skycouch (and also have family in LA, so a stopover there is also an option).

Thanks a lot for any info
Old Oct 1, 2019, 5:01 pm
Original Member

I think the skycouch is an excellent way to take young children on a long distance flight.
It’s the best option for them to get good hours of sleep. You would have to have two rows, as a parent must be with each child. You can lie with a child and settle them, and possibly with the wee one actually stay there and nap yourself. Your older child should also will be very comfortable but you may have to just sit at the end of that row, or rest with them.
I love the skycouch, have slept in them better than business class lie flat beds. It seemed to be darker as it was lower down.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 8:34 pm

Programs: NZ *E
Hi, yes book 2 adults, 1 child, 1 INF and then add 1 x skycouch. 1 skycouch would allow you to have child in window, middle empty and aisle seat for adult + INF. Other adult would then be in a standard seat across the aisle. If you book 2 x skycouches it would be much better as the adults can have a row each with 1 child. You don’t have to use the INF pod but it’s good for safety. If you don’t use INF pod, the INF can just wear the skycouch INF harness, this allows then to safely sleep in the skycouch space with adult or other child using ‘skycouch loop belt’.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 8:51 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
Another unequivocal yes for two sky couches.
It takes the trip from cruel and unusual punishment to a journey that you can look forward to.

The adult can either prop themselves against the window with legs straight out across the couch, or lay in fetal position snuggling the little one.
Erasmus III likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Thanks all

I am thinking that unless there's really very little difference between 2x skycouch and 3x J seats, that that's likely to be a winner.

That way when both nippers want to sleep, adults can sit, and other times potentially my wife and I could tag team in 1 skycouch while the other sits with the kids in the other.

So in short, it'd just give us great flexibility.

Assuming of course that we can actually bag 2 skycouch rows, together, on the dates that we need (which can be somewhat flexible).
Old Oct 2, 2019, 1:32 pm

Assuming of course that we can actually bag 2 skycouch rows, together, on the dates that we need (which can be somewhat flexible).
Unless you are looking to travel over school holidays or booking very close in I would be surprised if you could not buy two Skycouch rows.
trooper likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 5:45 am
Original Poster

Mid - end Jan most likely

So actually I am not assuming at all that it's a given.

Also am probably going to try and break it up. Potentially both ways, and potentially different cities each time (LAX with Air NZ on one journey and quite possibly SIN on the other).

So I am just trying to get a sense right now of how good the product is and whether to factor it in my plans

The info is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old Oct 3, 2019, 12:13 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
It's good to see the Skycouch finding a market now for parents + children after the focus moved away from a couples "cuddle class" seat.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 1:12 pm

Programs: UA HA AS
We are a family a 4. Kids will be 5 and 7 at time of travel. Would 2 sky couches or 4 premium economy seats be better for HNL-AKL?
Thank you
Old Feb 13, 2020, 2:19 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by waddy
We are a family a 4. Kids will be 5 and 7 at time of travel. Would 2 sky couches or 4 premium economy seats be better for HNL-AKL?
Thank you
Sky couches are better for the kids as they can lay out flat.
PE seats are better for the adults (IMO at 6'4") and better service level.

My teenage kids (5'6" to 5'10") prefer two to a sky couch as opposed to PE.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 8:05 pm

Programs: Air NZ *E, IHG Ambassador, Qantas Gold, Marriott Platinum Elite, HH Gold
I would suggest Sky Couch as the arm rests are immovable in PE so they can only curl up in a ball on the seat provided. Sky Couch allows the kids to lay down, head on your lap etc. When I travel PE with the four year old I take his pillow from home inside my carry on then use that to squash against the armrest which allows him to sort of lie over the armrest with a bit more comfort. I find the younger kids don't benefit from the reclining seat as they end up slipping down them. I certainly have a better flight in PE than on the Sky Couch - but it's all about the kids these days!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.